GPS image shaking??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

GPS image shaking???

I have a Garmin 2610. This weekend the GPS started acting up. The screen image just keep shaking, kinda moving back and forth abruptly. It does this even when the bike is off. I have tried it in the car and it seemed fine. So that leads me to cables. I also have it connected to a Baehr system under the seat. I checked inline fuse, moved cables around and checked connections under the seat. before I tear the left side fairing off I thought I would check with you all and find out if anyone else has experienced this? The GPS had been working fine until now.
Thanks all

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:01 pm

Garage
Re: GPS image shaking???

Hi Marc
my 2610 started doing the exact same thing a couple of months ago, mine is not connected in any way to com system I only use it visually, it is wired to the map light power source. with mine it has to be the GPS. In australia no garmin service agent will repair them as they say the unit is to old. when it does it to me I turn it off and on until it stableises sofar it has fixed its self but I dont know how long it will last. It has now done it on 3 or 4 separate occasions
good luck in fixing it I hope yours is a cable issue

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

thanks but mine is doing it all the time. Maybe we will luck out and somewhere here knows what s wrong.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My 2610 did a similar thing only at cold temperatures. It was like I was touching the screen all the time. I managed to get Garmin to replace it even though it was a year out of warranty at the time. Probably no easy fix here.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:44 pm

Just returned from a 2500 mile trip with 10 buddies. On day 2, my Garmin 2720 started doing the same thing, vibrating and shaking and switching to the "favorites" screen, then went to the screen calibration mode, telling me to touch the crosshairs to calibrate it. The calibration failed repeatedly and I was forced to restart the unit each time it did this. OPn reaching our destination late in the day, I got Garmin customer support on the line and their diagnosis matched mine, that the touchscreen was shot. They overnighted a new unit to my next destination and were very helpful. I had my laptop with me, but experienced a few problems in bringing both maps into sync version wise. We completed our trip and now that I'm home, I have to get the version issue addressed, but kudos to Garmin for standing behind their product. They actually apologized for letting me down!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 5:53 am Thread Starter

Re: GPS image shaking??? Update

Ok, tried it in car again last night and it DID NOT work right. Hit the internet insearch of answer. This morning on way to work did a master reset and left it on. It took about 10 minutes to locate satellites and it rebooted 3 times while driving. It started working. I will keep testing to see if problem comes back.
Thanks all

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 9:17 am

I have had a similar problem with my 2720.

I found that by taking a pencil eraser to the contacts on the electrical connection, the problem was resolved.

This issue has cropped up onm several occasions and the same fix worked both times. On examination, I found that some of the contacts were nice and green.

HTH

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Last Update (I hope)

GPS worked all day in car and seems to be working on bike also. I did 2 things. 1) cleaned the screen, I read that dirt on screen can activate the touch screen
2) I did a master reset and chose to delete all user data. I tried a couple of resets without deletinng user data and that did not work.
Master reset:
Hold down PAGE and MENU and power on. Hold for 5 seconds or until you seea box pop up asking if you want to delete user data. I chose yes. then it took about 15 minutes to locate satellites and rebooted itself 3 times within the 15 minutes. Turned it off when I got to work and back on when I left. It acquired satellites very quickly and seems to be working just fine. I may have lost routes and waypoints.
Well it worked for me so far.
Thanks

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in