2730 Losing Its Mind? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

2730 Losing Its Mind?

My 2730 will intermittently start clicking and, if it's in Map mode, the screen will flash and jump to the highest enlargement position. In XM mode, the stations will begin switching randomly. There is no common temperature or humidity condition ... hot, cold, wet, dry doesn't seem to matter. It does this in my car and on the LT. This doesn't happen every time, and there's no way to predict it. When this happens in Map mode, I can switch to XM and the station remains locked in. The only remedy I've found is to shut it down, then restart it again. The unit otherwise operates for long periods of time with no problem.

Have you had any similar experiences or what can be done about it?

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 7:55 pm

Re: 2730 Losing Its Mind?

Strange.............I have a reconditioned 2730, roughly a year old never had an issue, so far.

Larry
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 7:56 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
My 2730 will intermittently start clicking and, if it's in Map mode, the screen will flash and jump to the highest enlargement position. In XM mode, the stations will begin switching randomly. There is no common temperature or humidity condition ... hot, cold, wet, dry doesn't seem to matter. It does this in my car and on the LT. This doesn't happen every time, and there's no way to predict it. When this happens in Map mode, I can switch to XM and the station remains locked in. The only remedy I've found is to shut it down, then restart it again. The unit otherwise operates for long periods of time with no problem.

Have you had any similar experiences or what can be done about it?
Probably an intermittently bad touch screen. The only option is to return it to Garmin for repair. They have been known to replace them under warranty - even beyond the standard warranty.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 8:12 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Probably an intermittently bad touch screen. The only option is to return it to Garmin for repair. They have been known to replace them under warranty - even beyond the standard warranty.
I had exactly the same behavior, some days it was good some day it was bad, as if the wind was actuating the touch screen, or the vibration or who knows. But Randy is right, call Garmin and try to get it replaced in warranty. there is nothing else you can do.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:28 pm

Garage

I was having some probs with my 2610 and I think it was the infared sensor ( for the remote) I turned it off never had any probs since dont need it on the Lt anyway, maybe you could try that??

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: 2730 Losing Its Mind?

I just spoke to the Garmin factory service rep. For $225 minimum they'll look at it. Thanks but no thanks. Don't know who you got at Garmin to fix it for free, but my lady was no help at all without my checkbook. I'm going to live with the problem.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Clean your screen - My 2730 did that a couple of times - When I carefully cleaned the screen - it stopped. Maybe touching it (cleaning) on the entire screen helped.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in