StreetPilot Dash Mount Pad REMOVAL? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

StreetPilot Dash Mount Pad REMOVAL?

Iím pretty sure that I used the PERMANENT (it has a hole in the center of the sticky pad) ADHESIVE DISK, not the temporary (solid) on my SUVís dashboard mount for my StreetPilot GPS and Iím thinking of moving it to another location.

Has anyone tried to remove it after it has been mounted for several years? How and what did you do/use? Anyone have an extra Permanent adhesive disk?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Re: StreetPilot Dash Mount Pad REMOVAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Iím pretty sure that I used the PERMANENT (it has a hole in the center of the sticky pad) ADHESIVE DISK, not the temporary (solid) on my SUVís dashboard mount for my StreetPilot GPS and Iím thinking of moving it to another location.

Has anyone tried to remove it after it has been mounted for several years? How and what did you do/use? Anyone have an extra Permanent adhesive disk?
Hey, Dano. I think I might have one. Can't remember whether it's the permanent mount, or the temp. I'll take look in a bit and let ya know. IIRC, it's kinda oval shape?? And the plastic mount itself has a depressing lever to allow removal of the GPS, and a slide lever to lock it in? Correct?
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Dano. I think I might have one. Can't remember whether it's the permanent mount, or the temp. I'll take look in a bit and let ya know. IIRC, it's kinda oval shape?? And the plastic mount itself has a depressing lever to allow removal of the GPS, and a slide lever to lock it in? Correct?
Yes, Dick, that's the one. Thanks for the offer, but I better wait to see if there is a way to remove the one I installed first. If it is going to be a mess to remove, I'll just leave it where it is. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll call Garmin. In the past they have been very responsive. Thanks again for the offer.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Garage

Hi Dan I took my adhesive disk off the dash when I sold my car it was on the dash for 2 years the answer is "heat" hair dryer, get the pad really hot the pad it will get soft, then you can just rip it off the dash, while it is hot I remved the remaning disk by scraping but keep it hot, then use goo remover or similiar to get the sticky off I actually used mineral turps, it left behind an oval imprint I didnt care I was selling the car

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: StreetPilot Dash Mount Pad REMOVAL?

Thanks..... I'll give it a try.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Garage

buy the way I just bought 1" double sided tape and layered it on the old mount to stick it in the new car worked a treat if you dont have a spare disk

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

thanks.... I'm going to try to get it off tomorrow with some heat and then will work on the "glue." later......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2008, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hi Heat worked

I used my wife's hair dryer on high heat and in less than a minute, the dashboard mount was off . It is hard to tell that there was anything on the dash. I used a very thin knife to pry it up as I applied heat on one side.

Thanks for the tip Linton. Dick if you have a "permanent" adhesive disk, I can use it. Be happy to pay the cost and shipping. If not, I'll order one from Garmin. Thanks.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2008, 11:17 am

Re: Hi Heat worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I used my wife's hair dryer on high heat and in less than a minute, the dashboard mount was off . It is hard to tell that there was anything on the dash. I used a very thin knife to pry it up as I applied heat on one side.

Thanks for the tip Linton. Dick if you have a "permanent" adhesive disk, I can use it. Be happy to pay the cost and shipping. If not, I'll order one from Garmin. Thanks.......
Hi, Dano - I gots the following: a round disc, two sided sticky stuff. An oval disc, two sided sticky stuff and with a round hole in the middle. And a plastic base unit with the up/down lever for removing the SP, and the slide lever for locking/unlocking the SP in position.

Lemme know whatcha need. Or, if you can use it all, I'll send it. I have no need for any of it, cuz my SPI is just about to turn into a doorstop; plus it's mounting base is still stuck to the top of the stingray, where it's been for several years, so I'll be using Linton's tip and getting rid of it.

PM me your mailing addy and I betcha I can send this stuff off tamale, before lunch!!
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Never tried for this specific application, but heat and fishing line followed by "Goof Off" to remove the residue should make some progress.
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2008, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitesseLT
Never tried for this specific application, but heat and fishing line followed by "Goof Off" to remove the residue should make some progress.
Hot air and very thin knife work well and in less than a minute!

PM on its way; THANKS Dick

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Hi Heat worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Dano - I gots the following: a round disc, two sided sticky stuff. An oval disc, two sided sticky stuff and with a round hole in the middle. And a plastic base unit with the up/down lever for removing the SP, and the slide lever for locking/unlocking the SP in position.

Lemme know whatcha need. Or, if you can use it all, I'll send it. I have no need for any of it, cuz my SPI is just about to turn into a doorstop; plus it's mounting base is still stuck to the top of the stingray, where it's been for several years, so I'll be using Linton's tip and getting rid of it.

PM me your mailing addy and I betcha I can send this stuff off tamale, before lunch!!
Dick,

THANKS so much for the sticky pads and platform. Hope to catch up with you some day so I can fulfill my part of the bargain, beer(s) on me! Ready to do the new installation and all because of you. THANKS again.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in