garmin 2009 maps - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 17th, 2008, 9:41 am Thread Starter

garmin 2009 maps

Garmins site was down so I ordered mine from GPSCity in Las vegas.
Fast service and saved $10.
Must be a lot of new information because it took an hour to load to my GPS on a fairly fast computer, although I understand it's the GPS that's slow.
The strange thing is, I was considering whether to send my 2720 to Garmin because it's just not as bright as it use to be even on Manual brightness....
...and the first thing the new software did was backup my settings and BAM !
brightness returned before it started downloading maps.....
Sometimes life is fair.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 17th, 2008, 9:52 am

Re: garmin 2009 maps

Yea, I've been considering updating lately. Your GPS is only as good as it's database ya know.

The brightness thang doesn't make much sense though. Unless the new map database install checked your firmware and updated that as well.
post #3 of 17 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:29 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The brightness thang doesn't make much sense though. Unless the new map database install checked your firmware and updated that as well.
That is an automatic part of the update process - firmware update first, followed by map data update.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old May 17th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
That is an automatic part of the update process - firmware update first, followed by map data update.
Got it. Guess I never paid attention . . . or my GPS is always up-to-date anyway.
post #5 of 17 Old May 17th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Did 3 different Garmin nav systems yesterday ... a 2820, 7500 and 360. I keep mine updated, too ... yet, it still added one more update for the Nuvi before loading the maps. Except for answering an occasional question at launch, it's all relatively automatic and pretty seamless ... it just takes a while so don't expect to sit around and watch it -- go do something else.

While doing the 2820 (my LT nav), it gave me the choice of regions instead of loading it all. "Curious" I thought ... must not have enough room. And that was the answer ... my 2820 was loaded to the gills with .mp3 files -- over 650MB. So, it didn't leave enough room for the new map data. It could have been only one song too much, but for expediency, I just erased them all off the GPS temporarily and that did the trick.

Before you ask, I didn't bother to look at the new free space availability ... instead, just proceeded on to the next nav system. Of course I will when I get around to dragging (what I expect will be most of) the music back over to the 2820 from a folder on my computer's hard drive. Your precise free space will be different than mine anyway depending on what you've put on there such as audible files, image files, etc. At any rate, it wasn't necessary to remove anything else to make space to perform the 2009 update.
post #6 of 17 Old May 18th, 2008, 1:28 am

The Garmin site it down a lot. Thanks for the suggestion about the other site.

Bill
post #7 of 17 Old May 19th, 2008, 8:28 am

Hope it is better than the 2008 update. What a waste of money. 5 year old roads still not on the maps!
post #8 of 17 Old May 29th, 2008, 12:03 am
Cat Herder

Garage

The 2008 update was a waste of money. The '09 version fixed a lot of roads in my area and added the correct exit numbers...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 17 Old May 29th, 2008, 7:46 am Thread Starter

....and mapreporter.navteq.com is where you can report errors in the mapping software. (although I've reportrd a few and a year later they are still unanswered on the site)

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #10 of 17 Old May 29th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Can I do the 2009 update, without having to do the 2008 update, and not miss anything?
post #11 of 17 Old May 29th, 2008, 3:10 pm
Gold Supporter

Buckelew, I just ordered my 09 version today from Darrel at http://www.tvnav.com ($60) and asked the same question. He said you can skip 08 and load 09 right up.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 17 Old May 29th, 2008, 6:39 pm

The installer does not ask for anything other than have you wait to load the drivers before you plug the Nav into the USB port. It appears to just wipe out the maps (and leave my trips and destinations. I had a small subset of the 2008 maps in the box. It did not ask, mention them or anything. So its probably safe to load over earlier maps.

I bought the 2009 update from GPS City. They arrived in three days without a problem, at $10 less that Garmin charnges, with the unlock code on the back of the disk case.

Best of all, it appears to have put the lower 48 all in the Nav III - which never worked in the 08 version.

Many of the streets and highways where I was driving over dirt, water and forest now have roads.

I did find one problem. When I took the new exit ramp frim I355 to I55 about 35 mi SW of Chicago, the Nav thought I was on the Romeoville Road exit and was recalculating away while I was going right where I should have been. I need to report that, but other than that, all is well with NT 2009.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #13 of 17 Old May 29th, 2008, 7:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
The installer does not ask for anything other than have you wait to load the drivers before you plug the Nav into the USB port. It appears to just wipe out the maps (and leave my trips and destinations. I had a small subset of the 2008 maps in the box. It did not ask, mention them or anything. So its probably safe to load over earlier maps.

I bought the 2009 update from GPS City. They arrived in three days without a problem, at $10 less that Garmin charnges, with the unlock code on the back of the disk case.

Best of all, it appears to have put the lower 48 all in the Nav III - which never worked in the 08 version.

Many of the streets and highways where I was driving over dirt, water and forest now have roads.

I did find one problem. When I took the new exit ramp frim I355 to I55 about 35 mi SW of Chicago, the Nav thought I was on the Romeoville Road exit and was recalculating away while I was going right where I should have been. I need to report that, but other than that, all is well with NT 2009.
Does the 09 version have the new section of I-355, south of I-55, that ends at I-80? Drives me nuts crusing over vacant fields.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #14 of 17 Old May 30th, 2008, 12:14 am

Smile Re: garmin 2009 maps

Yes, the 2009 Garmin maps sure do have the Veterans Memorial extension to 355. The Nav III picked that route (finally) when I headed down to Kankakee. Yippie, as from up here in Rolling Meadows, its faster to go gown 355 to 80 to 57 now, then to take the Kennedy tour of Chicagoland or the Tri-State down to 80 and back west to 57. Nice to be on the road again.

I checked and the 2009 update also has the new route 53 that takes you from I-94 in Eau Claire, WI up to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin and the Leinenkugel brewery, not that I would ever drink and ride.

So far, the recalc fits because it thinks the 355 -> I-55 southbound ramp is the Joliet Road ramp is all the trouble I have. I should add that the signage at the ramp is not too clear about that either.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #15 of 17 Old May 30th, 2008, 8:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Yes, the 2009 Garmin maps sure do have the Veterans Memorial extension to 355. The Nav III picked that route (finally) when I headed down to Kankakee. Yippie, as from up here in Rolling Meadows, its faster to go gown 355 to 80 to 57 now, then to take the Kennedy tour of Chicagoland or the Tri-State down to 80 and back west to 57. Nice to be on the road again.

I checked and the 2009 update also has the new route 53 that takes you from I-94 in Eau Claire, WI up to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin and the Leinenkugel brewery, not that I would ever drink and ride.

So far, the recalc fits because it thinks the 355 -> I-55 southbound ramp is the Joliet Road ramp is all the trouble I have. I should add that the signage at the ramp is not too clear about that either.
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I'll now get the 09 version.
Hey, any time you head up anywhere north and west of Monroe for a day ride, I'd be more than willing to follow you around.
Thanks again,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 8:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Got my 09 update in really quick order from jjielectronics for $62.98 shipped. Loaded without issue, but took about an hour. GPS is the bottleneck.
Good to see the new section of I-355 is loaded.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #17 of 17 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 7:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Buckelew, I just ordered my 09 version today from Darrel at http://www.tvnav.com ($60) and asked the same question. He said you can skip 08 and load 09 right up.
Thanks for the tip. I also ordered mine from Darrel with outstanding customer service. After I placed my internet order for the 2009 NT, rather than just ship it, he followed with me to make sure my current version was NT. Very impressive.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in