NAVIII vs Something Else - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 9:46 am Thread Starter

NAVIII vs Something Else

Hello all,
I'm new to the community and new to the LT, having just traded up from an HD Road Glide. First post too
So my question is this - does the NAV III have something the Garmin 2820 doesnt? And vice-versa?
My local dealer tells me the NAV III is just better but offers no information on why. I know that us former Harley riders are kinda slow, obviously since we took so long to see the light and ride the LT, but I would like to think I can make an informed decision if I have enough information.

Thanks in advance. Lots of good info here and I'm looking forward to reading your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:50 am

Re: NAVIII vs Something Else

I have the Nav III. The only thing it has that the 2820 doesn't is the mount with the extra buttons on the left side to make it more user friendly.

What is is missing is MP3 capability and XM Radio. Only the 2820 has these. BMW has an exclusive option with Sirius so pulled XM form their products. Never mattered to me, because I hate satallite radio. Could never find the music I wanted on it and gave up on XM years ago. Now it's public radio or my own WMA player.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I have the Nav III. The only thing it has that the 2820 doesn't is the mount with the extra buttons on the left side to make it more user friendly.
The other thing you get for your extra $300 clams is a bike specific bracket for the cradle and BMW compatible power cable. I got a NavIII with my K1200GT and the bracket is just a carefully shaped piece of plastic and the right bolts to put it solidly between the handlebars. The cable plugs right into the (only) spare accessory lead on the K1200GT.

The NavIII comes with the friction car mount, cigarette lighter adapter/speaker, AC adapter, and remote that the 2820 comes with, so you can move it to the car or indoors just like the 2820. The only "BMW" extra is cradle + bike mount + bike cable.

Oh, it also comes with a list of all BMW dealers in North America programmed into it, but you can apparently get that same list to download to any Garmin GPS.

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I went ahead and got the NAV III simply because I wanted the natural looking installation. So far it's been good. I would have liked the XM or Sirius options, but I'll find another way around that.
FYI, I only paid $900 for it. It seems that BMW is recognizing that $1300 is a bit much.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Just for the record: the NavIII is gas proof. The 2820 isn't (At least that is what my dealer told me). So your Nav is not hurt when you accidently splatter around a bit with the old gashose
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 6:02 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: NAVIII vs Something Else

All of the above, and I believe the internal board is mounted differently to handle vibration better. One important point, often web sites include a list of compatible garmin units that work with the data they have. The Nav III is based upon the 2820, with the differences as noted, but that does not mean if it supports the 2820, the Nav III will work. DAMHIK eg (quite obvious ) would be some aural tour guides (.gpi files) as the mp3 is disabled on the Nav III, these don't work.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:10 pm

As we are discussing GPS options,I too have the 2820 and use it on my GS and also on my ex R1200rt. Now that I have traded up for a new LT and as it has the mount for the Nav III cradel , I tried to see if the 2820 will fit the mount with the extra buttons---And it does. My dealer didnot know if the buttons on the mount will work with the 2820 however??? Does anyone know this?? The mount alone was $450 + so unless I get more than just a mount I guess I will use Touratech,but it then wont have the clean lines.

Thanks,
Ben
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:38 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfMan
Just for the record: the NavIII is gas proof. The 2820 isn't (At least that is what my dealer told me). So your Nav is not hurt when you accidently splatter around a bit with the old gashose
Warning: Believing dealer bullshit can be hazardous to your perception by other forum members. The Nav, Nav II, and Nav II are nothing more than rebadged, dumbed down, versions of their Garmin siblings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquinn
As we are discussing GPS options,I too have the 2820 and use it on my GS and also on my ex R1200rt. Now that I have traded up for a new LT and as it has the mount for the Nav III cradel , I tried to see if the 2820 will fit the mount with the extra buttons---And it does. My dealer didnot know if the buttons on the mount will work with the 2820 however??? Does anyone know this??
I read a post somewhere (can't find it now) saying that the data rate used to send the button codes is different between the Nav III and the 2820, I think because they wanted to keep the same cradle for the Nav II and Nav III. I wish I knew someone who had a 2820 so I could just try it -- anyone near Mountain View CA know anyone with a Garmin 2820?? (I've got the Nav III.)
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 6:26 pm
Bouncer

BTW, BMW's fiascoes of Nav systems, includes:
  1. BMW Navigator - overpriced Garmin StreetPilot III
  2. BMW Navigator II - overpriced, crippled Garmin Streetpilot 2610 (it's downfall was the hard drive)
  3. BMW Navigator II plus - overpriced, crippled Garmin StreetPilot 2620 (with flash memory, after BMW figured out a hard drive was a bad thing in a motorcycle environment)
  4. BMW Navigator III - it's either an overpriced Garmin 2720 with bluetooth added, or a 2820 with the XM radio neutered
  5. BMW Zumo - overpriced Zumo 450
There is nothing the BMW versions provide that cannot be done with their better featured Garmin siblings. Sure, the Nav I, II (II plus), and III had a cradle mount, but the benfits never justified the cost. The dealer list can be added to any Garmin unit (and is usually more accurate) by downloading the dealer waypoints from http://gmccurdy1.home.att.net/Dealers/Dealers.html

You can get the BMW mounts that work with any AMPS mount (the standard that Garmin uses) for the LT, GS, RT, or any other new BMW from your dealer.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 6:26 pm

The buttons will not work with the 2820. Only the Nav II & III can use them. That's one of the features you get with the BMW models that help to compensate for the loss of the 2820's MP3 capabilities and the like.

As you can see, some people don't like the BMW models at all. Personally I'm happy with what I have. I never worrid about XM radio as I think the XM programming sucks big time anyway.

I will say that regardless of the model you buy, don't buy any model that is not motorcycle ready. They may be cheaper. They may work. But they will not stand up to the elements and are not warrentied to do so either.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 6:28 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
The buttons will not work with the 2820. Only the Nav II & III can use them. That's one of the features you get with the BMW models that help to compensate for the loss of the 2820's MP3 capabilities and the like.
Arthur is correct. The BMW Cradle with the buttons can only be used with the BMW Navigator II (II plus) or III. This is a limitation that was imposed by BMW to supposedly differentiate the BMW unit from other Garmins. Not worth the nearly 2x cost of the BMW units.

-
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Arthur is correct. The BMW Cradle with the buttons can only be used with the BMW Navigator II (II plus) or III. This is a limitation that was imposed by BMW to supposedly differentiate the BMW unit from other Garmins. Not worth the nearly 2x cost of the BMW units.
Well, I like the zoom buttons, I use them a lot. The cradle is solid and connection was easy. Agree the Nav III was really expensive though. It seems like pretty much every accessory for this bike (K1200GT for me) is really expensive... I understand you can find deals on the Nav IIIs now.
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 6:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Great info on this thread and timely. I currently have an 05LT with NavII and am thinking of upgrading to the 2820 for motorcycles (not the BMW's Nav III). Reasons would be bluetooth and XM features of the 2802. I understand the buttons on my current BMW cradle won't work with the 2820. My concern is: Currently only I can hear GPS commands and not my passenger which is fine, but will the passenger be able to hear the XM/MPS from the 2820? There are a lot of good deals on the 2820 available right now for about a third of the cost of NAVIII.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Great info on this thread and timely. I currently have an 05LT with NavII and am thinking of upgrading to the 2820 for motorcycles (not the BMW's Nav III). Reasons would be bluetooth and XM features of the 2802. I understand the buttons on my current BMW cradle won't work with the 2820. My concern is: Currently only I can hear GPS commands and not my passenger which is fine, but will the passenger be able to hear the XM/MPS from the 2820? There are a lot of good deals on the 2820 available right now for about a third of the cost of NAVIII.
If you run from the aux out on the 2820 to the aux in on your comm system set to aux, the passenger will be able to hear navigation or navigation interrupting anything you have playing on the 2820 (mp3, XM, etc.)

If you prefer for any reason, you can also hear the 2820 out of the speakers instead of only via the helmet headsets. With speaker listening only, just don't forget that when you switch over to AM or FM for local tunes, there are no more navigation instructions (unless you've got the helmet headset connected, as well.)

I agree ... 2820s are getting really affordable -- try Comp-U-Plus ... wow.
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
At twice the cost I agree the cost is hard to justify. However, NavIII's are out there for much less than MSRP. Also, I think the NAVIII does much more than "supposedly differentiate" it from the other Garmins.

For me (and that's just me), I paid the additional $$ for the clean & solid mount, one plug connectivity and (most of all), the cradle buttons that are 10x more effective for me to use with my left (gloved) hand than touch-screen functions when I'm on the move.

Hell, I paid more for my BMW's than I would have for a Yamaha or a Honda, too. I guess I'm just a spend-thrift!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in