Mounts for 2820 on 02 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 24th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Mounts for 2820 on 02 LT

Hey everybody, I just stepped into the 20th century and bought a 2820 for the LT. I have started searching for a mounting system for the stingray. I know some of you will say get a shelf but, I need to have the gps closer than the shelves will put them. The map light location would be ok but it's still too far away, IMO.

I went to my local dealership today to see what a mount would consist of and what it would cost. The newer LTs have a mount already in place and I asked what that would cost, it's apparently a 3 piece deal and runs a whopping 129.00.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'm going to pay that kind of money for some pieces of plastic. BTW, the wires and connectors are another separate charge..

I'm certain some of you have been down this path before and have some good advice and solutions. If anyone has pictures and part numbers I would be forever grateful. Heck, if some of you have fabricated your own mounts, let me see em. I'll pony up for one.

Thanks! Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 24th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Re: Mounts for 2820 on 02 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
Hey everybody, I just stepped into the 20th century and bought a 2820 for the LT. I have started searching for a mounting system for the stingray. I know some of you will say get a shelf but, I need to have the gps closer than the shelves will put them. The map light location would be ok but it's still too far away, IMO.

I went to my local dealership today to see what a mount would consist of and what it would cost. The newer LTs have a mount already in place and I asked what that would cost, it's apparently a 3 piece deal and runs a whopping 129.00.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'm going to pay that kind of money for some pieces of plastic. BTW, the wires and connectors are another separate charge..

I'm certain some of you have been down this path before and have some good advice and solutions. If anyone has pictures and part numbers I would be forever grateful. Heck, if some of you have fabricated your own mounts, let me see em. I'll pony up for one.

Thanks! Brian
Based on your criteria, i suggest that you get the BMW parts to mount your GPS to your bikes stingray. If you just want function and want to save money you don't have to get the cover for the BMW mount (I am not suggesting that you do this but it is an alternative). There is a picture posted in this thread by "Renzo" who has a 2820 on an 'o2 LT '02LT: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=renzo

You will also need a motorcycle mount kit. Attached is a link so you know what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Motorcy...1672877&sr=8-6

You also need to think about how you are going to get the GPS voice commands into your helmet headset. Can't tell if you have an intercom or not.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old May 24th, 2008, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have a really old Autocom and have just replaced it with a Starcom1 digital. I haven't installed either of these products yet, I'm still looking for the right mount for the GPS. No need to take anything apart twice...

BMR products has a trivet mount that looks very good as well as Excel cycle werkes.

I will still take all the help and advice I can get.

Brian

post #4 of 6 Old May 25th, 2008, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Oh, I almost forgot. This motorcycle mount kit for the 2610/2620 I assume works for all the newer streetpilots, ie, 2720,2730, and the 2820
post #5 of 6 Old May 26th, 2008, 7:14 pm

I have a 2820 and a '02 LT. I used the BMR shelf with the Garmin motorcycle mouting kit. I also have my Sirius mounted on the BMR shelf. The arraingment works great. I just installed the 2820 last week and put 500 miles on the bike this weekend with no issues. I also purchased the sun shield from BMR but didn't install it because I wouldn't be able to use the cover any longer. Even without the sun shield I had not issues seeing the display.

I also made a cable to connect the audio out jack into the stereo so I can listen to MP3's. My last task is to wire the 2820 microphone jack into the intercom so I can use the Bluetooth connection from the GPS to my phone.
post #6 of 6 Old May 27th, 2008, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
Oh, I almost forgot. This motorcycle mount kit for the 2610/2620 I assume works for all the newer streetpilots, ie, 2720,2730, and the 2820
Yes, the same mount works for both the 2820 and the 2610.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in