Hooking up the GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Hooking up the GPS

I'm just wondering if I need to take off all the tupperware to run the main hookup to the battery. I have nothing else going on with the bike like extra lights etc to warrant another fuse box. So can I just tap into the map light wiring? If I want to run voice to the Autocom unit is the 3.5 mm plugin in the back of the unit? I just don't want to go to all that trouble to find out I didn't need to.

Thanks,
Bill
05 K1200 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Zumo hookup questions

Do I need to take the stingray tupperware off to wire in the Zumo? I don't have any accessories at this time so I need an answer to the question... can i just wire it to the map light and forget about going under the tupperware to the battery? Also... does the Autocom III have a 3.5 mm voice hookup on the back, which I can't get to unless I remove the Stingray, or is it just the one I see on the front of the Autocom that I plug into?

Thanks, Bill
05 K1200LT
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

In the GPS forum...

There's a write-up about powering a GPS here.
I happen to hook my audio up to Bluetooth. Can't help with the Autocom.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:41 am

Re: In the GPS forum...

Not knowing which GPS you have, it's hard to say, but I did a post in the GPS section covering a Garmin 2610. Initially I removed the left side and snaked it thru under the stingray to right side. When I had stingray off for air filter, I ran it a little better.

Can you really do anything without removing at least ONE piece of tupperware? : )

Some folks do use the map wiring, depending on mounting location. Mine is on top of stingray so under that worked for me; however, if you are using a shelf, map light should work.

Audio on 2610 plugs in to the cable and the com system.

We may need more information to help ya, if that doesn't cover it.

Randy
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

constant power thoughts

I hooked mine up to the map light and wish that I had instead, used a source of power that was on all the time. Just a thought to consider as I will be changing mine soon. Hate to have to reset it after a power off at fill up, etc..... I also like to get mine set up before powering up the bike. Can't do that with an off-on power source.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 5:08 pm

Re: constant power thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I hooked mine up to the map light and wish that I had instead, used a source of power that was on all the time. Just a thought to consider as I will be changing mine soon. Hate to have to reset it after a power off at fill up, etc..... I also like to get mine set up before powering up the bike. Can't do that with an off-on power source.
My GPS is powered from the map light on my '99 LT. It has power even is the ignition switch is off. It only shuts down if I lock the handlebars, so the GPS stays on while I'm refueling.

Seems like the map light has three connectors. Is one switched and one unswitched, perhaps?
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:02 pm

The map light is an auto dome light German design. The unused post is for the door open ground switch. HTH
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:06 am

Re: Hooking up the GPS

On new bikes that have dual purpose front signals (dim = running, bright = signal), I find it much easier to tap farkle power from the light's dim circuit. It is switched, easier to access to access than the map light and usually easier to hide the wires. There is plenty of room to use spade Y adapters (female to 2 male).

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I went the always on route. Actually ran the power direct from the battery for now with the in-line fuse that came with the Zumo. I plan to add a fuse box under the seat so that was a good place to route power cable anyway.

It's great not having to tell the GPS to run on battery when I stop for gas. I like keeping it on so all the Bluetooth stuf doesn't have to reconnect.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #10 of 10 Old May 5th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Re: In the GPS forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Not knowing which GPS you have, it's hard to say, but I did a post in the GPS section covering a Garmin 2610. Initially I removed the left side and snaked it thru under the stingray to right side. When I had stingray off for air filter, I ran it a little better.

Audio on 2610 plugs in to the cable and the com system.

We may need more information to help ya, if that doesn't cover it.

Randy
Hi Randy,

I Have an '04 Model LT with the BMW navigator prep wiring already fitted. It pokes out of the top of the Radio/CD housing (I'm guessing thats what you call the stingray??).
There is also a "Pyramid" shaped plastic mount which the Sat-Nav must fit to. I've bought a Garmin 2610, which I was told would fit directly to it.

However, having now paid the green, I can't see how it fits together.

Should there be a cradle or mount of some type which the Garmin sits in, and in turn connects to the BMW Pyramid? There are 4 holes in this Pyramid thing and it looks like i'm definitely missing something.

Also, where can i get this item, as it seems to be no longer available here in the good old UK (London) and most people just shrug shoulders when I ask??

Many Thanks.

Kryton

Needs must...As The Devil Ages!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in