Mapsource for Mac: I must live in a cave - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Mapsource for Mac: I must live in a cave

I know it couldn't have been more than a few weeks ago, that I was reading a thread with several posts by Mac owners lamenting the fact that to date Garmin has only provided token offerings in the form of anything usable for Mac owners, for example there is Mapinstall for Mac and POI loader for Mac, but that the real meat of the matter, Mapsource, has yet to come forth in a Mac version and there didn't seem to be any motivation on the part of Garmin to do so any time soon. And then today, I am cruising around Garmin's site and land on this, describing Mapsource City Navigator North America NT, and at the botttom of the page "Now for Mac" with what appears to be the whole ball of wax for Macintosh. Is this what Mac users have been waiting for, or am I missing something here? Or am I just late getting to the party?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Re: Mapsource for Mac: I must live in a cave

Garmin has made it possible to update the maps on Garmin GPS units using a Mac. Also, using the Garmin Webupdater program (which you can download from the Garmin support website), you can update your Garmin unit software using a Mac. MapSource will not run in the Mac OSX operating system. I'm sure you know that Windozes can be installed on a Mac with an intel processor if you are so inclined.

Garmin currently has a beta software called "Bobcat" for the Mac. It looks like it is going to provide the same functionality as MapSource someday. In its current state, it looks promising but is severely limited in functionality. You can download Bobcat here

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jim,

Well, that's what I thought too, because I remember you being in on that thread I was talking about before, but when you just take a quick glance at Garmin's page, it looks as if you might be getting the whole kit and kaboodle...guess not. Thanks for chiming in.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 9:09 pm

You are absolutely correct, Al. Mapsource is now available for Macs as well as Windows machines. $120.00 from GPSCity.ca in Canada. While I am a Mac user, I'm not prepared to spend the money at this time.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:18 pm

Just went thru this yesterday --

- Yes there is MAC CITY NAVIGATOR
- BUT -- you need to download GARMIN "BOBCAT" to use it
- Essentially there is no MAPSOURCE for MAC - just BOBCAT
- I like it much better, its cleaner and more flexible
Hope this helps - BTSOOM
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSOOM
Just went thru this yesterday --

- Yes there is MAC CITY NAVIGATOR
- BUT -- you need to download GARMIN "BOBCAT" to use it
- Essentially there is no MAPSOURCE for MAC - just BOBCAT
- I like it much better, its cleaner and more flexible
Hope this helps - BTSOOM
FWIW....A new beta version of BOBCAT has recently been released. It is v2.0.0.3. Hopefully it provides much of the functionality that was missing in the previous version. I just downloaded it but have not tried it yet. I am happy to see Garmin making a sincere effort to make it a worthwhile application. Here is a link to the download:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3886

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:50 pm
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong I like Garmin and have been with them for quite sometime however - Bobcat - tried it and expected better from Garmin.

This interface must have been written by a Windoze person or who ever ported it over to Mapsource interface was running on a small budget and lacked imagination and knowledge of current day operating platforms, interfaces and user expectations. This app looks like an XP application running on a MAC - klutzy, graphically challenged and un-inspired.

Can you tell I am disappointed. Lets see:

Garmin does not own satellites - the US government does - all 24 of them!!
Garmin does not do maps - Navteq does (http://www.navteq.com/)
Garmin does electronics: Hardware and operator interfaces
Garmin does off device mapping software: Mapsource and Bobcat - to name a few

Looks like they spend all there time doing hardware with little investment in computer based mapping systems for the PC crowd - Windoze or Macs. I would say that less than 5% of the Nuvi buyers even knows, cares or needs maps off the device.

And I am afraid Google and Mapquest will be making Garmin mapping programs looks silly in the future . . . guess I am map envious when route planning and operating all the new software out there today and would expect more from this so called "leader" of GPS systems - just what are they doing with their off the chart profits!! http://dailybriefing.blogs.fortune.c...off-the-chart/ Not going into software . . . as far as I can tell.

Okay rant off!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in