Connection Zumo to Autocom Super Pro AVI - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 11th, 2008, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Connection Zumo to Autocom Super Pro AVI

I've searched the forums, and the web, and I think I know how to do this, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who've done this.

I'm connection the Zumo to the Super Pro Audio AVI. The Zumo has a separate mic in and audio out. Do I need to buy a part from Autocom to connect these two cables to a single Aux input, like part 1299? I don't see part 1299 on the autocom website, but I see it in their documentation for connecting the zumo.

My phone plays MP3s as well. If I connect it to the zumo via bluetooth, I won't hear the MP3 playback. I have this issue when I connect my phone via bluetooth to the car. It only works for calls, not playback. To get playback, would I need to run another cable from the audio out on my phone to the Pro Audio? This might cause a problem, because my phone has a single 3.5 mm jack for mic in and audio out, and if the phone detects a cable in the jack, and bluetooth connected, I'm not sure how the phone will handle it. Will it take the mic from the zumo, or from the cable (which wouldn't actually have a mic, but the phone probably wouldn't know that).

I apologize if this has been beaten to death, but I didn't find anything that made it clear to me, and I know others have done this. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 12th, 2008, 1:07 am

Re: Connection Zumo to Autocom Super Pro AVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I've searched the forums, and the web, and I think I know how to do this, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who've done this.

I'm connection the Zumo to the Super Pro Audio AVI. The Zumo has a separate mic in and audio out. Do I need to buy a part from Autocom to connect these two cables to a single Aux input, like part 1299? I don't see part 1299 on the autocom website, but I see it in their documentation for connecting the zumo.

My phone plays MP3s as well. If I connect it to the zumo via bluetooth, I won't hear the MP3 playback. I have this issue when I connect my phone via bluetooth to the car. It only works for calls, not playback. To get playback, would I need to run another cable from the audio out on my phone to the Pro Audio? This might cause a problem, because my phone has a single 3.5 mm jack for mic in and audio out, and if the phone detects a cable in the jack, and bluetooth connected, I'm not sure how the phone will handle it. Will it take the mic from the zumo, or from the cable (which wouldn't actually have a mic, but the phone probably wouldn't know that).
I'm having similar problems. I understand that you can call Garmin and they will help you out with your hook-up. I am calling them Monday with my problem which is "I can't hear my Zumo thru the Autocom.

Cheers,
Bill
05 K1200LT
post #3 of 12 Old May 12th, 2008, 10:02 am Thread Starter

You tackle Garmin Bill. I sent a message to Autocom. Hopefully one of them can clarify.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 12 Old May 12th, 2008, 10:13 am

I have a friend here in Augusta that has installed two of them. One way is with a modification to the Autocom unit itself and the other is with the Autocom work around via a new Blue Tooth a cable.

I understand that Autocom can explain a way to make it work. My friend really likes his as does the fellow he installed one for - each has a different wiring - but both work well.

Had some of us not teased him so badly when he first purchased the Zumo, more of them would be in use here now. It really seems to be a good unit - except for the cost of the radio antenna.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #5 of 12 Old May 12th, 2008, 7:57 pm

The problem that arises with the Zumo is when you want to interface a cell phone through it over bluetooth, as in receive and transmit audio. To get stereo sound and interface a cell phone requires a modification to the circuit board of the Autocom or the purchase of their Bluetooth adapter. If you are only going to pull music and driving directions out of the Zumo then is is pretty straight forward.

Here are the options from the Autocom site.

To interface the Zumo 550 for GPS, Music and Cell Phone:

Recommended Connections:
  • For current Autocom Units:Super Pro, Active Plus, Easi-Plus with AUX1 power enabled
Alternate Connections:
  • For Current Autocom Units: Super Pro, Active Plus, Easi-Plus
    • Connect Part #1299* into AUX2
      • *WARNING: The Rider and Passenger Speech overrides need to be disabled is order for this option to work.
To interface the Zumo 550 for GPS and Music only:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 12 Old May 12th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
The problem that arises with the Zumo is when you want to interface a cell phone through it over bluetooth, as in receive and transmit audio. To get stereo sound and interface a cell phone requires a modification to the circuit board of the Autocom or the purchase of their Bluetooth adapter. If you are only going to pull music and driving directions out of the Zumo then is is pretty straight forward.

Here are the options from the Autocom site.

To interface the Zumo 550 for GPS, Music and Cell Phone:

Recommended Connections:
  • For current Autocom Units:Super Pro, Active Plus, Easi-Plus with AUX1 power enabled
Alternate Connections:
  • For Current Autocom Units: Super Pro, Active Plus, Easi-Plus
    • Connect Part #1299* into AUX2
      • *WARNING: The Rider and Passenger Speech overrides need to be disabled is order for this option to work.
To interface the Zumo 550 for GPS and Music only:
This is correct!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #7 of 12 Old May 12th, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I have gone through the PDF "Interfacing the Zumo 550" on autocomm's website and I do see these 2 options. Maybe the recommended, pricey option is the way to go; I didn't realize how expensive getting a Zumo was going to be. But, let me try and understand the alternate. Besides, that bluetooth module under the seat might give me prostate cancer.

The reason overrides need to be disabled in the Proaudio, as I read (note, not understand) it, is that to put the input into a stereo input (to get stereo music), the audio from the Zumo must go into a low-priority, stereo input. The instruction says Aux 2. It seems that the stereo inputs are low-priority, and overridden by other inputs.

But what are my other inputs? Audio from the rider and passenger mics. There wouldn't be any others (unless I run music out of my phone into another Proaudio input, but let's not get too complicated yet). And if either passenger talks, I would want that to override the GPS, music and phone, wouldn't I? If I just wanted to drown out the pillon, I'd disconnect the cable (and wouldn't tell her). I'm sure the answer is no, or everyone wouldn't be saying you need to do this.

When I talk on the mic, will the Proaudio output that on Aux 2 as well, so that jack is both an input and an output, just like it is on my phone? It must be, because part 1299 has one plug for Aux 2, and splits it into to separate plugs for the Zumo.

Note that part 1299 does not seem to be available from the website. Maybe that method has been "discontinued". I haven't heard anything back from Autocom yet.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #8 of 12 Old May 13th, 2008, 6:50 pm

I actually performed the overide disabling surgery by removing a surface mount resistor on the circuit board of an Active Rider Pro. I tracked down a guy who had managed to get a circuit board layout from Autocom. I don't have that information for Pro AVi and I don't think they are giving that kind of information out any more.

I tried to make heads or tails out their explanation for why it was needed but it wasn't very clearly explained. The bottom line was it had to be done.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #9 of 12 Old May 13th, 2008, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
I actually performed the overide disabling surgery by removing a surface mount resistor on the circuit board of an Active Rider Pro. I tracked down a guy who had managed to get a circuit board layout from Autocom. I don't have that information for Pro AVi and I don't think they are giving that kind of information out any more.

I tried to make heads or tails out their explanation for why it was needed but it wasn't very clearly explained. The bottom line was it had to be done.
So you took the alternative approach then (maybe that's all that's available for the Active Rider Pro). The end result is good? You can hear GPS, radio, and answer calls, and talk to the pillon w/o a problem?

I'm still trying to determine if there's a downside to the alternative approach other than simplicity.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #10 of 12 Old May 14th, 2008, 7:50 am

The same options apply to the Active Rider Pro. I have worked in electronics all my life so I didn't think the act of doing the modification would be a problem. I was just lucky enough to scrounge the correct information so I could do it.

The two main reasons I went this route was:

1) I was stubborn about not paying to have the modification done by Autocom since they originally offered this service for free. I think they only charge $20 but tack on shipping and it was insulting to my Scottish heritage .

2) It was bad enough paying $85 for the 1299 interface cable. Having to pay $139 for the 1273 Bluetooth module and $59 for the 1314 stereo cable was insulting to my Irish and French heritage .

One other trivial issue was that I wasn't sure how close to the cell phone the Bluetooth adapter needed to be. I didn't know if my butt was too efficient of an RF absorber or not so putting it under the seat might have been problematic. I'm already neutered so sterility wasn't really an issue for me . I already had enough crap cluttering up my handlebars, it's on my R1200GS, so the alternate interface was the one for me. Again I say this is trivial because I'm sure I could have found an obscure place to mount it and be fully functional.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

Last edited by jwd98056; May 14th, 2008 at 8:12 am.
post #11 of 12 Old May 14th, 2008, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Jim.

I did find this thread which I think does a good job of explaining the problem. The summary is, to get the system to override as desired, you have to split the music/GPS from the phone signal, and the only way to split it is to have 2 streams coming from the zumo (rather than being combined into one) and the only way to get two streams is to use the audio out for one, and a bluetooth connection for the other (the phone).

So, since I want to be able to talk with the pillon, use the phone and not have the phone caller muted to 50% (or not override anything), I'll spend the money. I too am annoyed that it'll cost another $200, at autocom prices, to make the zumo play nice with the autocom. Maybe my heritage lacks the pride of yours (it's Scottish, or it's crap!).

So, I need a bluetooth dongle and an isolated cable. Maybe I can find one at less-than-autocom prices.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #12 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:08 am Thread Starter

One additional note. I found the audio from the zumo to be too quiet. The phone and pillon audio is fine, just the mp3 audio from the zumo is a little soft.

I disabled the 50% reduction feature in the pro avi, and it's better. Still not as loud as I'd like but better. I believe it should only reduce the audio 50% when aux 1 (the phone, via bluetooth) is active, but it seems to always reduce it by 50%.

Hoping this helps the next sap.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in