Garmin 2720 Installed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 2720 Installed

I installed a Garmin 2720 on my K1200LT today replacing my older StreetPilot III. Initially, I was getting a buzzing sound whenever I turned the 2720 on, even if the audio connector was unplugged. I had hooked the 2720 power cable up to the same leads that the SP III had used. These were on a harness coming out of the Voice II (or is it III?) providing +ve, ground, and audio. The SP III had no buzzing sound.

So I rewired the 2720 to get power directly from the battery and the buzz went away immediately.

The audio is passable but not as good as with the SP III. As with the SP III, I can avoid start of speech clipping by turning on the "announcement" option. But I get a fair bit of clipping at the end of a speech string. For example, it will usually miss the "street" or "road" at the end of an address. There is also a high level of background noise whenever it speaks. I tried it both with and without an audio ground and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If anyone has good quality voice with a 2720, please let me know. The audio is great when used in a car of course.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:21 pm

Re: Garmin 2720 Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarry
If anyone has good quality voice with a 2720, please let me know. The audio is great when used in a car of course.
I've owned the 2610 and 2720, and now a 2820. All three units had great sonic quality into my headset. Unfortunately, I have a third party intercom so I don't think we can compare our applications apples to apples.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 4:44 pm

Wish I could resolve my SP3 to 2720 upgrade regarding the buzzing sound. I have tried the Radio Shack transformer isolator but that didnt work. Note that I have the BCS-3 comm system.

Any thoughts people???

Later

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarry
I installed a Garmin 2720 on my K1200LT today replacing my older StreetPilot III. Initially, I was getting a buzzing sound whenever I turned the 2720 on, even if the audio connector was unplugged. I had hooked the 2720 power cable up to the same leads that the SP III had used. These were on a harness coming out of the Voice II (or is it III?) providing +ve, ground, and audio. The SP III had no buzzing sound.

So I rewired the 2720 to get power directly from the battery and the buzz went away immediately.

The audio is passable but not as good as with the SP III. As with the SP III, I can avoid start of speech clipping by turning on the "announcement" option. But I get a fair bit of clipping at the end of a speech string. For example, it will usually miss the "street" or "road" at the end of an address. There is also a high level of background noise whenever it speaks. I tried it both with and without an audio ground and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 5:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My upgrade was similar except that I have an Autocom intercom and a 2820. I did go directly from the StreetPilot III to the 2820 without any unwanted noise. Power is direct from the battery and I used the filter that came with the Autocom audio connection.

The filter might make the difference, but I don't know if it will work on BMW's communication system.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in