XM workaround? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

XM workaround?

My neighbor bought a BMW Zumo from his dealer and has been using it for a couple of months. He then bought an XM antenna to hook up to the Zumo. You know the rest of the story... Of course, his dealer won't let him return it since he's had it for more than 30 days!

My question is, has anyone figured out a workaround to allow the BMW version of the Zumo to access XM?

I can think of several things worth trying but why reinvent the wheel?

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Re: XM workaround?

I suspect the only way you are going to get it to work is to install a standalone XM radio. I've yet to see anyone get a 2820 or Zumo to work with XM. Not even sure if the hardware is installed on the BMW version. It sure would make economical sense to have the machines that build it not install the components on the circuit board in the first place.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Does your friend want to sell his XM antenna? I assume it is the Garmin 30 hockey puck?

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I suspect the only way you are going to get it to work is to install a standalone XM radio. I've yet to see anyone get a 2820 or Zumo to work with XM. Not even sure if the hardware is installed on the BMW version. It sure would make economical sense to have the machines that build it not install the components on the circuit board in the first place.
XM works very well with the Zumo (as does the phone) - just not with the BMW branded unit. 'Lectric' Larry a/k/a Farkle Furgason has set up a couple of them for folks that liked his system. The trick seems to be with the proper cables and AutoCom AVI.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
My question is, has anyone figured out a workaround to allow the BMW version of the Zumo to access XM?

I can think of several things worth trying but why reinvent the wheel?

Cheers!
Garmin only 'dumbed down' the BMW version at BMW's request, because of BMW's exclusive contract with Sirius. As far as I know all the hardware is still in the BMW version. Unless someone hacks the software, you are out of luck. If the merger between Sirius and XM goes through there might be future Garmin/BMW units with XM enabled, but tht process will take a while.

My solution was to use a Pioneer INNO on each bike. I have a cradle on the bikes and move the INNO from bike to bike. The Inno costs about the same as a Garmin puck, but gives you several advantages:
  • Can record and store 10-50 hours of XM programming or up to 1GB of MP3 files
  • Has volume controls that are easily glove operable
  • Can be used indoors with your home stereo system
  • Can be used portably using built in batteries and satellite antenna

It is not waterproof, so you have to cover it with a baggie in the rain.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 4:55 am

I have a HD Ultra with the ZUMO 550/XM mount on the bike. I'm waiting on my new 12RT. My dealer tells me that I can use the BMW Zumo mount with my generic Zumo with XM.
The dealer told me that the BMW unit doesn't support XM, but the mount has the mini USB port for the XM antenna. Since my Zumo has the software to support XM, he says it should work.
Your friend might want to sell his BMW Zumo through one of the BMW boards then get another BMW Zumo mount and a new generic Zumo to use with his XM.

Pat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in