Best way to stay on top of changing weather - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Best way to stay on top of changing weather

My wife and I drove back to Orange County from Napa on Thursday evening. The weather was not ideal getting into OC. The Grapevine (the 5 coming through the mountains into the San Fernando valley) was closed due to snow, so we took the 58 to the 395 toward Victorville. We hit quite a bit of snow and fog in the Tehachapi valley, but we made it to Victorville. Picking up the 15 through the Cajon pass, we again hit a lot of snow and fog, going about 25 mph into the valley.

We made it home safely, but it got me wondering. I've become somewhat "weather lazy" living in southern CA. If I was on the bike, I'd have had to turn around, or found another route into OC.

Weather is all important, but not just weather at select cities. I'd want to know the conditions on the highways between cities, and how they're changing. What are the best websites people use to check weather along their routes.

As for GPS systems, it seems the plotters can show weather maps, but the Zumo is just text-based weather weather conditions at cities, right?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
My wife and I drove back to Orange County from Napa on Thursday evening. The weather was not ideal getting into OC. The Grapevine (the 5 coming through the mountains into the San Fernando valley) was closed due to snow, so we took the 58 to the 395 toward Victorville. We hit quite a bit of snow and fog in the Tehachapi valley, but we made it to Victorville. Picking up the 15 through the Cajon pass, we again hit a lot of snow and fog, going about 25 mph into the valley.

We made it home safely, but it got me wondering. I've become somewhat "weather lazy" living in southern CA. If I was on the bike, I'd have had to turn around, or found another route into OC.

Weather is all important, but not just weather at select cities. I'd want to know the conditions on the highways between cities, and how they're changing. What are the best websites people use to check weather along their routes.

As for GPS systems, it seems the plotters can show weather maps, but the Zumo is just text-based weather weather conditions at cities, right?
www.accuweather.com
www.weather.com

Also check TV Weather Channel where available.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

I check accuweather and weather underground......but.......
Many time they don't agree...........................................
The weather channel (noaa) on the LT is helpful, as is the XM major cities weather........................................... ............................
But, it's all a craps shoot.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in