2820 screen blinks when xm puck is connected - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

2820 screen blinks when xm puck is connected

I don't post often, as usually I can find the answer to a problem by searching the lt.net site, but I can't find this problem at all.

I already had the nav II and voice on my 2003 lt. This was all installed back in 2003 when I purchased the bike, but I wanted to listen to xm all in one unit. So I bought a new 2820 and I replaced the bmw mount, with the appropriate Garmin mount and I purchased an xm puck.

My problem is that when I connect the xm puck the 2820 screen begins to blink on and off. You can still hear voice commands and the xm radio, so it's not turning on and off. When I take the 2820 and xm puck to my car and connect it all works fine, the screen doesn't flash. Garmin support said it might be the connector on the 2820 is bad and the lt motor makes it vibrate, but just with the key on and the engine not running on the lt it still blinks on and off.

My battery is about 1 year old and it's a BMW battery and I keep the bike on the BMW trickle charger when it's parked.

I've searched all over the web and found only one post about this last year on a goldwing board and there were no responses there. If you guys/gals don't know what to do, I guess I'll put my old roady back on the bike and just leave the puck in the car.

Oh yeah, everyone and a while I'll the GPS off and it doesn't want to come back on and then a few minutes later, voila, it's back on. This happens with on the bike without the xm puck installed.

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can provide.
David
Malakoff, TX

Last edited by dembones; Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:00 pm. Reason: wrong info on screen flashing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:23 pm

Re: 2820 screen blinks when xm puck is connected

I have had several connectors become intermitent, try using the car cable and plugging it into the aux socket (at the back of the tip-over bar) of the bike.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 6:49 am

Re: 2820 screen blinks when xm puck is connected

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I have gone from a NAV I, to a NAV II and now to a NAV III. As soon as I went to the NAV II, and as well with the NAV III, the screen started to flicker under certain conditions. It took me forever to figure out what was going on, because the battery is in good shape, all connections good, etc. What was going on, is that I have added multiple aftermarket brake lights/running lights to the rear of the LT, and all of these come into play when I come to a stop, which is when the flickering kicks in. After installing a volt and amperage meter, I was able to monitor all of this, and sure enough every time I applied the brakes with all those brake lights and if the volts being fed to everything dropped below 12v even a little bit, the flickering began, but if I kept the rpms up thus keeping the volts up enough to compensate for the additional drain, voila no flicker!

It could be that connecting the XM antenna causes the unit to have to work harder with the XM feature going maybe? Maybe not, but try using a volt/amp meter across the battery terminals under various conditions (engine running & XM ant connected; ignition on but engine not running and ant in and/or out...try both, etc., etc.) and monitor the volts to see if there is a relationship. Just a thought.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: 2820 screen blinks when xm puck is connected

Ranger6 was correct.

It works fine after the battery has been sitting on the charger and then when I hook up the xm puck with the v1 going and apply the brake, it's starts the blink.

I think the first day I hooked it up (xm puck) I had some other items hooked up as well.

Anyway, thanks to the ones that looked at my problem and scratched their heads and a big thanks to those that replied.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in