Success story, thanks and a question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Success story, thanks and a question

I just finished mounting a Zumo on my '05 LT. I probably made the task more complex that it needs to be, but I wanted every ounce of functionality I could come up with as well as a clean installation. To me that meant XM radio and nav weather, keeping the BMW's speed sensitive volume as well as Garmin's built in override priorities, getting it all via the headphones or speakers. It all worked!

The Garmin audio output is routed to the audio system "Aux" input via the cable BMW sells for cars. The Garmin phone output only is routed to the Autocom via bluetooth. Nav overrides everything, phone overrides XM or MP3,and the music from either source is stereo. The only thing that doesn't take advantage of the speed sensitive volume and the on board speakers is the phone, and that seems fine to me.

The whole mess rides on a Touratech lockable mount screwed to a BMR adjustable mount, sitting on a co-pilot, with the XM puck screwed down to the right outrigger. Other than the ones that mount the co-pilot, all the screws are stainless security screws that require a special tool. Looks clean, and anyone who wants to steal it will find a way no matter what, but I've made their task as difficult as I can

It took forever (ok, all day in 90 degree sun. that's close enough to forever) because of the audio cable hook up. that meant removing the stingray and consequently the upper tupperware as well. It all works just as it should and it looks fine.

There simply is no way I would have done this without this group. I found all the tech advice I needed regarding the tupperware removal as well as the means to pipe everything to the audio auxiliary input. It helps a good bit to be able to find so may people with so much experience all in one place. All It was a great learning experience, and thanks to this board, not a frustrating one.

Now then, one question remains. The auxiliary input was obviously designed for an amplified signal, resulting a large volume difference between that and the onboard radio. The answer, I suppose is some sort of amplifier. Anyone have a good solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Re: Success story, thanks and a question

For anybody doing the same sort of install, I found two possible solutions on the Zumo forum. One works marginally, the other promises more.

A Boosteroo -a battery operated in-line amp available from Radio Shack for about $25 seems to substantially increase the volume level. Below 60 mph or so it is acceptable as long as the audio system volume is at 100%. Above that, not so good. It's headed fro ebay soon.

The Amplirider -$65 from the builder www.electric-avenues.com is a bike powered in line amp with a separate volume control. As soon as it arrives I'll follow up on how well it works, but judging by the specs it should do fine.

The Boosteroo has a max output of 32 mw, the amplirider a max of 610 mw rms at 32 ohms, ergo almost 20 times the output. That should allow me to synchronize the Zumo and XM output to be equal to what the rest of the bike's audio system does.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:33 am

I was going to recommend the Boosteroo but I see you have discovered that already; I have the Boosteroo II which is quite good. I think the amplification is greater. Not a problem for me tho' as I come directly out of Garmin 478/GXM-30 with plenty of output.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks.

I think the diminished volume from the LT's audio system has more to do with that system than the garmin unit. When I run it to my Autocom comm system, it does fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in