Bluetooth-enabled Garmin 2820 ... 1st Impressions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Cool Bluetooth-enabled Garmin 2820 ... 1st Impressions

I recently bought a barely-used Garmin 2820 on eBay. Before it arrived, I sold my beloved 2720 to forum member 'mwnahas'. Now that I've had it for about a week, I thought I'd share my first impressions.

First let me say that this is my 3rd Garmin unit, so I am very familiar with the screens and menus and such. I find Garmin's way of thinking to be very intuitive. YMMV

Without cracking open the manual, I put the 2820 on the dash of my Equinox and powered it up. It took very little time to connect my Bluetooth phone to the 2820. Very pain-free. Then again, I'm a geek. I then tried to make my first call. Oops! The 2820 told me that I need to connect the microphone up to the unit before I can do this. Well, DuH! So I comb thru the box, and there she is. I clip the mic onto the sun-visor, route the cable and plug it into the side of the 2820. Now I'm ready! My first Bluetooth call. Using the phone menu, the 2820 loads my cell's phone book quickly. I scroll down to my wife's cellphone entry and select it, then press 'Dial'. I hear the DTMF tones from the speaker of the 2820's charger, and then a ring. My wife answers and a whole new experience has begun. After a few minutes I asked my wife, "How do I sound?". She said, "Fine. Why?". When I told her that this was a hands-free Bluetooth call, she assured me that it sounded just as good, if not better than a regular cell call. Obviously, I was very pleased to hear that.

Receiving calls are even easier. It's great to see the call coming in on the GPS' screen. This is going to be a WONDERFUL feature on the GT. And I can choose to answer or ignore the call with just a press of a button on the 2820's screen. Way cool!

So by now you can probably tell that I'm pretty impressed with my new toy. I don't know if I'll even use the mp3 player, or the XM features of the 2820 ... we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Awesome. I have the drool bucket hooked up and anxiously awaiting a real ride report with battery longevity.

Linky?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Red face My bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Awesome. I have the drool bucket hooked up and anxiously awaiting a real ride report with battery longevity.

Linky?
Sounds like I may have led you astray Grif. The only Bluetooth connection that I'm utilizing is the one from the phone to the GPS. The cellphone, GPS, and intercom will still be powered from the bike. And, I will still be using my old intercom w/ wired helmets.

I'm pretty sure that I've decided to put off going totally Bluetooth until next year when the prices come down. Besides, the technology will only get better and better as well.

Sorry for the false alarm.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 11:17 am

Thumbs up Tag, your it!

Joey Bluetooth, I've got you one upped. I got the 2820, replacing the 2720 for free under warantee from Garmin (three strikes and they ponied up on a fogged screen). I then connected the 2820 to my Starcom1 Digital intercom, activated the Bluetooth to my Motorola SLVR, that I put in the trunk and went for a ride. At about 45 MPH, I called home from the GPS (touched phone, call home, dial) and had a clear call that sounded totally normal. The 2820 is super!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Good deal Craig!

I called my wife from inside the garage last night and the sound was superb! In fact, the phone was WAY louder/clearer than it ever was when it was wired. (Even though that was loud enough already.) And, now I've gained the added feature of having the calls ring into my headset. Too cool!

Yea...this going to be a great year. I can tell already.

BTW, I got my 2720 from Garmin for free when they replaced my 2610 due to a failed screen. I think their customer service is second-to-none. Just my

Last edited by messenger13; Feb 12th, 2008 at 12:23 pm.
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:44 am

You've got me salivating Joe. Maybe you can help me fill in a few blanks.

Comparing it to the Zumo 550, it looks like the differences that might matter are:
1. The 2820 has no battery backup
2. The Zumo 550 has a high-sensitivity receiver (I'm not sure what that really means).
3. The screen is better (resolution and size) on the 2820.
4. No anti-theft feature on the 2820, but I don't know how effective that is.

Any other issues/benefits? Have you tried the weather maps yet?

Bluetooth question, if you can help. If I connect my blackberry via bluetooth, can I listen to MP3s on the blackberry through my headset, via the 2820 and bluetooth, or does that work for only phone calls?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Smile Just one more thing....

Mr. Noxous,
The 550 has the ability for removable SD data cards (memory chips) that enable you to load songs or POI's or maps. Nice feature. I use an Ipod, but sometimes would like to leave it home on shorter rides and have my favorites on the GPS to listen to. Also the battery power is nice when you go inside a hotel at night and want to review or prepare for the next day's journey.

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Mr. Noxous. I like that. So formal. Thanks Craig.

I did miss the SD card option. Since I use my blackberry for my mp3 player, that doesn't seem that important, but it wouldn't be bad to have, and the battery could be quite useful.

I also notice that it doesn't have the picture viewer, which means nothing to me, but it makes me question if Joe's image required a little digital manipulation, showing his bike on the 2820 display. Very suspicious.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

My comments below in RED.

Comparing it to the Zumo 550, it looks like the differences that might matter are:
1. The 2820 has no battery backup
Correct. But this is my third GPS w/o a battery ... so I guess I'm used to it. But a battery would come in handy at times.

2. The Zumo 550 has a high-sensitivity receiver (I'm not sure what that really means).
Nor do I. I did see that spec when comparing features, and did a chuckle out of it.

3. The screen is better (resolution and size) on the 2820.
Wider, but not as tall. But you are correct, the resolution on the 2820 is higher.

4. No anti-theft feature on the 2820, but I don't know how effective that is.
This is a total non-issue for me. If a crook wants your Zumo, he's going to take. Whether the jerk can use it at that point or not doesn't help the rightful owner too much, does it?

Any other issues/benefits? Have you tried the weather maps yet?
No, I don't subscribe to XM ... although I am considering it. We'll see.

Other benefits? The cradle on the 2820 is a tried-and-true design. I have heard reports of the 550's cradle failing. Not good. Garmin has integrated the power and audio contacts into the cradle. Perhaps they've already fixed this ... I don't know.

I also actually like the wide-screen format of the 2820 over the 550. Makes it less tall so it works better in the car especially. But that's just a personal preference.

Bluetooth question, if you can help. If I connect my blackberry via Bluetooth, can I listen to MP3s on the blackberry through my headset, via the 2820 and Bluetooth, or does that work for only phone calls?
I'm guessing only phone calls, but I don't know for sure.
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Talking It's all about the money!

If the prices are the same, Zumo 550 over the 2820. For me, I had a 2720 that kept fogging up. First call to Garmin, Mr. NiceGuy, second call Mr.This is annoying, third call Mr.Now I'm Pissed! Mr. Now I'm Pissed demanded a refund when they to me "it's a common problem" I told them "it wasn't a common problem when I was buying!"...."refund, or upgrade" and "I'm not paying $15 to return the 2720". Next day 2820 on the doorstep, UPS label emailed to me! I love my Garmin!

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I also notice that it doesn't have the picture viewer, which means nothing to me, but it makes me question if Joe's image required a little digital manipulation, showing his bike on the 2820 display. Very suspicious.
I did digitally manipulate my avatar. But that is EXACTLY what one sees on my 2820 when it is first turned ON. I changed the boot-up Splash Screen. Cool!
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Security of the Zumo

I always get a kick out of my friends with their Zumo's. When we stop at a suspicious spot for lunch, I release my 2820 and put it in the trunk along with my helmet and gloves. They go looking for their key, spend 5 minutes unlocking and hiding it in a saddlebag and then reverse the process when we are ready to ride. It takes 2 seconds to remove the 2820 and most times, I just put my tank bag cover over the bag and GPS and no one sees it. You're right about one thing, if they want it, they'll destroy to get it. When my mini yacht was broken into, the thief destroyed my built in GPS and depth finders trying to steal them and got so frustrated, he took a screw driver to my upholstery. Sometime, it's worth giving up without a fight to save the rest of the stuff.

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback Joe. Currently, I plug my blackberry into an audio jack anway, so doing so for the 2820 really wouldn't be a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
Sometime, it's worth giving up without a fight to save the rest of the stuff.
Never. It'll just make theft more rewarding and more common. Thanks for getting your boat mangled for the rest of us.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 9:04 pm

I have had a 2820 for over a year and really like it. I got the weather, traffic and XM radio. I use my Ipod for most of the time for music but the traffic and weather features are great. When riding with a buddy (with a Zumo) in Utah I had a weather alert come up on the screen, we were stoped at the time so I open up the weather map and you could see where the thunder storms were and we could see that we would miss them so we didn't put on the rain gear. After using this feature a lot on this trip by buddy who I rode with wished he had a 2820 instead of the Zumo. The phone does sound great also.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in