Condensation or Fogging issue with your Garmin 26xx or 27xx ??? ... READ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:15 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Condensation or Fogging issue with your Garmin 26xx or 27xx ??? ... READ!

I can't believe what I just stumbled upon while combing through Garmin's Customer Support Knowledge Base. This is the first I've ever heard of this. Check this out...

The question was asked: What happens if my StreetPilot 26xx/27xx gets condensation in the screen?

Garmin's answer:

"If you are finding this a problem with your 26/27xx, follow the instructions below:

On the back of the 26/27xx are 4 small breather holes. If your unit does get moisture behind the screen, we would advise you to put the unit in an airing cupboard over night without covering up these breather holes. This is done by pushing the mount forward. When the unit is in a motorcycle mount these holes are covered up. Before you go out on your bike it is advised to move the unit forward in the mount so the breather holes are visible. This should be done for at least 10-15 minutes. This will acclimatize the unit before use, which stops the unit from getting moisture in the screen. When you are not using the GPS unit we would also advise you to not cover these holes. This allows the unit to breath."

Like I said, this is news to me!!! My 2820 has these air holes as well.

Here's the link. Read it for yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:37 am

Garage
Re: Condensation or Fogging issue with your Garmin 26xx or 27xx ??? ... READ!

Old news to me. In most cases the 'condensation' in the screen has nothing to do with moist....

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had a long talk w/ a rep. at Garmin re: this problem.
He aid 'we're working on it".........but.................
try bringing the unit into the house for a few days..........
I did for 2 days and problem went away for a week...........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

yeah, Joe.. there are 4 holes that are "shielded" when the GPS is in the MC mount. I have had zero problems on mine...but that's probably because I'm not smart enough to tell it's clouded.

Anyway, if you are getting this problem, you might try using a hair dryer to speed up the "cycles"... heat/cool/heat... one thing you might do is warm the unit then put in the freezer for a while... then heat again...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Anyway, if you are getting this problem...
Had that issue on my 2610 where it failed entirely, so Garmin replaced it with the 2720. The 2720 never even showed signs of fogging, ever. I was hoping that Garmin had this figured out ... and maybe they do. It seems the 2610s had the worst time with this. Time will tell.
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

ah... glad it's working, Joe!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:27 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Mine fogs but... only on cold days sometimes so bad it hard to see it. It always clears up as the day warms.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:43 am

Cool Re: Condensation or Fogging issue with your Garmin 26xx or 27xx ??? ... READ!

After sending back 2 2720's, Garmin told me this was a common problem. Their advice was to take it indoors overnight. I told them "this is a MOTORCYCLE! and spends it's time on the road!" I told them that if I leave at 4:00 AM and it's not fogged, but begins to fog, I don't have the ability to stop and go inside for an hour or two. I also told them that when I was buying it NEW! I was not told of this common problem and that I would not have bought that model but would have picked another model. I politely told them the unit was 6 months old and I wanted either a refund or different model as they had sold me (through an authorized dealer) a factory defect. They sent me a new 2820 with all accessories, postage paid return UPS for the defective unit. So far the 2820 is perfect. They gave me a 90 warrantee on the new unit. Point is, they knew there was a problem, sold me the problem and then discontinued it. When you buy a discontinued model, you don't have the leverage. By the way, Aerostitch sent me an email yesterday that they have the 2820 on sale as a discontinued model!!!
Don't take no for an answer, when you have a warantee, ask for a supervisor!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:28 pm

When you say they gave you a 2820 with all the accessories does this mean the XM antenna also? I have gone through 3 2610 for the screen fogging and I have asked about exchanging it for another model that doesn't do this and each time they told me thay don't do exchanges. The 2610 that I have now is doing this again when it is out in the sun so I am going to call again and use this as ammunition, maybe they will give me a 2820 to go along with my other 2820 that would be cool!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Sorry about that, no XM antenna. Just what comes in the box

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in