Help with my ZUMO!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Help with my ZUMO!!

Any of you folks have the Zumo 550 mounted on your LT? I am switching from a GS to an LT and had my Zumo mounted on the handlebars. I loved it there as it was close to my left hand for adjustments, and was easily visible. I am picking up my 09 LT Tuesday, and want to mount it on the handlebars but there is that plastic cover on them. Want to know where any of you have it mounted and where did you run the wires?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Help with my ZUMO!!

Jeff: I have one on my 05 LT, mounted on a BMR shelf.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:37 am

I used a RAM (part number RAM-B-346U) reservoir mount (see pic). Fits perfectly and should place the ZUMO similar to what you are looking for. - Jon
Attached Images
File Type: bmp clutch RAM mount B.bmp (88.6 KB, 126 views)

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:42 am

I have it mounted on the left side with the RAM RESERVOIR COVER CENTER BALL (RAM-B-345U) with lock. It does however block my mirror a little. I like it as it's close to my hand.

Ken
post #5 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

question for guys with the ram mount. Is that ram mount on the resevoir specific fit for the LT or is it a universal type mount. Either way, does it come with hardware for install (longer screws)?

Thanks again
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 3:32 pm

I mounted a ram ball thru the mirror hole with all thread rod and lock nut.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #7 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 4:55 pm

There was a post, I think on www.zumoforums.com, describing how the Zumo "stock" bar mount has holes that line up with the screw holes on the reservoir cover. No need to buy the cover mount, just buy two longer screws and attach half the bar mount atop the stock cover.

I didn't check it out myself since my Zumo is otherwise mounted, but it might be worth a look-see if you like the GPS on the bars.
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDsgt
question for guys with the ram mount. Is that ram mount on the resevoir specific fit for the LT or is it a universal type mount. Either way, does it come with hardware for install (longer screws)?

Thanks again
I am not sure if it is LT-specific. I chose it because it has the LT handlebar in the photo and it fits the LT (all years I believe).

Comes with everything you need to mount on the cover. You unscrew the 4 screws on the cover (don't disturb the cover) and then place the 4 short standoffs and then put the RAM mount on and then screw in the 4 longer screws that are also included. Simple!

I have the ball on the right side (as it shows in the pic of earlier post) and I don't recall it blocking my mirror. I could go out and check for you.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:04 pm

I used the reservoir mount as well. The one I got, from the local BMW dealer, actually replaced the existing cover and had a mount hole for the ball. See Pictures

It does slightly block the mirror, just one edge, and blocks the computer. I like it there for the same reason you gave on your GS, handy. I can reach it easy with my left hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo_1.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	18497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo_2.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	18498  

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:24 pm

I have the Zumo 550 on a RAM mount built into an RKA "In-Charge" tank bag. It puts the unit right in front of you, in the line of sight with the road. A little different reach than to the left handlebar, and it blocks the radio controls, but it works... for now. Second choice would be a stingray mount. Same basic location as what I have now.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 5:16 am

Help with my ZUMO!!

I purchased a frame kit from Sierra BMW and mounted mine where the dash light is (just above the gauge cluster). It is a little bit of a reach but I really like having it right in front of me. The only draw back I have run into is that when I mounted the XM antennae (hockey puck) above it using a bracket I found through cycle gadgets I am unable to completely lower my windshield (1/2 inch up). It hasn't really been a problem since I'm fairly tall I don't usually keep the windshield all the way down.
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 9:59 am

I just got my Zumo a couple of weeks ago and decided that the way that I wanted it on my LT was in front of me. So, I bought the BMR Co-Pilot shelf and mounted that and the Zumo on that using an additional RAM ball on the shelf to use the mounting that came with it. I also added a locking knob on the RAM mount as extra security to everything. Just did my first ride with it last night and am very happy with where I put it so far. Was easy to see and wasn't too bad of a reach ( I have short arms too) to make adjustments/selections on it. Having it there in front of me also allowed me to keep an eye on the road at the same time I was doing anything with it too. Using the shelf also will make the mounting of the XM antenna easier as well if you have that.

Dave

2012 R1200RRT

2004 R1150R

2001 K1200LT (Traded)
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale (sold)
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 4:35 am

Here is a picture of how I mounted mine. The bracket goes in where the dash light is as well as all of the wires. The puck sits on a bracket that mounts in between the Zumo and the main bracket. I really think it looks clean and I like where it is in terms of looking quickly at it without having my eyes too far from the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	resizedzumo.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	18521  

2003 K1200LT
1971 R60/5

Last edited by cjklemp; Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:40 am.
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I"ve finally gotten all the parts together to mount mine. I'm using a Touratech locking mount on a BMR shelf, with the XM puck on the right accessory shelf, running the audio through the "Aux" input on the '05 LT's audio system, and bluetoothing the phone only back to the Autocom system. In the end I should have speed sensitive volume and XM through the speakers, with all the priorities intact (Phone mutes everything, Nav mutes XM but not phone). Along the way I will lose the ability to get nav voice prompts if I'm using the terrestrial radio, but I virtually never use anything other than XM in the car, so I assume it won't be a problem.

The locking mount is affixed to the co-pilot using BMR's angle adjustable bracket: I had to add two new holes to get the height right so as to not have the Zumo obscuring guages, nor interferring with the windshield. And I've drilled two holes on the accessory bracket so that I can screw the puck down: I figure that will be secure enough.

The hard part comes this week-end: tupperware off to get at the audio system for the installation of the auxilliary input cable, and mounting of the BMR shelf.

I hope this works as well as I think it will, because all those mounting parts cost a fortune!
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave1173
I just got my Zumo a couple of weeks ago and decided that the way that I wanted it on my LT was in front of me. So, I bought the BMR Co-Pilot shelf and mounted that and the Zumo on that using an additional RAM ball on the shelf to use the mounting that came with it. I also added a locking knob on the RAM mount as extra security to everything. Just did my first ride with it last night and am very happy with where I put it so far. Was easy to see and wasn't too bad of a reach ( I have short arms too) to make adjustments/selections on it. Having it there in front of me also allowed me to keep an eye on the road at the same time I was doing anything with it too. Using the shelf also will make the mounting of the XM antenna easier as well if you have that.
Dave,

I like the sound of your set up. It sounds exactly how I had planned to do it with my new Zumo as well. Can you post or send a pic? Where did you get the additional RAM ball and locking knob?

Thanks,

Clay

ClayRFarris
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2003 FJR 1300
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 7:11 pm

I like the sound of your set up. It sounds exactly how I had planned to do it with my new Zumo as well. Can you post or send a pic? Where did you get the additional RAM ball and locking knob?

Clay,
Here is the photos of my mounting. Was able to use holes already predrilled into the BMR Co-Pilot shelf so there was no drilliing needed. Wired the power from my map light so that it is powered only when the key is turned on.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	18558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	18559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	18560  

Dave

2012 R1200RRT

2004 R1150R

2001 K1200LT (Traded)
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale (sold)
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Thanks Dave. I will have mine set up in this way this week.

Clay

ClayRFarris
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2003 FJR 1300
2005 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in