Just ordered Zumo 550 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Just ordered Zumo 550

Just ordered a Zumo from cameraaddict.com, total price was $492 including UPS ground shipping.

Not sure what is up with the difference in pricing with these units. Circuit City sells it for $999. They are all over the internet for under $600.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Re: Just ordered Zumo 550

That is an incredible price for the 550!! Keep us posted as to how the transaction went.
post #3 of 36 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 7:53 am
Gold Supporter

That is a better price than I have seen for refurbished, so let us know how it goes. I would be a little worried, but it might be legit.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Well, just did some research on the company, probably should have done this before ordering. Seems they have the low prices, then want you to call to confirm order, then try to hard sell for accessories. Many have had problems with them. I am a little worried now. I did get an email from them saying that to expidite the ordering process, I should call. I tried calling, they are closed today, but open tomorrow. I will call tommorrow and keep everyone informed on how this goes. If they try to give me the run around, I will cancel the order, if not, I just may get a Zumo at a great price.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #5 of 36 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:35 am

I've had this happen to me, if they can't switch you on thier call, they never fill your order, ever.

Hope it's different in your case!

larry
post #6 of 36 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Well ... I couldn't resist the price, AND I'm not afraid of a little fight on the phone , so here goes nothin'!

If I don't get it for the advertised $492, you can bet I'll be on the phone with Garmin first thing Monday morning!!!
post #7 of 36 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Well ... I couldn't resist the price, AND I'm not afraid of a little fight on the phone , so here goes nothin'!

If I don't get it for the advertised $492, you can bet I'll be on the phone with Garmin first thing Monday morning!!!
You just bought a 2820! Are you going to run 2 GPS on the bike? I bought the Zumo too.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #8 of 36 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 4:39 pm
Gold Supporter

I am anxious to see how this goes for both of you, cause that is a great price.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #9 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Well well well, just spoke with Camera addict. First he tells me this has the 2007 street maps, they can upgrade to 2008 for only $99. I tell him no, I am all set. He asks a couple more times, I say no. He then says the $492 price is for the Canadian model, the US model is $749. I tell him no thank you, cancel the order. So it appears that all the reviews I read researching the company are correct. Oh well, guess I'll pay the $650 or so that amazon and other reputable companies have it for. They never charged my credit card, so there should not be a problem. As they say, buyer beware.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #10 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Question Re: Just ordered Zumo 550

I wonder what the difference is between the Canadian and the US model... Just the map?
The power is the same, and so should be the language...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:37 am Thread Starter

My understanding of this company is that they have the super low proces on the web site, then you get an email saying to call them to process your order. They then try to sell you all kinds of accessories, and if that doesn't work they pull the "that is the canadian, japanese, german, martian, etc version, the U.S. version costs this much more", and if you say no to all, that you just want what you ordered on the web site, it suddenly becomes backordered for however long it takes you to cancel the order.

I suggest no one deal with this company. Not worth the effort.

My wife has a saying "people suck" she's right.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #12 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:53 am

Is the Canadian version the same as US? From what I read it comes with the North American software.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #13 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Well, I'm about to call them in a few minutes. I might just have to take them up on their offer for the "Canadian version" and call their bluff. This might be more fun than I originally thought. We'll see. Or, I might just end up canceling my order in the end. But whatever the outcome, I think a bunch of us should be calling Garmin about these shysters!
post #14 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

I wound up calling Abe's of Maine and ordered from them. Did some research on them, they have decent reviews. Tried really hard to get me to buy the exteneded warantee, but other than that, not bad.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #15 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 1:52 pm

Just spoke with a sales rep...
He gave me a choice between the "2005 software for $99, and the 2008 software for $199". I told him that I didn't need software, and he said "I guess you're all set then". Then he hung up on me. Now, I called back and I'm on hold . . . . . . . . . and still on hold . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . on hold still . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and still on hold . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm not going to get a Zumo 550 for $492.
post #16 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Exclamation Update

Hey! They talked to me again. "It's going out Monday."

I'll update ya'll when it gets here. (IF it gets here.)
post #17 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Re: Update

Quote:
Hey! They talked to me again. "It's going out Monday."

I'll update ya'll when it gets here. (IF it gets here.)

So they didn't mention the "oh, that is the Canadian model"?

Also, don't be surprised if it is suddenly "backordered" Now I'm interested to see how this works out for you.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #18 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
So they didn't mention the "oh, that is the Canadian model"?
No. No mention of a "Canadian model". Just the version of software. Whatever... The only reason I'm continuing with this whole thing is that I'm protected by Visa. I'll keep you up-to-date.
post #19 of 36 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Quote:
No. No mention of a "Canadian model". Just the version of software. Whatever... The only reason I'm continuing with this whole thing is that I'm protected by Visa. I'll keep you up-to-date.
Go, Joe, Go!! 8-))

This should be fun. If yours comes in I'll be right behind you. Visa and Discover both will cover your behind.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #20 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2008, 5:58 am

Exclamation New email this morning...

"Your credit card had has not been charged due to the fact that the product you ordered is currently on back-order. When the product arrives we will e-mail you and then process your order."

Big Shock!
post #21 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2008, 8:53 am

Re: New email this morning...

Quote:
"Your credit card had has not been charged due to the fact that the product you ordered is currently on back-order. When the product arrives we will e-mail you and then process your order."

Big Shock!
And didn't they tell you it will go out on Monday?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #22 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2008, 6:56 pm
Super Moderator

Ok Joe - I will bet a Guinness - payable at CCR (if you attend) that you will "not" receive the GPS at the price that was advertised.

These people know exactly what they are doing however they have no idea who they are dealing with.

I totally agree with you that Garmin should be alerted that someone is selling their product with "total mis-representation" and fraudlent business practices - Canadian version - yea right - I don't think so!!

I would bet that as agressive and good natured that Garmin is they may even reward reporters . . . you never know!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #23 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you hang long enough you'll get the 550 for $492. Like right around the time the replacement for the 550 comes out.

Mark
'07 RT
post #24 of 36 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Here is a copy of an email I sent to Camera Addict, no idea if I will hear back from them or not.

I had read reviews of your company online, and despite my better judgement, decided to order a Garmin Zumo from you anyway. Your price was $492 (this week it is $577), so I placed my order. And just like all the reviews said, I got the email, "call us to confirm your order". And just like the reviews said, I got the "oh that price is for the Canadian model, the US model costs more" from your sales rep. Quite the bait and switch scam you are running.

I am an honest person, and expect others to be the same. Your company however is far from honest. No where on your website did it mention the model I was ordering was the "Canadian model", which by the way according to Garmin does not exist. There is a North American model, which includes Canada and The United States. Your company is just plain dishonest.

I do not expect anything from you in response to this email. I just wanted to share my disappointment with your company. Also know that all the groups I am involved with know about my experience with your company as well as the better business bureau and Garmin.

Have a great day, and try to think a little more about your fellow Americans in this time of economic hardship,

Anthony Gagnon

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #25 of 36 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Ok Joe - I will bet a Guinness - payable at CCR (if you attend) that you will "not" receive the GPS at the price that was advertised.

These people know exactly what they are doing however they have no idea who they are dealing with.

I totally agree with you that Garmin should be alerted that someone is selling their product with "total mis-representation" and fraudlent business practices - Canadian version - yea right - I don't think so!!

I would bet that as agressive and good natured that Garmin is they may even reward reporters . . . you never know!
Unfortunately Dan, you're right on the money. Darn it! Now, not only am I not getting a Zumo 550 ... but no Guinness either. Ouch!!!

I gave them ample time to full the order. Now it's time to contact Garmin. This vendor totally sucks!!!
post #26 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Try Get feet wet. Seem to have a good business model. My experience was very good with them.

Also, there is a Zumo user groupWWW.Zumoforums.com that is worth a look.
post #27 of 36 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 3:01 pm

+1 on zumoforums.com

Great group and lots of good info on these units.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #28 of 36 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 7:18 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
My understanding of this company is that they have the super low proces on the web site, then you get an email saying to call them to process your order. They then try to sell you all kinds of accessories, and if that doesn't work they pull the "that is the canadian, japanese, german, martian, etc version, the U.S. version costs this much more", and if you say no to all, that you just want what you ordered on the web site, it suddenly becomes backordered for however long it takes you to cancel the order.
I would be willing to bet the sales person gets a commission on the upgrades & accessories. When you say no to everything, they get pissed & put your order on backorder.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #29 of 36 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:36 am
Gold Supporter

I found a site that guarantees to match any advertised price. I sent them the info from cameraaddict and got an auto reply stating I would have a response in 24 to 48 hours on their matching the price. I will let you know what they say. Wish I would have been quicker at sent them the $492 price, but if they will sell it for $577 I'll be a happy boy. My only question is how they go about confirming the legitimacy of the price themselves. Probably the same way you guys did.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #30 of 36 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Man they had to really stretch to find a way out of this one. This was the response I received:

Dear Jerry England,

Thank you for your interest in TigerGPS.com!

Unfortunately, we are unable to perform a price match because the competitor's store does not state that the manufacturers warranty is included. At Tiger GPS all of our products are backed by the full manufacturers warranty as well as our own 60 day return policy. You are more then welcome to submit another Price Match with a competitor who states the manufacturers warranty is included.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

TigerGPS.com Customer Service
www.tigergps.com
[email protected]
(866) 798-4437

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #31 of 36 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Unfortunately, we are unable to perform a price match because the competitor's store does not state that the manufacturers warranty is included. At Tiger GPS all of our products are backed by the full manufacturers warranty as well as our own 60 day return policy. You are more then welcome to submit another Price Match with a competitor who states the manufacturers warranty is included.
Wouldn't you get the manufactures warranty when you registered the product with the manufacture. I have never heard of a lower price on a product if the seller doesn't offer or you don't want the factory warranty.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #32 of 36 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 8:39 am
Gold Supporter

Like I said...they had to stretch.

I sent them a reply asking the very question you are and will see what they say.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #33 of 36 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Just ordered Zumo 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
Wouldn't you get the manufactures warranty when you registered the product with the manufacture. I have never heard of a lower price on a product if the seller doesn't offer or you don't want the factory warranty.
I just received my Zumo 550 in Canada from a company in NJ called Irwincomp.com (Irwin Computers). The price was $637.00 US. In Canada the cheapest I could find was $789.00. It has the full warranty. The thing you have to watch, so I'm told, is that if you buy in Canada you get XM Canada and the US gets XM US.

Cheers, Bill
05 K1200LT
post #34 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 1:34 pm

If you're wanting your Zumo 550 now, buy it at Circuit for $999, and then take the cheaper price advertised for them to match plus 10% of the difference. This is what I did. I called before just to make sure!

Ken
post #35 of 36 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Does Circuit city honor online prices or just the local brick and mortar shops?

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #36 of 36 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 6:09 am

Exclamation Re: Just ordered Zumo 550

Best Buy will honor on line prices, I've done it twice with Sirius Radio parts.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in