I knew this was going to be an issue, more so with an inexpensive GPS. I tried a quick prototype the other day, and was having problems finding the right material for the shade.
Just happens we needed our food shopping bags and I saw the one from Wegman's had a waterproof, black matte bottom.
I used a piece of medical aluminum from a splint, bent that to fit the contour of the GPS, molded the piece of material from the Wegman's bag, made a hole for the on/off switch access and another for the headset to fit into.
Inside the top is a stylus for easy access to the menu. Velcroed to the top of the GPS, seems quite solid. Have not road tested it yet, but from what I can see compared to the first one, this should work very well! Total cost with the junk I had laying around, was about $3.
The GPS is a Magellan Crossover, $289 at Walmart. Battery lasts about 6-7 hrs, little need for D/C power, but I do have use of that.
Now if I only could find the headset that worked with this, and there is only one out of many tested last year......., I know it is in the house somewhere.
See the photos here:
As a side note to this project, I was torn between posts stating to have it mounted higher so as not to have to look down when driving. Quite a few others are mounted more directly to the Stingray, which is what wanted to do. Using what materials I had laying around to make this, the mount works great, but it does hide the instrument panel more than I would have liked.
I can still see what is needed, just have to look around the GPS a little. Knowing that, I made this cover as tight as possible around the unit, and it seems to have worked out quite well, considering.