Updating Navigator II - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 6th, 2008, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Updating Navigator II

Anyone able to help me figure out how in the world to update the map source to my Navigator II . I have the outlet to plug it into an AC source and the cable to the computer ...Help!!!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 6th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Re: Updating Navigator II

I have a Nav III. I think they are the same. YMMV. You can plug in the AC cord to the NAV II and then plug it into the wall and turn it on, but hold off on inserting the USB cable until you install software from the CD that came with the GPS. It should be there somewhere. They may also include it on the update DVD.

My original DVD was marked (GARMIN) setup and map data DVD. Its a pretty standard Windows XP install. Neither the DVD nor the instructions, which are on the inside front cover of the DVD case, does not specify O/S.

So, you need a PC/Laptop that can read a DVD, XP will work - OS/X and older Wiindows, I have no way to tell. Vista? good luck. Few odd things work on Vista.

The normal installer has to load drivers for the Nav box, so brain dead XP will know how to recognize/address/access the Navigator II. When you put the DVD in, a menu should come up. If not, D:\Setup should launch the menu, where D: may need to be adjusted to your DVD Drive letter.

There should be an Install choice. That will tell you when to insert the USB.

Note that you will need a 25 digit unlock code to install / edit the maps. That should have come in the box if new, and with the update DVD if this is an update.

Bill.
post #3 of 4 Old May 6th, 2008, 10:50 pm

The drivers and software for the Garmin units can be found here ...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

But I did not see the Navigator II listed. I suggest you register the unit so you can gain full access to the support arena. FWIW, the USB and Webupdater files are lsited here and they work with the Navigator series as well as the 2xx0 series.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Last edited by ArthurKnowles; May 6th, 2008 at 10:56 pm.

post #4 of 4 Old May 7th, 2008, 4:58 am

A few preliminaries here...

1. Have you recently acquired the NAV II & accompanying software and want to know what to do next? or..

2. Have you had it a while, you installed the software onto your computer when you got it and have been using it a while, and are now wondering how to perform an upgrade of either the GPS or the software? Or both?

The reason I ask, is that you don't "upgrade" Mapsource on the GPS. Mapsource is the application that resides on your computer that allows you to view and manage the map detail for the part of the world you are operating in, and further allows you to then manage waypoints, routes, points of interest, etc. and transfer them to your GPS for your use on the road. The only upgrades you would perform on your GPS are to the firmware of the unit itself and the set of maps that contain the map detail you will need to get the most from your NAV II. Those maps are on the DVD you have, and the amount of map detail you can download to your GPS will be determined by the size of the data storage card you have. A 2GB card, for example, will allow you to download the entire U.S. onto your NAV II. Map upgrades are released by Garmin on average about once each year and run about $75. Mapsource updates are published often and are free, and you can perform those updates easily by going to Mapsource Help and performing a "search for update" function. Any GPS firmware upgrades are also available from Garmin's site and are also free, in your case using the Street Pilot 2610's latest version of firmware. They also have a Web Updater application you can download and use, that will automatically scan your GPS for the latest firmware version.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in