Com and GPS upgrade. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Com and GPS upgrade.

Has anyone ever ripped out the BMW Com II system and started over. I want desperately to upgrade my BMW NAV I to something like the 2820, but it is not compatable with my com system. My 2002 bike is like new condition (clean machine) and I really don't want to buy another bike at this time. I am waiting on a new generation LT. I would like to get another com system that would integrate with the BMW-AM/FM-radio, CD player, cassette tape deck and would also work with the 2820. Has anyone attempted this or know of a dealer who could do this for me?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:47 am

Re: Com and GPS upgrade.

I'm sure any BMW dealer could do it for you. All I have seen also sell and install the Autocom system. And that system has an interface for everything (if you buy the right base model). It only costs money.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:21 pm
Old Dawg

Don I would think the Baehr LT system would work perfect for you. Raffy should have good information on this for you or check here: http://www.baehrusa.com/Products_K1200LT.html

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
Don I would think the Baehr LT system would work perfect for you. Raffy should have good information on this for you or check here: http://www.baehrusa.com/Products_K1200LT.html
Thanks, that sound like what I need. I wonder if my BMW push to talk switch and CB radio would work, just by connecting the BMW sound system plug to the current system. I'm guessing my BMW Com I is in the stingray. Would I just leave it there or remove it. Would my switches (volume, mute, etc.) on the left handle grip work? I'll talk to Raffy about it. I don't know if I'd have time to install it. I'll also need to check with BMW of Atlanta to see if they would. Or, anyone else in the Southeast who might be in the business of doing so. Anyone on this site that has that sort of business, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Anyone got a link to Raffy. The one I have stored doesn't work, neither does the one listed on this site.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #6 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Anyone got a link to Raffy. The one I have stored doesn't work, neither does the one listed on this site.
http://www.motogear4you.com/

Try this one.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Dick

I have been toying with the same idea. I am wondering if the VOICE will fit in the same space and not be too much of a big deal to install.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Thank you.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Dick

I have been toying with the same idea. I am wondering if the VOICE will fit in the same space and not be too much of a big deal to install.
Hi Al,

Maybe we could do them together. According to Raffy's site, it sounds pretty simple. I'm not sure about having it sit on top of the battery, though. Even at Raffy's sale price of $1,250.00 it would be an expensive undertaking. When I start adding everything up, it might be not much more expense to buy a new bike already equipped with everything I need. I need new shocks, new GPS and new com. All that together is going to be close to $4,000.00.
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/prod...1bf15811d593ec

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 12 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Quote:
All that together is going to be close to $4,000.00
Ouch! It does sound like new bike time, doesn't it? I don't have any real issues right now, other than the fact that the Comm System is a bit dated and the 2.5mm phone connection has something wrong with it and is acting up. The rest of it is "working" but I have to wonder if I could do better. I just have to believe there is a cat-daddy LT just around the corner with every conceivable gizmo we can all imagine and all of it integrated. Apart from that, the technicians at the Nashville dealership that I patronize are really high on the Baehr system. Easy to install and works flawlessly so they say, but I have no idea.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Last edited by Ranger6; Apr 28th, 2008 at 9:04 pm.
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Hi Al,

Maybe we could do them together. According to Raffy's site, it sounds pretty simple. I'm not sure about having it sit on top of the battery, though. Even at Raffy's sale price of $1,250.00 it would be an expensive undertaking. When I start adding everything up, it might be not much more expense to buy a new bike already equipped with everything I need. I need new shocks, new GPS and new com. All that together is going to be close to $4,000.00.
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/prod...1bf15811d593ec
Hey Doc and Al,

When I bought John Rehder's LT he had just installed the Baehr LT unit. Sitting on top of the battery is not an issue. I don't know about the BMW Comm system, but the Baehr you is miles above the top of the line AutoCom that was on the LT I bought from Raffy. Doc if you want to see what the installation looks like, let me know and I'll ride down your way.

Cheers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hey Doc and Al,

When I bought John Rehder's LT he had just installed the Baehr LT unit. Sitting on top of the battery is not an issue. I don't know about the BMW Comm system, but the Baehr you is miles above the top of the line AutoCom that was on the LT I bought from Raffy. Doc if you want to see what the installation looks like, let me know and I'll ride down your way.

Cheers.
Hi Steve,

I'd love to see it. Did John install it? What GPS do you have attached to it? Let me know when you might be able to get together, and I check my calender also. Maybe I could meet you half way. If Al wants to take a look at it. We could me somewhere in between the three of us. Email me at [email protected].

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Last edited by REWDOC; Apr 28th, 2008 at 9:28 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in