Problems with Zumo? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Problems with Zumo?

I have heard of problems with Zumos suddenly quitting working. Was this with early production and has the reliability improved, assuming there were in fact problems?

I am considering purchase of a new GPS to use on the K LT primarily and the ZUMO seems like a good choice if there are no reliability issues. I would also appreciate suggestions re: other brands and models. TIA.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Re: Problems with Zumo?

I bought my Zumo Dec 06 and it worked great until Apr then just died. Happened the morning I was leaving for a road trip to the race at Talladega then on to ride the Dragon. Bad timing to say the least. I called Garmin from the Hotel in Birmingham and they had a replacement FedExed to my buddies place in Knoxville by the time I got there. So far the replacement has worked flawlessly and I am completely pleased with it. Can't say enough about how great the customer service was from Garmin. I have not read anything about this being a glitch that is now fixed but I have not been to the Zumo forum lately. Might want to go here and read up.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?board=2.0
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks much for sharing your experience. I will visit the ZUMO forum. Didn't know about it. Two more quick questions if I may. Can I hard wire the ZUMO just like the SP111 is hard wired; and can I 'plug' the ZUMO into my J & M communications system in the same manner?

Ride safe!

Ben

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Hi Jim;
Regarding your two questions - you most certainly can hard wire your Zumo to your bike's electrical system. You can wire it directly to your battery so that it is on all the time. Or, you can find a switched circuit (I found a fuse on a switched circuit) to connect the "hot" wire too and then connect the ground wire to the closest ground location on your bike.
The Zumo cradle has a "headphone" out jack that you should be able to connect to your J&M system. I'm not familiar with your communication system but I don't see any reason that you cannot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in