BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Mounting a Zumo on an old LT.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  norton 
#1 ·
Hi, I’ve been a member for years but never posted, so I hope this comes out OK. I have a 1999 K1200LT that I purchased new in 2000 with a BMW (J&M) com system. I finally decided to become GPS equipped and am having a BMW Zumo installed by a dealer next week. One issue that arose was where to mount it. The Zumo comes with mounts specific to just about every BMW model except the LT, and they say they have never mounted one an LT yet. The new LT’s they sell come with a Nav III system mounted on the center console using a different mount than the Zumo. So, we are looking at using a RAM mount either on the center console or on the L.H. handlebar on the clutch reservoir. Anyone have a better idea or experience with this?

Thanks, Dave

#2 ·
davegordon said:
Hi, I’ve been a member for years but never posted, so I hope this comes out OK. I have a 1999 K1200LT that I purchased new in 2000 with a BMW (J&M) com system. I finally decided to become GPS equipped and am having a BMW Zumo installed by a dealer next week. One issue that arose was where to mount it. The Zumo comes with mounts specific to just about every BMW model except the LT, and they say they have never mounted one an LT yet. The new LT’s they sell come with a Nav III system mounted on the center console using a different mount than the Zumo. So, we are looking at using a RAM mount either on the center console or on the L.H. handlebar on the clutch reservoir. Anyone have a better idea or experience with this?

Thanks, Dave
I would try and mount it with the BMW bracket from a 2002-2004 in the hole where that dash light is. I think this is a good spot for the GPS. Puts it right under your line of site while riding...

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, Dave.

Whaddya mean "old" LT? I have a '99 model and am quite proud of it. At least I was, until I learned it was old. Sniff.

There are tons of options. I have mine on a BMR shelf; I like the high mounting position and other benefits of the shelf that have been discussed lots of times. Other high mount options are the RCU shelf, the original BMW Navigator mount that replaces the map light, and some home-made cowl mounting methods I've seen pictured on this site.

Seems like I saw some RAM mounts for the area near the radio display, but that's too low for me so I've not paid much attention to those.

There are a couple of options for handlebar mounts. The one I've seen the most is the RAM mount that replaces the clutch or brake reservoir covers. Seems like I saw a bar mount beside the radio remote control; I bet you could trim the handlebar cover and make that work.

Someone on this list posted a suggestion recently that was very interesting. They said one of the (bar?) mounts included with the Zumo had screw positions that matched the distance between the screws on the clutch reservoir. All you had to do was buy two longer screws, and just attach the RAM mount to the top of the reservoir. A low-buck solution for sure.

If you have not done so already, check out www.zumoforums.com for lots of helpful info. There's a thread dealing with mounting options, might give you some additional options to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.