2720 Is it a dud - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage
2720 Is it a dud

Hi all recently purchased a 2720 from the states used, and it has arrived I have put the OZ maps on it and updated the firmware to the latest, when I turn it on some street names appear, but a lot are missing they will not be on the screen if move off into a new area. I turn it off they appear again zoom fixed set at 120.. is it a dud??
Thanks

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

nah.. could be the settings.... my 2610 acted similarly then I set it to display "more" information.. and wala-wala... street names!

Also, I noticed if I download from the MapSource tool, the settings on the Garmin will take the settings of the MapSource... just fyi.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
thankyou for the reply I have played with it for hours It works perfectly in all other aspects I have set everything to full turned off the auto zoom but still only a few street names appear

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As I understand it, the maps come installed on the GPS. I would contact Garmin... of course Messenger13 here has one of those and may be able to give you direct input..

Sorry I couldn't help.. but if you need, ping me again and I shall try...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Sorry for joining in so late.

Like Channing said, I used to own a 2720 and just LOVED it. Nope, hardly a "dud". The only reason I just sold it was to upgrade(?) to the Bluetooth-enabled 2820. Otherwise, I would've just kept the 2720.

Are you 100% you have the latest firmware installed? I can't find the info now ... but just last week I read somewhere that one of the latest firmware updates was suppose to fix an issue with Australia street names. I kid you not. I distinctly remember because I thought to myself that the names must've been appearing upside-down or something for the mates "down under".

Also, you might want to backup all of your information and than do a "Master Reset" on your 2720. Below are Garmin's instructions on how to do that.

HTH

-----------------------------------------

Performing a Master Reset on the 2720.

Please note -You will lose any user data stored within the unit.

· With your unit turned off, press and hold the 'Menu' and 'Map' buttons.

· Now turn the unit on whilst holding these two buttons. Keep holding 'Map' and 'Menu' for around ten seconds.

· Release both buttons and the unit will power up as normal.

· The unit will then ask you to configure the settings. Select Language (British English), select Time Zone (Western Europe), select daylight savings auto adjust (on), Select preferred units.

· This will completely wipe all data on your unit including almanac data (satellite information).

· Your unit would then need at least 45 minutes with clear view of the sky to update the almanac and reacquire an accurate fix.

Please also log onto our website www.Garmin.com and update your unit to the latest software version.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:25 am Thread Starter

Garage
Re: 2720 Is it a dud

Thanks messenger 13
yep its got the latest firmware garmin here say its normal, but then with the problems I had since I have been trying to fix things, the garmin australia distributer is crap to deal with, no help what so ever. bought the latest maps and found out you can only put it on one unit now, although web sites here advertise that it can go onto two.. this is my last map update I will buy a new tom tom or such next time it is cheaper than updating two units.. I am venting now sorry bout that I have performed about 3 master resets I know this thing now like the back of my hand it is faulty and Garmin no longer service thes units so Im stuck with it

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in