New Zumo 550 questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:43 am Thread Starter

New Zumo 550 questions

I have mounted the Zumo on my BMR shelf and am about to take off the sting ray part of the bike to run the wires.

I want to do all the wiring at once so my questions are... does the Zumo audio cable have two different sized jacks. The instructions say audio out is 3.5 mm and microphone is 2.5 mm. I don't know what this means? Where would I get this cable? And the other question I have is... do I really need an XM antenna that cost $240.00 or can I use something else? This is the Garmin price.

Thanks, Bill
05 K1200 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:32 am

Garage
Re: New Zumo 550 questions

Hi Bil

Welcome to the world of Zumo.

First, try this site www.zumoforums.com. Lot's of info on the unit.

The 3.5mm jack in your audio out from the Zumo to a headset or to a comm system like an Autocom or similar.

I use the Etymotic earphones but will be converting to the Autocom system. These plug directly into the Zumo which controls their volume.

They 2.5 mm plug is for connection of a cell phone into the Zumo via the phones bluetooth. That's where you would plug in a microphone so others could hear your voice.

The GXM30 is really an XM radio and antenna, thus its higher price. Shop around and you can find better pricing. I paid $199 at Xmas with a 3 month free trial. With the XM you can also add, for an additional fee, XM NavTraffic and XM Weather.

Ron
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:40 am Thread Starter

RGManly

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Bill
05 K1200LT

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCav
I want to do all the wiring at once so my questions are... does the Zumo audio cable have two different sized jacks. The instructions say audio out is 3.5 mm and microphone is 2.5 mm. I don't know what this means? Where would I get this cable?
Not just ONE cable, but two. Think of the 3.5mm jack as an OUTPUT, and the 2.5mm jack as an INPUT. If you have an intercom system and want to use a cellphone while riding, this is important. Otherwise, the 2.5mm jack is unnecessary.

You would run one cable from the 550s 3.5mm jack into the intercom's music or GPS input. The other cable would go from the 550's 2.5mm jack into the intercom's cellphone input. That allows your voice to get to the 550 for cell phone use, voice dialing, etc...

Quote:
And the other question I have is... do I really need an XM antenna that cost $240.00 or can I use something else? This is the Garmin price.
Yes, only the GXM 30 will work with the 550. I bought one on eBay for $75 to my door. Still sucked, but not too shabby.

HTH
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.
One question wasn't answered though. Where would I purchase the 3.5 cable to run to my autocom unit?

Thanks, Bill
05 K1200LT
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Bill,

I don't know what Autocom unit you have, but you can purchase it right off the Autocom website. I'm not sure what all you need, but a quick email or phone call and you should be all set.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Where would I purchase the 3.5 cable to run to my autocom unit?
Just about anywhere. Google "3.5mm male to male stereo patch cable". Should be less than $5. Autocom will charge you much MUCH more.

OH ... some places may refer to this as an 1/8" cable. Same thing.

HTH
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 3:52 pm

If you get just any 3.5 mm cable you may get a whine going into the Autocom. I had to use a cable with a ground loop isolater built into it for my 2820 to get rid of the hum but then it cuts sown the volume to the point that i want to add a booster now! Good luck

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Question MORE Zumo 550 questions

A similar question from those of us with older LT's that have/had the CD player and cassette player, is it possible to tie into one of those audio circuits for the output from the Zumo 550 and achieve satisfactory results from either MP3 or XM playback? If so, is one better than the other and where do the wires end up underneath all the plastic? Sure would be nice to know before investing in the cost of the Zumo 550.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Re: MORE Zumo 550 questions

For those that have the cassette adapter in the oddments box, one of these will work quite well with a Zumo, MP3 player or your Sirius/XM unit. It will also play out through the bike's speakers. That's the good news. The bad news is only one can be heard through the speakers unless you use some sort of multi-input amplifier between all the different devices. If you an an intercomm other than one of the BMW units, then you should have multiple inputs to handle everything. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Smile Re: MORE Zumo 550 questions

Not sure why, but it doesn't work unless it needs to be powered from other than the internal battery? I've used it with the XM Roady and it works, so not sure why it wouldn't be compatible with the 550. Otherwise the Zumo map part works great, and in the cage Jill and MP3 output comes through the external speaker although rather poor audio quality compared to the radio speakers.

UPDATE: Tried in the car and it DOES require external power to work through XM cassette player and internal car speakers much better than Zumo speaker.

Thanks for the input. I'll try it on the bike tomorrow and see how it works.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."

Last edited by gdroege; Mar 29th, 2008 at 10:08 pm.
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Re: MORE Zumo 550 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
For those that have the cassette adapter in the oddments box, one of these will work quite well with a Zumo, MP3 player or your Sirius/XM unit. It will also play out through the bike's speakers. That's the good news. The bad news is only one can be heard through the speakers unless you use some sort of multi-input amplifier between all the different devices. If you an an intercomm other than one of the BMW units, then you should have multiple inputs to handle everything. JM2CW
Sorry to report the sound quality not as good as I had hoped. I know it isn't the cassette adapter unit which sounds perfect in the car, but has poor results on the bike. It almost sounds like static at times, will go clear, and cut out again. Not sure where to go from here, except try to find a more direct connection to the non-BMW Clarion CB/Intercom unit I had installed on the 99LT before autocom had been introduced.

Anyone out there using the Clarion unit have any suggestions as to where I could tie in to the system as there is no plug-in. I have removed the CD Player, so wonder if that is a possibility?

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Before I purchased my Autocom system for my helmets, I played my MP3 player over the radio with a small FM transmitter that plugged into the headset jack (3.5mm or 1/8"). You can find them by Apple for the Ipod or by others generically.
They come in different configurations. 4 set frequencies to use or multiple freq (more than 4).
I would think that it would also work for any GPS with an audio out.
I'm considering the Zumo 450, as I don't have any need for XM or Blue Tooth.

Ride Safe.

Scott
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Anderson
Before I purchased my Autocom system for my helmets, I played my MP3 player over the radio with a small FM transmitter that plugged into the headset jack (3.5mm or 1/8"). You can find them by Apple for the Ipod or by others generically.
They come in different configurations. 4 set frequencies to use or multiple freq (more than 4).
I would think that it would also work for any GPS with an audio out.
I'm considering the Zumo 450, as I don't have any need for XM or Blue Tooth.

Ride Safe.

Scott
Thanks for the suggestion. The one advantage the 550 has over the 450 is it comes with all the needed hardware for both bike and auto as well as all the cords, etc. some of which you have to buy extra, I'm told, with the 450.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in