mount bmw zumo to lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

mount bmw zumo to lt

got the zumo new half off but the dealer is gone and i need to mount the unit what parts do i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:13 am

Re: mount bmw zumo to lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmariog
got the zumo new half off but the dealer is gone and i need to mount the unit what parts do i need?
Well, I purchased a "RAM reservior cap with side ball" from Mounting Innovations in Austin, TX ($16 and they have a web site) and mounted it on top of the clutch reservoir (ball to the right). It comes complete with new bolts and small standoffs to complete the job.

Then used the short arm and rest of the cycle mount. (Actually, I purchased another set of these parts because I used the parts that originally came with the zumo to mount it to my other bike.) I fed the power wire under the left handlebar covers and then under the left side of the radio stingray down to the battery area under the driver seat. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it. (I am currently between LT's).

Personally, I like the location off to my left. It is where I have it on my other bike and my SO gets to read it when she is riding with me. I can slightly tilt my head to se the LT computer readout. It installs quick and no alterations to the bike if I want to remove it all later.

Other's here have done much more fancy (and very nice) installs and I am sure they will have some very good comments. Many folks mount it on top of the stingray or on top of an accessory shelf.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:07 pm

Check out this thread which describes multiple Zumo mounting solutions for the LT http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23056

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:22 am Thread Starter

I got the bmw zumo it comes with a power cable but do i still need to run 3.5 cable to aux i do not have the intercom?
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:19 am

The 3.5 jack is audio output such as voice prompts, phone, MP3 stereo and optional XM (the latter not applicable to the BMW branded Zumo). If you don't have an intercom you can connect to your Aux input on your onboard stereo (if so equipped, my '99 does not have that feature) and hear the audio through your bike speakers. You could also use helmet speakers or in-the-ear speakers. Note that this will not allow you to speak on the phone. You would need to connect a microphone to the small jack on the Zumo mount to get hardwired mike input.

In the alternative you could use the Bluetooth connection (not for XM) but the audio will be mono. Not the best for listening to music. There are several alternatives for Bluetooth, including the Scala headset designed for motorcyclists.

Check out the following website for all things Zumo. Loads on information on installation, audio, phones, etc. www.zumoforums.com.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:25 pm

I mounted my Zumo using the RAM reservoir cap on the clutch side. Pretty slick install.

I have Camos BHS 600 headsets on order. They supprt Bluetooth 2.0 and you can stream stereo to them. The Zumo won't support this, as pointed out above. To get around this I ran an cable from the audio out on the Zumo mount into the oddments box and I'll plug 2 wRievo BT dongles in to stream the BT Stereo to both rider and passenger.

Should work slick. I hope. We'll see next week when the headsets get here.

Here's some pics of the Zumo Mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo_1.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	16805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo_2.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	16806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo_3.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	16807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo_4.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	16808  

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in