Out with the old, in with the new - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Out with the old, in with the new

I've just picked up a used LT today... my first. It is a 2002 and has the original GPS which is not very intuitive and I don't have any manuals to put me in the right direction, no pun intended. I'd like to scrap the old and get a new one but don't know if I can just pick one up at Walmart or do I need one specific for motorcycles.

Any suggestions / advise would be helpful. I'd keep the original one if I thought I could get it to work but I live in Virginia and the damned GPS keeps telling me I'm in Tampa. POS!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Garage
Re: Out with the old, in with the new

you will find motorcycle specific will be your best option, for a start they are water proof. garmin 2610 2720 2820 zum0 550 tomtom rider, just to name a few. you can use any gps though it is up to you.
Here is a photocopy of the gps manual hope it helps

Edit: just had a thought this manual is for the european gps model it may be different than yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	18552  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gps Manual.pdf (544.9 KB, 76 views)

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:28 pm.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:20 pm

Jim,

When I got my 06 LT, it came pre-wired for the BMW Navigator. Because the BMW GPS was so much more expensive than a Garmin ( and Garmin makes the BMW Navigator anyway), I contacted Garmin to see which of their models would work with the existing wiring. They gave me several choices and I went from there. I would up with a 2730, which I really like because the XM radio & traffic receiver was included in the cost of the unit unlike some of their other units.

I'd give Garmin a call & see what they recommend.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Well let's start wtih what you have and go from there. There were basically three models of GPS for the LT.

The Navigator (Nav) I is a rebranded Street Pilot III. It has an ajustable antenna (sticks stright up usually) and a round power cable.

The Nav II is a rebranded 2610. Some people like it a lot and manuals and software support is availabel on garmin's web site.

The Nav III is a rebranded 2820. I have one of these and like it quite a bit. I don't like XM radio and don't mind that the BMW units don't support it. The 2730/2820 do support it however if that is your preference.

The 26x0/27x0/28x0 series all have a rectanguler layout and a proprietary power connector that looks like a rectangle with one end kind of squeezed a bit. It also fits ion a mount with 4 extra buttons on the left side.

From what I recall all the Navigator wiring ties in directly to your intercom system. I know the Nav II/III does. And that is import for your future upgrade choices, because if you choose to buy a new GPS that does not use your existing wiring, you'll need to do your own or buy a BMW installation kit (kind of pricy for what you get).

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:13 am

Jim,

I am in VIrginia Beach. I would be happy to show you my install of the Zumo 550. I just ordered my XM antenna a couple of days ago.

Either post here or PM me and we can meet for coffee if you would like.

I just did 200 miles today around VA Beach, Norfolk, Suffolk, down to Moyock, then back home.
Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:19 pm

Getfeetwet.com has refurbed 2820 bundled with the GMX30 antenna for $499 including a 3yr warranty.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
The Nav II is a rebranded 2610. Some people like it a lot and manuals and software support is availabel on garmin's web site.
I am unfortunate to have the Nav II. The reason I say unfortunate is that I am lacking any manuals or accesories to update the system. Infact the system was never even initialized from the first owner of the bike which tells me he never even turned it on.
If this manual or any info is available on the Garmin page I sure could use the link. I seem to be running in circles looking for it and without any support the GPS is useless to me.
Brian
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Brian,

Have you registered your unit with Garmin? If not you should. That sets up a personalized page to give you access to the various updates and offers.

If not, start with this ...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

Click the first link and download and install the WebUpdater. That should update your firmware.

And supposedly BMW has updates as well, but all I could find on the web in a search was for the I or III.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZ
I've just picked up a used LT today... my first. It is a 2002 and has the original GPS which is not very intuitive and I don't have any manuals to put me in the right direction, no pun intended. I'd like to scrap the old and get a new one but don't know if I can just pick one up at Walmart or do I need one specific for motorcycles.

Any suggestions / advise would be helpful. I'd keep the original one if I thought I could get it to work but I live in Virginia and the damned GPS keeps telling me I'm in Tampa. POS!!!!!
Jim, you probably have the BMW version of the Garmin StreetPilot III. Before you go off and buy another GPS make sure you can easily mount it to your bike. There is tons of informaiton on this board about GPS and various mounting options. Personally I went with the Garmin 2820 and have it mounted on a BMR shelf. I built a mixer so I can either listen to MP3s from my GPS or listen to my Sirius.
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 5:20 pm

OK guys I have a Street Pilot 3 on my 99 Klt and was thinking of upgrading to a newer Garmin since I cant upgrade the database on my unit.

Allot of choices outthere but it appears that some of them are very costly and I think I might have to change the docking mount.

Any suggestions here on which unit offers the best bang for the buck. Note that I already have my XM, Cell Phone and Ipod working on the bike with no problems so I dont have to have the newest unit available.

Other questions that come to mind are, can I use the same mount and antenna / comm / power connections to the bike that I currently have going forward? What about using my Mapsouce software to build routes and then download them to my Garmin GPS no matter what model?

I guess you get the drift here LOL!

Thanks

Steve A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Stack.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	19740  

Last edited by stevea2980; Sep 23rd, 2008 at 5:36 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in