Zumo 550 SOLVED! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 SOLVED!

The problem of wiring the Zumo 550 into a late model LT with VOICE II is solved - kinda...

With the pinout from the stock cable I was able to see which connector expected the speaker signal. I went to Radio Shack and purchased a 3 foot audio cable and cut one end off. I plugged the other end into the ZUMO audio out connector on the mount.

It turns out the stock cable has a connector with two wires, a yellow and a white. This plugs in under the stingray to a connector that has a brown wire and a white wire. I cut the connector off the stock cable with enough yellow and white wires to splice.

The Radio Shack cable was stereo. I suppose I should have bought one that was mono - oh, well. I spliced the red wire to the white wire and the ground wire with no insulation to the yellow wire. I plugged the connector into the comm connector under the stingray. EVERYTHING WORKED! The priorities are correct. Even though it's mono it still comes through both speakers in your helmet. You control the Zumo volume on the Zumo and the rest using the handlebar switch.

This is still problematic if you wish to use the XM radio or if you have music loaded into your Zumo 550. This is because if it is connected this way the Zumo will continue to have priority and you won't be able to use your intercom mikes. Since I don't use the XM radio this doesn't matter to me. I will plug my iPOD into the aux for music and use the Zumo for nav only.

I imagine you could do this a different way and it will save you a lot of work. If you haven't yet disconnected the stock cable, as I had, you could cut the top end off. Connect the Zumo power connector to the red (+12) and black wires and put a small mono audio jack from radio shack on the yellow and white wires as described above. I haven't tested this, but it seems like it should work. That will save you from hooking up power somewhere and taking all the plastic and the stingray off. Before you plug everything in, check the 12v to make sure it's correct.

Maybe BMW won't fix this because of the versatility of the Zumo, with it's XM and Traffic, Cell Phone connections through blue tooth, etc. I suppose a solution that would make everything work correctly would require a redesign of the com system.

So if you're capable of doing a bit of cutting and splicing, try this and you may be satisfied with the results. Or you can wait for BMW to solve it and grow very old...

Bob

Regards,

Rdog
'07 K12LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in