BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Cell Phone-Zumo-XMRadio-Bluetooth

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kellenbenz 
#1 ·
Question: How Practical is cell phone communication while riding? Is it more of a pain in the ass than what its worth?

Question: What is the best method for A. talking on cell phone, and B. Listening to music while riding? Would it be a Bluetooth headset? Do they have good musical sound?

Question: If I have a zumo 550, and get the XM antenna thing for it, does the Zumo in effect become my XM radio, or do I need something else?

In a perfect world, I would be riding my RT on some winding mountainous road while enjoying the lucid sounds of Beethoven’s 9th (or Alice and Chains.) The phone would ring, and I would seamlessly switch over to it and tell my stock broker to sell all of my Boeing Stock (or more than likely tell the wife I will bring home milk for the baby.) Then maybe I would switch to the ipod, or get crazy and listen to comedy on the Xm radio.

However….What I seem to be finding is this:
A. The stock stereo for the RT is junk, and forget about it.
B. Helmet speakers such as J&M’s suck for audio quality.
C. Bluetooth devices become disconnected, and have poor audio.
D. Ear buds are the best, but really don’t facilitate a mic for a phone conversation.

I would really like to hear what you are using, and how well it works. I would hate to spend a ton of money on some mediocre stuff that doesn’t work only to find out that an Ipod and earbuds are the only real practical way to go.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Zumo 550 w/xm mounted on the 06 r1200RT.
I hear the GPS gal through the helment speaker routed through the Autocom system that was on the bike when I bought it. Also hear XM fine. Yesterday I ordered a bluetooth enabled cell phone to replace my, at least, 4 year old phone. The Zumo manual lists the cell phones that work with blue tooth. I ordered the Razr v3. It is old technology but listed in the Zumo manual. Also cheap--Zero after $50 rebate. I should have it up and running in the next few days. I'll keep you informed.

#3 ·
I recently got a Zumo 550 to mount on my LT. I wanted to make use of the BT functions for phone and music. I also wanted to make use of BT headsets on the helmets to eliminate the need of a wired com system.

After a lot of research I decided to get the Camos BHS-600 headsets as they seemed to have all the features I wanted. If you don't ride with a passenger you would probably only need the BHS-500, no intercom function.

So far this set up is working great, my only problem so far is some wind noise while using the intercom.

Since the Camos headsets are stereo capable and the BT out of the Zumo isn't I got a couple of the wRievo BT dongles and hooked them to the audio out from the Zumo. The way it works now is just the way you describe wanting it to. Listening to music, MP3 or XM, a call comes in, music stops and I can answer the phone and talk. When the call is ended Music comes back. If you set your phone to auto answer your hands never leave the bars.

Sound quality is very good, phone works to at least 70MPH and I haven't had any disconnect problems so far. I'll be taking a week long trip beginning next Monday and really get to test it out.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Retread said:
I recently got a Zumo 550 to mount on my LT. I wanted to make use of the BT functions for phone and music. I also wanted to make use of BT headsets on the helmets to eliminate the need of a wired com system.

After a lot of research I decided to get the Camos BHS-600 headsets as they seemed to have all the features I wanted. If you don't ride with a passenger you would probably only need the BHS-500, no intercom function.

So far this set up is working great, my only problem so far is some wind noise while using the intercom.

Since the Camos headsets are stereo capable and the BT out of the Zumo isn't I got a couple of the wRievo BT dongles and hooked them to the audio out from the Zumo. The way it works now is just the way you describe wanting it to. Listening to music, MP3 or XM, a call comes in, music stops and I can answer the phone and talk. When the call is ended Music comes back. If you set your phone to auto answer your hands never leave the bars.

Sound quality is very good, phone works to at least 70MPH and I haven't had any disconnect problems so far. I'll be taking a week long trip beginning next Monday and really get to test it out.

Hope this helps.
It does!! thank you!

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.