Made my Garmin 2730 Bluetooth for 60 bucks! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Made my Garmin 2730 Bluetooth for 60 bucks!

For about a year now I've been trying to make my Garmin 2730 bluetooth enabled so that I get GPS directions and listen to my favorite XM stations via my Cardo Scala Rider headset.

Well, this week I did it. While surfing the web once again for solutions, I noticed that Cardo sold a Bluetooth telephone adapter for the purpose of using a non Bluetooth cell phone with any Cardo headset including the whole Scala Rider series. This seemed promising so I headed over to Radio World to do a little test.

I brought them my Scala Rider Q2 equipped motorcycle helmet along with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio adapter and asked one of the sales people if I could do a little test with the Cardo BT II adapter. The salesperson was actually intrigued by my experiment since they too, being a motorcycle rider and having a Cardo Scala Rider, had been wondering the very same thing.

Well, the experiment was a success. After some minor hastle getting the BT II to pair with my Q2 (this was because there were quite a few other bluetooth devices in the immediate vicinity that the Q2 thought it should pair with) I was listening to a my Garmin Streetpilot 2730 giving me directions to my HOME location.

I would have purchased the BT II from Radio World but they only had them available as a Scala Rider Combo set for $150. So, I returned home making a stop at Princess Auto to purchase a piece of heat shrink tubing. Once home, I ordered a BTII from Dennis Kirk.

To my surprise, I received the BTII it in less than 2 days. That evening, I cut a small piece of heat shrink tubing and placed it over the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter which I attached to the BTII and shrunk it with a hair dryer, making it somewhat waterproof. I paired the BTII to my Cardo Q2, attached it to my 2730 and went for a ride. Worked like a dream.

I am now able to listen to my XM radio and get directions from the 2730 in a totally bluetooth way. Since the Q2 does not support stereo, the music is in mono and I don't have any tone controls. The fact is "It's about the ride" and not about the audio and I'm happier than a pig in sh** that I don't have to depend on finding an adequately vacant FM station in order to get my GPS directions or listen to XM music any longer.

My next experiment may be with attaching a very mini amplifier (about the size of the BTII) to see if I can improve the highs & lows of my XM music.

I will try & take a picture of the setup & post it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Re: Made my Garmin 2730 Bluetooth for 60 bucks!

I wish I had of known about this issue earlier as I could have helped you a lot. I did something similar with a BT adapter I bought on eBay for about $35 and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for my 2720 and Camos 600.

I have my Camos 600 set to use my cell phone (Pocket PC) on channel 1. That gives me phone, mp3, and anything else. SInce the Camos 600 supports 2 AD2P connections on channel 1, I also hooked up the BT adapter. If I ever need it, I have channel 2 for a single mono connection.

Note: the BT adapter I bought is astereo adapter hooked up to a mono plug from the 2720. I get stereo music via my phone connection, but only mono (in both earpieces) from the Garmin.

Total cost for the conversion was about $45 if I remember correctly.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in