2820 and BC-3 Bluetooth - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

2820 and BC-3 Bluetooth

Has anyone hooked up the comm system and Garmin 2820 to be able to use the Bluetooth phone functionality? I use the 2820 in my cage as a Bluetooth speakerphone and would like to that same functionality on my bike. I tried doing a search here but didn't find anything. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:56 pm

Re: 2820 and BC-3 Bluetooth

Yes, but the 2820 and Nav III (I have the Nav III) do not support the microphone on the GPS. Or maybe it's the GPS that requires the microphone as the GPS is the item that responds with no mic.

The solution is pretty simple, just buy a Motorola HF820 hands free kit. The kit has a 2.5 mm output and wires up with the BMW cell phone adapter kit (A $20 wire about 6 ~ 9 inches long). That method works just fine in the LT and is what I have installed. You can find the HF820 on eBay for about $25.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

I have an HF820 but I want to get rid of it and just use the GPS as the bluetooth adaptor and be able to put my phone in the trunk. I don't have a wiring diagram of the 2820 cables but I don't know why I can't make a cable to go from the 2820 microphone jack to the cell phone input of the BC-3.

Are you saying that the BMW intercom doesn't support he GPS microphone? I don't really understand what you are saying. Thanks for the assist.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:21 pm

What I am saying is that the GPS has no way to interface with the microphone on the intercom/headset. The GPS reports no microphone when you connect via bluetooth. It's not meant to connect that way. It's meant to be used as a standalone configuration in a car where you can place the external Garmin microphone that connects to the GPS for user input.

The intercom/headset works just fine with the HF820 connected to the phone jack on the intercom panel. That's why I use it. If you want to use bluetooth on the GPS then you will have to use the Garmin external microphone too. Having two mics in one helmet and two pairs of wires could get messy, which is why everyone else is using the HF820.

It might be possible to connect the microphone in your existing helmet to the GPS external microphone input, but them you'd have to hack the intercom wiring. Even then, you'd have two devices connected to one microphone and I have no idea how well that might or might not work. It wasn't worth pursuing as far as I was concerned since the HF820 & BMW cable could be purchased for less than $50 and is a proven solution.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to make a cable to interface between the 2820 microphone jack and the cell phone input of the intercom.

The only issue that I see (other than wiring diagram and impedence matching), is getting the cell phone's receive audio to play through the helmet speakers.

The HF820 is a nice solution and I use it but I like the ability to see who is calling on the GPS since it is more at eye level. Having to charge the HF820 is another reason I want to get rid of it. I also would like to put the phone in the trunk where I have a 12V plug so I can charge the phone and not take up room under the stingray.

I was hoping that someone had attempted this but I guess I'll have to throw on my thinking cap.
post #6 of 6 Old May 18th, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
It's meant to be used as a standalone configuration in a car where you can place the external Garmin microphone that connects to the GPS for user input.
Why can't the Garmin microphone jack be wired to the intercom cell phone input? I tried doing that but no matter what configuration I tried I couldn't get it to work properly. My wife either heard nothing or heard me extremely faint. I can hear her just fine though. I don't know much about how microphones work so I don't know what I am missing. I have done numerouse web searches and haven't found anything that helps.

Is there something in the Garmin microphone that I need to make this work? I'm trying to avoid buying a microphone and taking it apart.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in