Zumo 550 ordered from Tristate Camera - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 ordered from Tristate Camera

I decided to take the plunge and order the zumo. I did some online research, and came up with Tristate Camera, who had an out-the-door price of about $650. I checked their reviews and they had a few bad ones, but most were good, and they seemed to have had fewer complaints in the last 3 months. So, maybe they're getting better. I order the zumo.

I get an email the next day asking me to call them. Oh man, here we go, the bait and switch. When I finally talk to someone (select order status, not customer service, of which there doesn't appear to be any), he wanted to verify I had memory since I didn't order any, as if I must have that to use the device. I tell him I didn't need any, and he said no problem and the order would be shipped out right away.

Hmm, I'm suspicious. Is it just a quick upsell attempt? Will the unit really ship? If it ever arrives, I sure hope I don't have any problems. I've already got a taste of what their customer service means. I guess these are the issues when dealing with a low-cost supplier. I'll let you know how it turns out.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 6:28 am

Re: Zumo 550 ordered from Tristate Camera

Usually with discount camera stores the email requesting a call to confirm the order is at least an upsell attempt. In many cases it's also when you discover that the item you ordered at the incredibly low web advertised price is a gray market piece that the manufacturer won't support in the U.S. and for which you need to buy a warranty if you want one.

If you didn't get that pitch, you're probably fine.
post #3 of 6 Old May 4th, 2008, 11:50 pm

I bought my Zumo 550 and have it on the bike.

FYI - www.erwincomputers.com best Zumo price of any I have seen posted.
$637.00 and it seems that each week or so it goes down by a few bucks.

I checked them out with Garmin and they gave them a big 4 1/2 stars out of 5.
Free shipping (3 days).
No hastle.
Use the Google pay for security.

Cheers, Bill
05 K1200LT

post #4 of 6 Old May 5th, 2008, 11:59 am Thread Starter

I'll keep erwincomputers in mind next time.

The Zumo did show up. The box wasn't sealed and I was concerned it wasn't a new item, but everything seemed to be in there and it new condition. It works, anyway. Now I'm waiting for the backordered clutch mount to mount it. All in all Tristate was okay, but I still don't trust them.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #5 of 6 Old May 5th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I'll keep erwincomputers in mind next time.

The Zumo did show up. The box wasn't sealed and I was concerned it wasn't a new item, but everything seemed to be in there and it new condition. It works, anyway. Now I'm waiting for the backordered clutch mount to mount it. All in all Tristate was okay, but I still don't trust them.
What is a clutch mount? I got two mounts in my package. One is for the car with a speaker in the back of the mount and the other is for the bike and it doesn't have a speaker so you have to run the voice (if you want to hear it) through your helmet somehow.

Cheers, Bill
05 K1200LT
post #6 of 6 Old May 5th, 2008, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCav
What is a clutch mount? I got two mounts in my package. One is for the car with a speaker in the back of the mount and the other is for the bike and it doesn't have a speaker so you have to run the voice (if you want to hear it) through your helmet somehow.
I didn't see any good way to mount it to the bike with the Hw in the box, so I ordered a mount that screws to the top of the clutch cover. It was discussed in this thread .

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in