City Nav North America Map Update 2009 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:36 am Thread Starter

City Nav North America Map Update 2009

Okay, here's the solution on installing CNNA Map Update 2009, which I could find no where on the internet. So I'm hoping this will help someone......

After maybe 45 minutes on the Garmin Tech Support line, the phone was answered my Shabla or something-close-to-that. Needless to say, the gentleman was not from Kansas. I told him what I posted in the original post, that I could not install CNNA Map Update 2009 (aka CNNA MU 09).

He of course said it was my laptop problem, that 4.0 gb was not enough room to install the software. I asked him to verify because I thought he was simply evading helping. He spend 15 minutes trying to find something in writing at their site.....finally did - the install is SUPPOSED to require 3.5 GigaBytes. I have never heard of a PC mapping program that needed that much room, but whatever. We uninstalled about another 250 mb worth of programs and files from my PC, and tried again. This time my C drive properties showed 4.3 GB free space. The install has started and I was told it will take about 2 hours to complete......

Wish me luck! Anyone wanting to install this version of CNNA better have at least 4.5 GB free disk space on their HDD or they will go nuts like I did......

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:32 pm

Re: City Nav North America Map Update 2009

I'm sorry to say it took me 9 hours to get mine updated. I wrote support about the ordeal of it taking two computers, two GARMIN com cables to finally get it installed. I had errors on, the install wizard on one computer, the update wizard on the other, and communications errors with both cables on one computer. The one computer that didn't have the communication errors wouldn't run the install wizard. I was able to find the MSI on the CD and run manually. I was able to register with the computer that had the com error, and get my unlock code from the website so I could do a manual install on the other then finally load the maps to the GPS. I don't wish those problems on anybody.

The computers HP AMD one laptop, one desktop with Vista home and Vista business.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 9:25 pm

Are you loading the NT version or the standard version? I loaded the standard version for the Navigator II and it went without a hitch. As far as the storage requirements, you can go to control center then add/remove and remove all previous maps except for your original version. The whole USA and Canada will then load on a 2 gig card easily.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 9:26 pm

I forgot to add that the download to the card took about an hour and a half from start to finish.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
Are you loading the NT version or the standard version? I loaded the standard version for the Navigator II and it went without a hitch. As far as the storage requirements, you can go to control center then add/remove and remove all previous maps except for your original version. The whole USA and Canada will then load on a 2 gig card easily.

I (original poster) did the NT version install.

I use 3 PCs with this software to route plan, etc, for the BMW Nav III, so I had to install the software on those three PCs. In each case it work fine as long as I had 4.0 gb or so free, HOWEVER, they were very slow installs (around 90 minutes I think?), and the GPS had to be connected to complete each install. That's only something we have to do once (per PC) so it's not a big deal.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in