Sunvisor for Zumo 550? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Sunvisor for Zumo 550?

I see that they make those sunvisors for various GPS units but not the Zumo 550. Is that because the receiving unit for the GPS needs to be exposed to the sky? Someone told me that. Otherwise they look pretty handy on a sunny day. Now I know some people will say they just tilt their's a certain way and they don't have a problem with the sun and that's great. Just was thinking if they make one that comes close to fitting....why not. BTW....I will be using the GXM-30 for XM and weather.

thanks.
Kent

Kent Fellers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 3:55 am

Re: Sunvisor for Zumo 550?

I don't find it's needed on the Zumo like the others.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 2:41 pm

The Zumo's display is supposed to be designed for use outside, that is, brighter than the Streetpilot models that are designed for use inside a car. I have read that the Zumo display not quite as bright as the marine models but I've not seen them side by side.

When the sun is behind me shining directly on the Zumo it washes out a little but is still visible. I don't have trouble seeing the display when the sun is overhead.

That said, I was surprised to find that the display reflects off the inside of the windshield at night. I thought about making a hood for it, or maybe putting some spacers in the upper screws in the cradle to angle it down a little. Only a minor annoyance so I've not gotten to it yet.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Thumbs up Re: Sunvisor for Zumo 550?

I just mounted my Zumo 550.I used a Migsel mount,so far I have'nt had any problems with the sun washing out the display.It seems to be brighter than the unit I use in my truck.Now I have to get the XM on board,have to mount the speakers.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:59 am

I made a simple sun shade out of the cover of a black three ring vinyl notebook. I just laid the gps out on the back cover, drew the shape I wanted, cut it out, attached velcro to what would become the top and sides of the sun shield and corresponding velcro strips to the top and sides of gps. The top edge of the shield overhangs the top of the gps by about 2 inches and the same on the sides except they slant back so they are even with the side of the gps at the bottom. Works like a charm, looks like it was made and marketed just for my gps and cost nothing. (Remember it has to be a vinyl notebook; the older style with cardboard covered in vinyl won't work.)
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:00 pm

cyclenutz.com
Send them an e-mail. They don't have it listed on their website but, a friend bought one for his ZUMO while we were at the MOA rally last week.
The stock design fit pretty well but he trimmed the interior support plastic to customize it a little more and he's pretty happy with it.
Auto
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by autogiro
cyclenutz.com
Send them an e-mail. They don't have it listed on their website but, a friend bought one for his ZUMO while we were at the MOA rally last week.
The stock design fit pretty well but he trimmed the interior support plastic to customize it a little more and he's pretty happy with it.
Auto
Hey - I saw his sunvisor after he made the modifications - looked like it was made for the Zumo even though it's (originally) made for the 28XX series and at $15 it's a bargain!

Here's a link to it...
http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/gp..._magellan.html
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 3:57 pm

I needed one This worked for me http://www.glarestomper.com/

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in