Here's my plan to get my GPS back if it's ever stolen. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Cool Here's my plan to get my GPS back if it's ever stolen.

So I adhere to the belief that if a jerk wants to take something, he's going to take it. Not much you can do about it. I also believe that most jerks that steal, steal to sell what they have stolen. They don't keep the stuff, they just want to "off it" and make a few bucks to support their drinking or drug addiction.

With that in mind, I've devised a plan to get my Garmin 2820 back if this were to happen.

Here's the way I see it going down:
  • The junkie rips my GPS off my bike when I'm inside a gas station buying a Gatorade and some Beef Jerky. Yea it sucks ... but life goes on.
  • The junkie then sells the GPS for $20 to an opportunistic stranger on the street.
  • The new owner of my GPS then goes home and gets online to shop for a power cord for their new GPS.
  • The power cord arrives and all is good. He or she gets into their car, plugs in the GPS and they fire it up. Oh they are so excited! ... and this is what they see:

And they get the privilege of seeing that Splash Screen each and every time they fire up MY GPS. (At least until they figure out how to change it.) If they are a good Samaritan, I'll eventually get my GPS back. If they are not, at least I get the satisfaction knowing that I tried. And sometimes, that's all you can do. Maybe it would work ... maybe it wouldn't. But at least I tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Re: Here's my plan to get my GPS back if it's ever stolen.

Hi, Joe.

Ok, I love it. But how do you change the splash screen? Must be some kind of super-whammydyne-magic thangy. Anything like Dick and thong thang?

Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #3 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Hi, Joe.

Ok, I love it. But how do you change the splash screen? Must be some kind of super-whammydyne-magic thangy. Anything like Dick and thong thang?

Karl
Man, don'tchew ole Geezers get a lapse of memory now and then?????? Sheeeesh!! You need to go read the site FAQs where it sez henceforth, it's verboten to use that th..g word!!

Hi, Karl!!!

post #4 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:48 pm

That's a pretty neat idea. How did you do that and can it be done on a 2610? I know I can dump a screen, but I don't know if I can upload one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:55 pm

I don't know Joe, but you have been in a pretty good mood for the past couple of weeks (lol). How many snow days have you been off?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

HowTo use xImage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Ok, I love it. But how do you change the splash screen?
Simple. Garmin has a program called "xImage". Download and install it. Then you can upload a new splash screen, or capture screen shots FROM your GPS. Cool.

To see if your model supports xImage, click on this link, then select your model. xImage will be in the "Additional Software" listing. If it's there, download and install it.

Note: THE VERY FIRST THING YOU WANT TO DO the first time you run xImage is to download the OEM Splash Screen and archive it for when you want to return the GPS back to it's original Splash Screen. Make sense?

Note II: When uploading a new (or edited) Splash Screen, the file needs to be named "Splash Screen.bmp". You'll also want to make of note of the original splash screen's size. I believe they are all Bitmap (.bmp) files, but you'll want to make sure of file-type as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
How did you do that and can it be done on a 2610? I know I can dump a screen, but I don't know if I can upload one.
See above. Yes, your 2610 can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I don't know Joe, but you have been in a pretty good mood for the past couple of weeks (lol). How many snow days have you been off?
Today is a "Conference Break Day" or some such thingy. I don't care what they call it. Just so I get eggs & bacon for breakfast with my wife . . . at home!
post #7 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Re: HowTo use xImage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Simple. Garmin has a program called "xImage". Download and install it. Then you can upload a new splash screen, or capture screen shots FROM your GPS....
Good find Joe, but...
Not available for (native) Mac...foiled again!! C'mon Garmin, hurry up!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #8 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Talking Joe being an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Good find Joe, but...
Not available for (native) Mac...foiled again!! C'mon Garmin, hurry up!!
Geez, that's hard to believe. I figured MACs were so good at video that all one would have to do is just set their GPS next to the MAC, and the magic would just happen. You mean to tell me that the MACs require software to accomplish this? Who'da thunk?

Oh I just love stirring the "MAC vs. PC" pot, now don't I? Pay no never mind. I really don't give a rip what someone's typing on. Really.
post #9 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Re: Joe being an idiot!

Quote:
Oh I just love stirring the "MAC vs. PC" pot, now don't I? Pay no never mind. I really don't give a rip what someone's typing on. Really.
Stir away...Garmin has us to the point where we are only lacking a couple of features the PC throng takes for granted. They have been moving much faster to support Apple then I ever expected! Maybe they know something you don't!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #10 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Hey Joe, tell them about Monday? Presidents day! Do you have it off also?

I Do!!! Man I love this Government job!!!

Glen
post #11 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up You know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Hey Joe, tell them about Monday? Presidents day! Do you have it off also?
Oh yea . . . I almost forgot.

And everyone thought I was going to need some time to get acclimated to a real job's work schedule. What a hoot!
post #12 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:48 pm

I'm sure if I tried it I would not get the GPS back; instead the thief would probably take my email address and sell it to a spammer.

Your idea reminds me of a friend's approach. He had one of the very early home gun safes. It was a "horizontal" safe, much like a large footlocker. His house was burglarized; the thieves carried the safe into the woods (it was full of guns and lots of ammo so they probably hurt themselves. By the look of it, they spent a while beating on the safe, to no avail. He got all of his stuff back.

Later on he taped an envelope to the side of his safe with a $20 bill and a note to the burglar telling them not to bother trying to open or remove the safe (this one was bolted to the floor). They are looking for easy money anyway, so give them a bone and send them on their way.
post #13 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Garage

I think it's pretty naive to think the new 'owner' will actually contact you.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #14 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
I think it's pretty naive to think the new 'owner' will actually contact you.
Just like the finder of my wallet that sent it back. (It fell off my bike. I got it back about 6 months later.) Hard to believe I know ... but there are good people out there.

Besides, I'll take naivety over cynicism any day.
post #15 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
I'll take naivety over cynicism any day.
Yes!

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #16 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:54 pm

Garage

Are Ohio Schools ever going to open again!

Friggin ice storm has lead to endless threads about his GPS!

Joe, find something else to do with your time than play with this new toy!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #17 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Just like the finder of my wallet that sent it back. (It fell off my bike. I got it back about 6 months later.) Hard to believe I know ... but there are good people out there.

Joe-
Similar experience....wallet missing-noticed on ride home by instinctively patting my pocket re-traced the ride (to no avail) head home phone rings : Dublin Oh PD save the day ...collect all the spread out cards and such...soooo
cool- I bought the PD dept. a few pizzas from Rotellos those that know..............CRAVE!!!!!
post #18 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Friggin ice storm has lead to endless threads about his GPS!
This is the LAST ONE, I promise!

But it's gotta be better than another oil or tire thread.
post #19 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Quote:
This is the LAST ONE, I promise!

But it's gotta be better than another oil or tire thread.
+1 But its making me think about buying a GPS

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #20 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Quote:

Many years ago, I was on a business trip to Munich, Germany. I got a call around 2:00 in the morning from my wife in South Carolina, who was frantic. A lady had called from Germany saying she had found my wallet in a taxi, so called the number in it. (I had not missed it yet) She left the contact number with my wife, who gave it to me, then I called early the next morning and met her at her hotel to get the wallet back, just before she was headed to the airport to go back home to Sweden. She said she did not trust the taxi driver to try and get it to me, so took it on herself to spend the time. She would not even let me pay her for the overseas phone call she made! Yes, there are some really honest people in the world.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Here's my plan to get my GPS back if it's ever stolen.

Great story David.

While at the bike show this January, I left my camera in the trunk of the LT at the BMW booth. (long story.) I realized I didn't have my camera upon finishing lunch about an hour later. I ran back to the BMW booth and learned that someone found it in the trunk and gave it to one of the BMW factory reps. They asked me to show them a few pics just to prove it was mine, then gladly let me have it back. Just some more good people.

I wouldn't have been so lucky at the Honda or Yamaha booth!
post #22 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Good use of modern technology.

I'd change the wording on the splash screen to something like "This GPS HAS BEEN STOLEN. It's not yours. Call xxxxx, etc." Much more direct than "if this GPS has been stolen". If someone other than you sees it, by definition... it IS stolen!

A guy who pays even as little as $20 for your GPS will from then on consider it "his", so it hasn't been "stolen". Know what I mean, Vern?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:06 pm.
post #23 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'd change the wording on the splash screen to something like "This GPS HAS BEEN STOLEN. It's not yours. Call xxxxx, etc." Much more direct than "if this GPS has been stolen". If someone other than you sees it, by definition... it IS stolen!

A guy who pays even as little as $20 for your GPS will from then on consider it "his", so it hasn't been "stolen". No what I mean, Vern?
I see your point, and it's a valid one. I guess I'm just using a kindler, gentler machine-gun hand.

I'll give your suggestion some more thought.
post #24 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I see your point, and it's a valid one. I guess I'm just using a kindler, gentler machine-gun hand.

I'll give your suggestion some more thought.
Sir, if I had a diary I'd circle this date with a red pencil.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #25 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Good Idea Joe, I updated mine as well.

It looks much better in person.
And now that I see yours (coupled with Howard's comment), I thinks me needs to go back to the Drawing Board.
post #26 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:48 am

While in Dallas last time, my GPS quit, So Tony loaned me his! Everytime I fired it up a message appeared that this GPS has been STOLEN. It was a little disquiting everytime I fired it up, more because of who might be watching.

Thanks Tony, got us home all on backroads very little interstate travel on the return trip home!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #27 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 6:38 am

Anybody got a Nuvi ?.

Mine says it doesn´t support the software.

Or am I doing something wrong ?.
post #28 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Anybody got a Nuvi ?. Mine says it doesn´t support the software. Or am I doing something wrong ?.
You don't need the ximage software for a Nuvi 360 (not sure about other models). You can change the splash screen to any picture that has been loaded on the Nuvi by going to the tool icon for Settings, then Display. There is an option to change the Splash Screen which allows you to select any of the images you have stored on the Nuvi.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #29 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:49 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I'm sure if I tried it I would not get the GPS back; instead the thief would probably take my email address and sell it to a spammer.
That was my first thought...I wouldn't use my main email address or phone #...Have an email address that is just for reporting stolen items...have the info attached to any item that you would like returned.

A few years ago when on a scuba diving trip, the trip organizer gave everyone small water proof stickers with our name & phone number on it. If I can find the company info that prints those up I will post it.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #30 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
That was my first thought...I wouldn't use my main email address or phone #...
I get absolutely ZERO SPAM to any of my email accounts. ( I have 6 of em!) I use a program called MailWasher Pro that works wonderfully! If SPAM is a problem for you ... check it out.

As for my phone number ... I would love for "the new owner" to call me. Makes tracking the idiot soooo easy!
post #31 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Here's my plan to get my GPS back if it's ever stolen.

Quote:
Sir, if I had a diary I'd circle this date with a red pencil.
OH please!...

So what do you think of the new Splash Screen?

Thanks for the suggestion Howard. I do like it a LOT more. And thanks Mr. Dragon. I took tips from you as well. I have the "I.C.E. Info" in my cell already.
post #32 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think you have a winner. What a great idea, elegantly simple and it makes so much sense.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #33 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you have a winner. What a great idea, elegantly simple and it makes so much sense.
You tryin' to make me blush Howie?

Thanks...
post #34 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 5:33 pm

My wife asked if I was going to put that on mine.
I said heck no! Why would I want them to returned to Joe!

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #35 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
My wife asked if I was going to put that on mine.
I said heck no! Why would I want them to returned to Joe!
I can just see the look on Gretchen's face when you said that! Don't worry. The numbness will reside shortly.
post #36 of 41 Old Aug 24th, 2010, 2:45 am

Quote:
Agreed.

I made a splash screen for my Zumo some 3 years ago using photoshop. It offers a reward for it's return to me and my mobile number is on the screen. If someone with some decency gets hold of it, there is a far better chance it'll be returned to me.
\v/

R1200r
(-\v/-)
post #37 of 41 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 8:34 am

Quote:
OH please!...

So what do you think of the new Splash Screen?

Thanks for the suggestion Howard. I do like it a LOT more. And thanks Mr. Dragon. I took tips from you as well. I have the "I.C.E. Info" in my cell already.
What a great idea, and I would love to see the new spash screen, but the image is gone. Can anyone re-post?
post #38 of 41 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWill
What a great idea, and I would love to see the new spash screen, but the image is gone. Can anyone re-post?
I'll repost sometime later today. Funny, I just sold the unit to another member here so I'm going to have to either edit that pic, or return it to stock. (It's up to the buyer.)
post #39 of 41 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWill
Here ya go...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash Screen.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	29239  
post #40 of 41 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:16 am

If I ever get another GPS (last one was on the LT I traded in for my RT), I'll be coming back to this post! Thanks!

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #41 of 41 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 6:49 am

Re: HowTo use xImage

Quote:
Simple. Garmin has a program called "xImage". Download and install it. Then you can upload a new splash screen, or capture screen shots FROM your GPS. Cool.

To see if your model supports xImage, click on this link, then select your model. xImage will be in the "Additional Software" listing. If it's there, download and install it.

Note: THE VERY FIRST THING YOU WANT TO DO the first time you run xImage is to download the OEM Splash Screen and archive it for when you want to return the GPS back to it's original Splash Screen. Make sense?

Note II: When uploading a new (or edited) Splash Screen, the file needs to be named "Splash Screen.bmp". You'll also want to make of note of the original splash screen's size. I believe they are all Bitmap (.bmp) files, but you'll want to make sure of file-type as well.

See above. Yes, your 2610 can do this.

Today is a "Conference Break Day" or some such thingy. I don't care what they call it. Just so I get eggs & bacon for breakfast with my wife . . . at home!

Gee, Thanks man where did you say he lived?

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in