Zumo 550 wired in to VOICE II on LT ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 wired in to VOICE II on LT ?

I am thinking of adding a Garmin GPS to my new 08 LT with the factory comm system. I know I can use a 2820 and be wired in to the factory system. However, I would like to find out if anyone has investigated using a Zumo 550 in place of the 2820 or NavIII ? I think this should be able to be done and hope one of you out there has already been through the pain.... I am not looking at going the bluetooth route and really am not concerned with my cell phone connecting in. I am thinking that the Zumo is the future for Garmin and that the 2820 might be the last of a dying breed. Any thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:16 pm

Re: Zumo 550 wired in to VOICE II on LT ?

Why would it be any different than the 2820. You would just plug the output of the Zummo into the Aux of the Voice II. A friend of mine just bought a refurbed 2820 bundled with the GMX30 antenna for $499 with a 3yr warranty from Getfeetwet.com, thats one heck of a price.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:47 am Thread Starter

The difference would be that the 2820 would use the factory harness to connect in and would allow me to use the AUX input for an iPod. But, if there was a way to use the same connection in from the Zumo to the factory harness I would be inclined to get the Zumo. If not then I guess I get the 2820.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Ah yes, this question has been kicked around here before, and I have a post on it somewhere down the list.

The main problem, as I see it, is priority. You don't want the passenger deciding they have something to say just as you're looking for the next turn, or yourself speaking over it. And you can't listen to the radio, CD, or your ipod at the same time if you're plugged into AUX. You need Garmin audio to have priority while you are able to use the other comm functions.

BMW has been no help at all. So I'm experimenting with building my own cable. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Bob

Regards,

Rdog
'07 K12LT
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:47 pm

It works. See my post zumo solved - kinda. The cable is one thing, but using XM and talking is another. If you don't have a passenger, shouldn't be an issue.

rdog

Regards,

Rdog
'07 K12LT
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

rdog,
I read your Zumo Solved post and I think I understand what you did in your cutting and splicing. I have read about the 2820 and understand that the only thing you will get priority out of it on the LT will be mono sound for nav. The MP3 player output is stereo and requires the audio to go out a separate cable and into the AUX port on the VOICE II system. I think that is the same on the Zumo. I previously had a 2005 Goldwing with an iWay 500C attached through the AUX cable and it was stereo. The iWay mp3 player came through fine and the audio prompts from the gps also. At all times the intercom was functional. I don't know how the LT systems will work out but I have high expectations!
BTW I ordered a 2820 for my NAV since it meets my requirements and also will attach with no effort to the BMW mount. And an iPod will be my music source. Hopefully the intercom will be functional at all times, even when the AUX is the audio source.
Interesting post on the Zumo. I am not quite that brave to cut into a new bikes wiring like that! Thanks for your efforts and sharing the info with us all. As you say BMW should be stepping up here!
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbremer
rdog,
... I have read about the 2820 and understand that the only thing you will get priority out of it on the LT will be mono sound for nav. The MP3 player output is stereo and requires the audio to go out a separate cable and into the AUX port on the VOICE II system. .... I don't know how the LT systems will work out but I have high expectations! Hopefully the intercom will be functional at all times, even when the AUX is the audio source.
The 2820 works in two modes: one if the AUX output, i.e., "stereo" mode (3.5mm plugged into it and the Voice II); the other if no cable is plugged into the 2820, i.e., the "mono" mode (like when you use your iPod plugged into the Voice II). In the first mode, the 2820 sets the priorities for all of the Garmin outputs when using the 2820 Music Player software (whether it be the GXM-30 XM radio, internal music stored on the Garmin unit, and the Audible books). In this mode the Voice II then only modifies the priorities for the GMRS/FRS radio bike to bike input and the telephone inputs. As I recall, the Voice II will trump the Garmin unit if either a GMRS call is in process or a telephone call is received, thus you may miss Garmin audible turn instructions on occasion.

In the second mode, when I use my iPod and plug it into the Voice II, I also disconnect the 3.5mm cable from my 2820. Without the cable plugged into the 2820, the Garmin instuctions are piped through the intercom system via the mono connection of the Navigation prep wiring on the bike. The Garmin instructions then will trump your iPod music. The other Voice II priorities are as I stated above.

When you switch between the Garmin modes, stereo via cable or mono via the Nav prep power cord you may have to adjust the sound output for each of your audio sources (the Garmin, bike radio, iPod, etc) so you don't blast out your ear drums or so you can hear the various audio sources.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:21 am

Interesting information about the street pilot having two audio outputs, one going to the aux input of the com sys. I can easily duplicate this with the Zumo by getting a stereo audio splitter (Y-cable) from my buddy at the Radio Shack down the street to plug into the Zumo mount. I didn't bother removing the cable that I had run to the aux port so this will be a piece of cake. Then I can switch out the iPOD cord for the Zumo if I want. That would also mitigate the XM radio issue if I ever order the service. COOL!

As I said in one of my previous posts, I chose the Zumo over the street pilot because it comes with two mounts and I use the suction cup mount (which has a speaker) in my truck. I also throw it in my bag when I travel for work. It seems to be very versatile for the price - though not the perfect solution in any of the applications.

This is my first experience with the BMW com system. My first LT didn't have one so I was using an Autocom pro M1, which was good. My '07 came with VOICE II, so I ordered the headsets and I'm using it. There have been lots of questions, and an abundance of help on this forum. I went for a nice ride this weekend in Maine and discovered the nav instructions don't go to the passenger. More learnings. That doesn't bother me, but annoys the "co-pilot". The Y-connector can address that, though. Other than that, this thing- the whole com system with the Zumo- works great (if nagging from the back seat is great :-) ) iPOD tunes, conversation, and directions.

Thanks everybody!

rdog

Regards,

Rdog
'07 K12LT
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Upon further reflection I think the y-cable will not work. This is because the XM or MP3 output would not be exclusive of the directions output - they only output from the one jack- so everything is coming through to the com system the priority would override the aux and mikes.

None of this really maters in a rider-only configuration, and it doesn't matter if you don't use MP3, XM or Bluetooth, as I don't with the motorcycle application.

BTW, I purchased the Zumo when I still had my '01 LT with no com system or nav hookups. It would serve multiple purposes. I had an autocom system and a cable to plug the Zumo in. When I got the '07 it had the hookups and mounting bracket there, but I had a Zumo. So my decision was whether to continue to use the autocom so I could use the Zumo or buy the BMW headsets and use the included new VOICE II. Dealer assured me if I chose the VOICE II and switched headsets the cable to connect the Zumo would be forthcoming. So I never thought of a choice between 2820 and Zumo. And I am happy with the result. Cutting the new cable was not scary for me since I had already removed it from the bike and it was just sitting on my workbench for a year. Just expensive junk from my perspective. Good source for a connector to complete the hookup in the end.

Now I can sell the Autocom setup.

Regards,

Rdog
'07 K12LT
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Expensive junk.....I have had a lot of that sitting around! Haven't got the 2820 yet but it is on the way. I am looking forward to having some kind of NAV capability again. Then I will fit this to my RT / Autocom setup so I can use it on both bikes. For me this is part of the fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in