Nuvi 760 on the LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

Nuvi 760 on the LT?

I'm planning my 11,000 mile trip across all 9 provinces (yes, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfie included) and 25 states right now. My old SPIII simply doesn't have the memory capacity or computing power to guide me all that way. I've been afraid to mount my 760 on the bike for fear that the vibration might kill the hard drive in it. But now, I'm afraid I have to do it.

Does anyone have experience with a Nuvi on the LT for extended periods? I working up a kind of "soft mount" using heavy velcro so it's not a hard-tail mount directly to the body.

FridayBob Chalfant
University Circle, Cleveland, OH
'01 LTC in black, Elvira
126,000+ miles, 49 states, 9 provinces, Mexico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Re: Nuvi 760 on the LT?

Bob,

I can't comment on the some of your issues, BUT, the Nuvi is NOT waterproof like the SP series! I have never been up to NS and north of there without RAIN.

My recommendation would be to get a 27xx for your trip and be happy!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Bob,

I can't comment on the some of your issues, BUT, the Nuvi is NOT waterproof like the SP series! I have never been up to NS and north of there without RAIN.

My recommendation would be to get a 27xx for your trip and be happy!!
Good recommendation. I have the 2720 and agree. It was flawless on my last trip from 30 degrees to 105 degress and wind and rain.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Garage

The nuvi does NOT have a hard drive inside, it uses flash memory. I have used my 760 on a BMR shelf on my LT for quite some time with no problems. It is right in the line of sight so you don't have to take eyes off the road. The FM transmitter is not very strong so a 3.5mm cord from the line out of the nuvi to the AUX connection in the oddments box sends the music from SD card and voices from nuvi into helmet headsets. I tapped a cigarette plug into the dash light to power it up.
I carry a medium ziplock in tank bag in case it rains.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:49 am

Garage

Last week I did a 1,500 mile trip to the northwest area of Arkansas. I have a Street Pilot III mounted on a BMR shelf. I also took my Nuvi 350 with & kept it in the map case on top of my tank bag. I can't think of any reason not to use a Nuvi...just keep it dry.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"

Last edited by Ron_Kendall; Jun 27th, 2008 at 5:50 am. Reason: Spelling
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FridayBob
I'm planning my 11,000 mile trip across all 9 provinces (yes, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfie included) and 25 states right now. My old SPIII simply doesn't have the memory capacity or computing power to guide me all that way. I've been afraid to mount my 760 on the bike for fear that the vibration might kill the hard drive in it. But now, I'm afraid I have to do it.

Does anyone have experience with a Nuvi on the LT for extended periods? I working up a kind of "soft mount" using heavy velcro so it's not a hard-tail mount directly to the body.
I jury rigged a Nuvi 360 to my bike during my last trip because my 2820 froze up and would not boot after using the music player on it. The 360 was a great backup until I figured out how to reset the 2820 (start it holding the "FIND" button). I lost all of my user data but the 2820 came back to life.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 7:21 am
cws

Garage

Supposedly can be waterproof now... here's a link I just posted in another thread for waterproof Ram-mount box
http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mo..._box_mount.htm

I've recently bought a Nuvi760 for my partner (in-car), I've still got the good old 2610 on bike... maybe now I could pinch hers! ;-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 5:57 am

Greetings Bob.

Just purchased the brilliant NUVI 760 here in AU and have fittings for it for the cars and the LT thanks to the good people at RAM Mounts. It doesn't rain here in Australia and the NUVI gets plenty of shelter behind the big screen from bugs and dust. The best part of the NUVI is you can take it into your motel room and enter (if you haven't already) your next days riding.

With the exception of waterproofing, the NUVI 760 makes the ZUMO look very weak and under featured. Funny 'bout that, cos it is.

Go for it Bob.

Kindest regards.

Paul Harrington

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:02 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
It doesn't rain here in Australia
Geez... maybe not where you live Paul! Home of bottled drinking water..
It wouldn't last a month on this side of the Great Divide

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Personnally I love the Nuvi, although I have the Navigator III on the LT. Frankly, all my electronic gear gets covered if the rains come so doing it on the Nuvii isn't a show stopper if it was me.

The neat thing about the Nuvi is how compact it is. WOW you can throw that baby in your pocket in no time.

The map display is (in my opinion) the best on the market.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfindley
Personnally I love the Nuvi, although I have the Navigator III on the LT. Frankly, all my electronic gear gets covered if the rains come so doing it on the Nuvii isn't a show stopper if it was me.

The neat thing about the Nuvi is how compact it is. WOW you can throw that baby in your pocket in no time.

The map display is (in my opinion) the best on the market.
I've got both a 2610 and 760. I think I prefer the 2610. I like the tab set-up that I have on the 2610, you can't do that on the 760. When you are on a route with the 760, your speed disappears and distance to next turn is in it's place. We bought the 760 because we will be going to Germany at Christmas this year and will be renting a car to get around in. Now I just need to buy the Europe maps now.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in