Zumo mounted and wired on LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 12th, 2008, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Zumo mounted and wired on LT

Looking for pics of either the zumo 550, 2820 or 2730 with the XM radio puck added. Where did you all mount the XM puck? When I had a zumo on my RT, I used the cycle gadgets mount for the puck but the wire is so long it was ugly having to store it. I was almost thinking of up on the luggade rack. For those that have installed one, I have the BMW com system also reffered to as the BC-3. If I mounted a zumo with XM, can I run this into my BC-3 and wanted to hear through a J&M headset plugged into the intercom? Will I hear the XM radio well? How hard is it to route a zumo or any of the others listed into the BC-3. If I had my phone linked to the zumo via bluetooth, will i be able to send/ recieve calls while pluged in? or do I still have to plug it into the com unit to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 12th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Re: Zumo mounted and wired on LT

I had a Roady mounted on a Hoon Hardware (from Cycle Gadgets) clutch lid mount when I switched to a 2730. I put the XM puck on the antenna base on that mount and ran the cable in the plastic handle bar covers. Looped the excess cable inside the cover out of sight and added a RAM ball where the radio mounted, so I have a qiuck away to add anything I want temporarily. It has worked great for over a year.
post #3 of 6 Old May 12th, 2008, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Are you using it stand alone or through a com unit?

post #4 of 6 Old May 12th, 2008, 11:47 pm

Here's my setup...

This all goes through an Autocomm, but I would guess the basics are the same. The 6 feet of wire for the XM puck antenna is bundled and wire tied and sitting behind the Zumo. I've got the puck set up so if I'm around town, I use the magnet to just snap it on the bike during the day, and take it off at night. If I'm going on a long trip, I can screw it down so you'd need all kinds of tools to take it off. The setup sits on a BMR shelf via the RAM mount that came with the Zumo although I added a RAM mount RAM-202PSA plate (see it at http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/ramaccessories.htm) which is a flat base with about 6 oddly spaced holes so you could match it up to almost any hole spacing on the shelf. It worked perfectly. The Zumo is in a perfect position where I can't see it while driving unless I move my eyes about 2 millimeters.

Behind the dash. The almost white looking cables are Radio Shack 8 foot extensions. That way, I could keep all important wiring at the front and back, using only passive extensions going through the heart of the bike. The idea is, if there's a problem, I don't have to unwire everything to track it down. The Zumo and Radar wires are the ones bundled up and connected to the extensions. Nothing can touch the moving parts of the windshield motor.

Note the 4 extensions. NOTE THE LABELS!!! That's the most important part of wiring!

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)

Last edited by mrbiker; May 13th, 2008 at 12:16 am.
post #5 of 6 Old May 13th, 2008, 5:11 am

How did you wire the Ipod to be able to be charged while riding? I have an 03 LT and am getting ready to install a com system and set of Moto lights. I would like to hard wire in an Ipod charger as well since everything will be apart.
post #6 of 6 Old May 13th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjklemp
How did you wire the Ipod to be able to be charged while riding? I have an 03 LT and am getting ready to install a com system and set of Moto lights. I would like to hard wire in an Ipod charger as well since everything will be apart.
On the bottom right of the saddlebag is a Dice interface unit. It charges the iPod. The downside is you should probably find the power wire to the Dice (same thing as a NeoProLink) and hook it into a switched source, as it's live all the time and will drain the battery (slightly) when the bike is off. If left for 5 days or so, there won't be enough power to start the bike.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in