Scratched Garmin Screens...A Remedy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 11th, 2008, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Scratched Garmin Screens...A Remedy

The Garmin 276,376,378,478 marine/land and the #96 aircraft/land units all share a common screen and the brightness/high pixel count make them superb for viewing, even in bright sunlight.

These instructions are ONLY for these units.

If you did not gently wash your screen with a fluid prior to wiping down there’s a good chance you have what appears to be a highly scratched screen. Here’s what I have discovered and offer these ideas to you. THE SCREEN CAN BE MADE TO LOOK LIKE NEW!

It appears as if Garmin has a ‘coating’ on these screens the function of which is most likely to reduce glare. In my opinion it’s of minimal value and I decided that the scratched screen was difficult to look at, especially if you are compulsive. What’s scratched and ugly is the coating. If you are committed to about 10 minutes work you can restore your screen to scratch-free and what appears to look as new.

With a new or clean micro-fiber cloth or soft cotton cloth, apply Maguiar’s Fine Scratch Remover. Gently, and continuing, polish the screen with whatever motions you like to use. Just don’t press too hard. You will at first be appalled and likely call me a few names in that what was only somewhat scratched before is now one ugly mess of a screen. As you continue polishing you will notice the coating is what’s really scratched and/or partially removed. Your job is to remove all of the coating. Continue, persevere, every now and then polish with a clean cloth, and start all over again. Eventually all of the coating will come off and you have a perfect, unscratched screen.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 12th, 2008, 5:37 am

Garage
Re: Scratched Garmin Screens...A Remedy

john
just got back from a 2 day ride my 2610 screen was stuffed big blisters couldnt see the maps I was about to toss it in the bin and read your post, no one here in australia will fix these. anyhow, I scraped it with my fingernail and found that it had a film over it I managed to get it off and clean up the screen looks like new again. Really just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction nearly threw out a bloody good gps.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
john
just got back from a 2 day ride my 2610 screen was stuffed big blisters couldnt see the maps I was about to toss it in the bin and read your post, no one here in australia will fix these. anyhow, I scraped it with my fingernail and found that it had a film over it I managed to get it off and clean up the screen looks like new again. Really just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction nearly threw out a bloody good gps.
My 2610 did the same thing, got it replaced under warrenty even though it was past warrenty. I believe it is a defect on the screens. I was told by Garmin that without the layer the 2610 is no longer waterproof.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
I was told by Garmin that without the layer the 2610 is no longer waterproof.

Garry
Even tho' these are supposed to be waterproof, I'm paranoid enough about electronics that I carry some of the clear dish/lid covers in clear plastic with the stretch bottom, and slip over the GPS in really inclement weather.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #5 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2008, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Even tho' these are supposed to be waterproof, I'm paranoid enough about electronics that I carry some of the clear dish/lid covers in clear plastic with the stretch bottom, and slip over the GPS in really inclement weather.
Never thought of those, I'll try to find some up here.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #6 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2008, 1:22 pm

Try invisible shield http://www.zagg.com/ they manufacturer clear shields for all types of products; cell phones,dvd players,cameras, oh and gps units.
good luck
Lawrey
post #7 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2008, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwpaxton
Try invisible shield http://www.zagg.com/ they manufacturer clear shields for all types of products; cell phones,dvd players,cameras, oh and gps units.
good luck
Lawrey
I tried one for my PDA and I found it a PITA to apply, but that's just one person's opinion. I'm sure they are a quality product, but just not for me.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in