GPS Unlock Code - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

GPS Unlock Code

I understand that this code allows downloads to be done free. Is it a big deal to get this code or is the unit rendered useless down the road?

Thanx for you input...

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Re: GPS Unlock Code

You can download the software from Garmin, but can't use the maps until they are unlocked. You won't be able to tranfer the maps from you computer to your GPS.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
You can download the software from Garmin, but can't use the maps until they are unlocked. You won't be able to tranfer the maps from you computer to your GPS.
So the unit is useless...

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Depends on your definition of usless. If its already loaded with what you need you could just navigate from the unit. But...
If you are buying/bought it used I'd demand the software license and registration transfer from the seller. (or a $150 discount to apply to the purchase of it from Garmin).

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Some of the Garmin units are bundled with software and the codes that enable the software. Some of the units will not function without the extra software purchase even as a new purchase. I don't believe that this was one of those units. It came with software and the applicable keys. If the unit does not have the original software it is worth less than one with the originally bundled software. This is the Garmin package for the 2720

The software usually had the ability to associate two GPS units to the main software title but I believe they are selling the software licencing with only one GPS unit association now.

If the unit is functional and has the US maps loaded it will work but you will not be able to update the unit with new maps to bring you current without the original software licence keys.

So the GPS may work just fine but the 'deal' may not be as good as you think it is.. I would not pay for the GPS until I understood what the costs were to buy a licence so you can make it current.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Feb 25th, 2008 at 7:09 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies... I believe I have heard enough to convince me that I should not complete this purchase as I did not know I would need to spend another $150 to get it up to date. Of course the seller will squak but he never answered my email, as mentioned, until after the bidding ended...

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 7:31 pm

I don't know what you won the bid at but the software is about $150.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Basically, Garmin is more or less taking the position somewhat similiar to the music business, in that they are not willing to let you get something for nothing (in their eyes). They feel that the real power behind their products is the ability to download detailed map data and to perform route planning, waypoint management, etc. on your computer and then transfer all that good stuff to your GPS. And you can do none of that without an unlock code, which they have really tightened the loop up on in the last few years, to the point where anyone beyond the original owner with rare exceptions now has to shell out for it.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Just ridin'

Depending on the unit you can update it with the 2008 mapping data for around $60. The list price for the update is $75. If the unit is a StreetPilot 27XX or 28XX you can buy the new maps for $60 from online retailers such as www.tvnav.com. There are also other models this update will work with but you have to be upgrading from another NT (Navigator V6, V7 or V8 NT). Units like the StreetPilot 26XX do not use the NT software and for those an update is available, but only directly from Garmin for $75. The older mapping data (through V7) sold for $150 but you could unlock up to 2 units for each package.

If the unit is a 2620, 27XX or 28XX you do not need unlock codes to use the unit as the maps are all installed on a hard drive or flash memory in the unit. If you want to use the Mapsource mapping program on your computer you will need an unlock code, but it need not be tied to the specific GPS unit you are using. Garmin will come up with a code to get the software unlocked on your computer as a courtesy. You can also use anyone else's code to unlock the computer as it is not tied to a unit's serial number. Once unlocked on a computer you can create routes and way points and transfer them to any unlocked GPS unit.

New mapping data is not available by download, you must get it on CD or DVD from Garmin. Mapsource program updates, unit firmware and USB drivers are available by download.

Garmin will usually provide you with the latest unlock code that was linked to the unit, though you may need to provide them with the prior owner's name.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in