City Navigator 2009 available @ TVNAV.Com - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:36 am Thread Starter

City Navigator 2009 available @ TVNAV.Com

For those with an interest, City Navigator 2009 is available at TVNav.Com for $60.00 + S&H. I ordered a copy today to try on my Nav III.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:46 am

Re: City Navigator 2009 available @ TVNAV.Com

I took a trip last summer with my shiny new Garmin 276C from Fl to Ca to Id to Fl and all I can say about City Navagator 8 (and Garmin) is what a piece of crap! I doubt that spending another 60 bucks will help any. Here's what happened. Looking for gas and being very low near Dubois, Id., where I KNOW there are a few stations right off I-15, Navigator told me nearest gas station was 21 miles from that exit! I had many other glitches, wrong lane to get on a freeway in L.A. No Tank museum in places to go, you name it that program is the Pits!

Best one of all, probabley a software glitch in the unit but??? I'm heading east on I-90 out of Billings going towards Sheridan,Wy and ask it to take me home fastest way first,(wanted to see if it would rt me onto 212) now mind you I HAD this mapped in already, it tells me I need to drop south at I-25 and go to NM and thru Texas and such to get home. It's 2450 miles from my doorway to Sheridan, it wants me to go 4600+ miles to go home! I took a photo it was a hoot. It has a long way to go before I'll spend the money again, I'll need it for gas money next time it gets me lost! Just my luck!

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

A GPS is only as good as its maps. That's one of the reasons to upgrade. As an FYI, errors should be reported ont eh Navtec website. That's how the maps get fixed.

As for poor routing, I do understand. All GPS have problems of one type or another. That's why you need to be able to think for yourself and use the GPS as a guide not absolute arbitrator. When my Mom came up to visit using a Magellan GPS, what it did to her and where it wanted her to go was terrible. Good thing I called her and gave her better/quicker directions after the GPS had her turned around more than once.

Still, a GPS can be a very useful tool. An up to date model is even better.

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Garmin's City Navigator 8 has a very intersting little bug. Go into the routing preferences area and look at your settings for backroads/highways. It does the OPPOSITE of what you think. If you tell it to use more backroads, it will actually route you along more highways. Confused the heck outta me until I figured it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Hmm, isn't routing actually handled by the software not the map data? I've kept mine up to date with webupdate and haven't run into that problem with traffic or backroads. It generally routes me around item I tell it to avoid.

post #6 of 16 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmisses
I took a trip last summer with my shiny new Garmin 276C from Fl to Ca to Id to Fl and all I can say about City Navagator 8 (and Garmin) is what a piece of crap! I doubt that spending another 60 bucks will help any. Here's what happened. Looking for gas and being very low near Dubois, Id., where I KNOW there are a few stations right off I-15, Navigator told me nearest gas station was 21 miles from that exit! I had many other glitches, wrong lane to get on a freeway in L.A. No Tank museum in places to go, you name it that program is the Pits!

Best one of all, probabley a software glitch in the unit but??? I'm heading east on I-90 out of Billings going towards Sheridan,Wy and ask it to take me home fastest way first,(wanted to see if it would rt me onto 212) now mind you I HAD this mapped in already, it tells me I need to drop south at I-25 and go to NM and thru Texas and such to get home. It's 2450 miles from my doorway to Sheridan, it wants me to go 4600+ miles to go home! I took a photo it was a hoot. It has a long way to go before I'll spend the money again, I'll need it for gas money next time it gets me lost! Just my luck!
How do you have the "Road Selection" preference set up? Depending what you selected will dicate what kind of roads it selects. I've used it extensively and found it (276C and City Nav) to very accurate.

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #7 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 8:28 am

It was set for fastest as I use freeways mostly. Set it up custom too and told it to take me home having set it for major rds and it screwed that pooch too. Basically Garmin told me to F disk the unit. and start over. I did, but haven't used it much since. As for knowing more than a GPS about where I'm going, I usually do! I travel roads I know mostly. Seeing how bad these things are first hand and then hearing other horror stories just make it all the more fun. It does work better on the water! There it's Pretty damn good most of the time. Nothing replaces the human brain thoough and most would do well to not forget it. As for the info it generates in the way of time & distance that can be invaluable in preparing for a coming trip. The tracks sec. works even better in getting you back once the info is established. But updating? give it another year or 2, then maybe some glitches will be fixed. Hell, they tear up the roads around here faster than they fix'um anyway!

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #8 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Hmm, isn't routing actually handled by the software not the map data?
The map data is what the software refers to when creating the route. You'll find if you create routes and then try to use them later on (after updated your maps), that Mapsource or your GPS will want to update the route as well.
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
... That's why you need to be able to think for yourself and use the GPS as a guide not absolute arbitrator.
I've learned this first-hand. It's easy to become too dependent. One time, while blindly following a GPS route, the unit took me past the turn to my destination, through a subdivision, coming back to the road I was originally on, going back the way I came, and then turning to my destination. Very strange. It's like it had a waypoint in that subdivision for some reason.

I'm not so good with directions, but GPS can make it worse or better, depending on how you use it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Garage

bob
you are right you canot trust the gps completely my missus says that I have blind faith in mine (GPS) but I am useless at finding my way around, I am so bad when I go to a city park and park car/bike, walk around for an hour looking at bloody dresses and shoes I lose the car park and the car, Glad shes with me thou it is my experience that the gps is only as good as the maps installed, I have been on some fabulous tracks using mine, absoluted no idea where I am. but always be assured you will get to your destination at some point If you are happy with the quoted arrival time on the gps then I figure what the I hell. enjoy the ride and go where Iam told.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 6:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
One time, while blindly following a GPS route, the unit took me past the turn to my destination, through a subdivision, coming back to the road I was originally on, going back the way I came, and then turning to my destination. Very strange. It's like it had a waypoint in that subdivision for some reason.
Sometimes the GPS reacts differently if a waypoint is on an eastbound section of road rather than a westbound section (or northbound/southbound). They're not perfect, but they sure have saved me a ton of time and trouble, especially when wandering through unfamiliar areas (such as Europe where you're fighting languages as well as directions).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 6:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
...walk around for an hour looking at bloody dresses and shoes ...enjoy the ride and go where I am told.
Boy, she's sure got you trained.

The newer gps units are getting smaller and lighter. Many of the car units have a built-in battery and cradle, and will automatically record the current location when they are removed from the cradle. So you drive to your destination, pop the gps out and use it while walking around, then hit a button and it will guide you back to where you parked. Pretty cool.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

OK, I have to ask. Does anyone who has had a problem with their GPS use the "display directions" option? Or use <apsource to create the route up front then download it to their GPS?

I use both at times. Mostly to make 100% sure I know where the GPS is routing me and to make changes by inserting waypoints (via Mapsource) to make sure the route I am going to take is the right one.

I've had to do the same using Mapoint, Streets & Trips, Pocket Streets, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, etc. from time to time.

And we will not speak of the route the Magellian GPS my sister gave to my niece & nephed and then my Mom. When my mother came out here the Magellian GPS did everything it could to prevent her from arriving at my house. Seriously. It was a good thing I called her and rerouted her.

post #14 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Garage

yep I do use the pc if planning a trip then download to gps it is much easier, you have a lot more vision of the trip via the PC and I also check for new updates at the same time

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #15 of 16 Old May 1st, 2008, 12:05 am

Bob, I had the same sort of thing happen to me. GPS sent me on a wild goose chase crossing my own path. I had the thing set to avoid hiways when the hotel was one stop a way. It took me all through the city to get me there. I laughed my self silly when I figured out what I did.

I do agree that release 8 was the worse. In Rev 7, my home location had the correct address. Now, its almost 100 numbers off. Really bad upgrade. Can't quite see spending $60 more to fix their mistakes, but will eventually have to.
post #16 of 16 Old May 1st, 2008, 2:37 pm

So, is 2008 going to be the last update for us guys with the old StreetPilot III?

2003 K1200LT Titan Silver - The Great Escape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in