Sorry for joining in so late.
Like Channing said, I used to own a 2720 and just LOVED it. Nope, hardly a "dud". The only reason I just sold it was to upgrade(?) to the Bluetooth-enabled 2820. Otherwise, I would've just kept the 2720.
Are you 100% you have the latest firmware installed? I can't find the info now ... but just last week I read somewhere that one of the latest firmware updates was suppose to fix an issue with Australia street names. I kid you not. I distinctly remember because I thought to myself that the names must've been appearing upside-down or something for the mates "down under".
Also, you might want to backup all of your information and than do a "Master Reset" on your 2720. Below are Garmin's instructions on how to do that.
Performing a Master Reset on the 2720.
Please note -You will lose any user data stored within the unit.
· With your unit turned off, press and hold the 'Menu' and 'Map' buttons.
· Now turn the unit on whilst holding these two buttons. Keep holding 'Map' and 'Menu' for around ten seconds.
· Release both buttons and the unit will power up as normal.
· The unit will then ask you to configure the settings. Select Language (British English), select Time Zone (Western Europe), select daylight savings auto adjust (on), Select preferred units.
· This will completely wipe all data on your unit including almanac data (satellite information).
· Your unit would then need at least 45 minutes with clear view of the sky to update the almanac and reacquire an accurate fix.
Please also log onto our website www.Garmin.com
and update your unit to the latest software version.