Another GPS question- 2620 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Another GPS question- 2620

Hello all,

I just registered- this is my first post. Just picked up my 2nd LT (08 Blue). Had a Canyon Red 00 and sold it a while back (because of a move... to Miami. I wasn't finding riding enjoyable down there).

My question is about a 2620- I can get one for $100.00. I guess I would like to know if this unit will do everything I need a GPS to do without problems. I know it doesn't have xm or mp3 storage- I have both of those items, so I suppose I can do without. Just can't see spending $500-$600 or more for a gps.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 11:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Another GPS question- 2620

The 2620 is the same as the 2610 except it has a mini hard drive for map storage instead of a CF card. It is a good GPS, I still have my 2610 but went for the brighter, 3D, and text to speech of the 2720. There was some speculation that the HD would not hold up under Motorcycle vibrations but I have not seen a documented failure.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Another GPS question- 2620

Thanks John,

I made a few calls after posting and found a 2720 at a pawn shop. Went in, took a look and talked them down to $100. Now I'm updating the software. Also ordered the mount from MegaGPS- it'll be here tomorrow. Shipping cost more than the mount... but want to mount it up before this weekend's ride.

I should have remembered all the "little incidental costs" that add up with the K12, but somehow I conveniently forgot!

I should be pretty well set now.

Thanks again.

Norwood
08 Biarritz Blue K1200LT (unnamed)
NC

post #4 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 9:12 pm

What John said!

But a hard drive will fail, not a question of if but when. But for a $100 its a good deal and its disposable. At that price you could buy two and keep a spare. Then again you may want to consider a more recent GPS that would be supported longer by Garmin with updates and maps. Oh but here is another point. The hard drive is a finite amount of space and is loaded with non user data. If you had the 2610 you could get different CF cards or bigger CF cards.

Some info from the Garmin site to consider.

"Q. Is the StreetPilot 2620 just a StreetPilot 2610 with a GS MagicStor CF hard drive?
A. While the StreetPilot 2620 and StreetPilot 2610 have the same look and firmware update package, their internal hardware is different and the firmware behaves differently. Additionally, the hard drive shipped in the StreetPilot 2620 has specially enhanced firmware that makes it better suited for our application. The standard GS MagicStor or other hard drive available through normal retail distribution does not have these enhancements and, hence, may cause interference and will not work reliably with Garmin's StreetPilot 2610 or 2620. Use of hard drives that are not approved by Garmin may cause damage to the drive or the unit and, hence, void the warranty.

Q. Is there currently extra space on the StreetPilot 2620's hard drive for additional maps?
A. Yes. The amount of space available for additional maps will depend upon the version of City Navigator that is loaded to your StreetPilot 2620. City Navigator version 5.00 will leave approximately 500 MB and version 6.00 will leave approximately 300 MB available. The preloaded mapset cannot be overwritten using MapSource. MapSource will only load maps to the remaining space on the hard drive. This amount of space is subject to change as updates occur to the preloaded database."

If it were me I'd spend a few more bucks on a 2610 or a 2720.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 8 Old May 9th, 2008, 5:01 am Thread Starter

Re: Another GPS question- 2620 NOW: Mapsource HELP please!

Thanks Mike,

Actually, what I picked up for $100.00 is the 2720. Great deal, I think. The only problem I'm having now is trying to learn how to make routes on the pc and transfer them to the unit. I was able to download Mapsource, but the map is very bare (doesn't show all the roads).

So, to hijack my own thread- is there anyone with a 27xx who can tell me how to update the Mapsource map? Do I need to buy the software or new maps? And, can I upload routes from Mapsource to the unit? Garmin said yes, when I called them.

Thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old May 9th, 2008, 5:56 pm

If you have the program (Mapsource) you can download the maps on your GPS to it. Whatever is on your GPS can be downloaded from what I recall. I have never had to do it since I buy the upgrades and download (repalce the maps on the GPS) then load mapsource with the new maps on my PC.

I have a 2720 & Navigator III (2820). All use the current City Navigator 2009 maps I bought at TVNAV.COM. Price is $60 plus S&H. I recommend you stop by there and buy a set. Not only will it upgrade your GPS, but will give you a leagal copy of the software and maps on your PC. I also suggest you register your GPS with Garmin.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #7 of 8 Old May 9th, 2008, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Arthur,

Thank you!!! I have Mapsource v8 preloaded. The Garmin customer service rep mentioned picking up the 09 version.

I'm beginning to understand. This site is great- it's already saving me money and headaches.
post #8 of 8 Old May 11th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The 2620 is the same as the 2610 except it has a mini hard drive for map storage instead of a CF card. It is a good GPS, I still have my 2610 but went for the brighter, 3D, and text to speech of the 2720. There was some speculation that the HD would not hold up under Motorcycle vibrations but I have not seen a documented failure.
Did the same. My 2720 has held up perfectly. The 2610 was equally as reliable on the LT. I used the BMW mount through the maplight. I've used this setup on my '01, '04 and '05 LT's.
I'm just putting the finishing touches on our route for an annual spring ride with 10 buddies. They just follow me! I've honed it every year, now enter the routes as 2008 Day 1, 2008 Day 2, etc. Every gas and rest stop is in the gps. I've found that the guys taking water pills usually require an early in the day emergency stop, sometimes as early as 1/2 hour to 45 minutes into the morning, that I couldn't plan for!
You won't regret the 2620 and at $100, it's a steal!
Just some added info- City Nav 2009 seems to have been made available on the Garmin website for download or to purchase the DVD. I made my purchase a few minutes ago. I think this must just have come online in the last hour or so. I've been checking periodically over the last couple of days and the site said it would be back up shortly and, as of an hour ago, it seems to be . The download seems pretty huge and even on roadrunner it's time consuming.

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!

Last edited by wjhanna; May 12th, 2008 at 12:19 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in