who's got a StreetPilot III? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

who's got a StreetPilot III?

A SPIII was "thrown in" with my recent LT purchase. It apparently has everything with it that shipped with it from the Garmin factory. It works and seems to work well, is just like new. I'm just wondering if anyone else is still using their's. It's an awfully cool unit, tho apparently a little dated. Voice directions, good maps, automated updates, color. I'm really pretty excited about it. Who else is using it, and what should I do to get the latest stuff from Garmin for it? Thanks, all.

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1980 Harley Superglide
You can never have too many motorcycles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:29 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead_Jim
A SPIII was "thrown in" with my recent LT purchase. It apparently has everything with it that shipped with it from the Garmin factory. It works and seems to work well, is just like new. I'm just wondering if anyone else is still using their's. It's an awfully cool unit, tho apparently a little dated. Voice directions, good maps, automated updates, color. I'm really pretty excited about it. Who else is using it, and what should I do to get the latest stuff from Garmin for it? Thanks, all.
I have the BMW NAV I that is just a re-badged SPIII. It has the original software in it from 03 but it hasn't been a problem yet. I do like using it occasionally.

Mine came with the bike too, otherwise I wouldn't spend the money on one.

If you're going to rely on it during a long trip I would try and get newer maps, otherwise don't sweat it

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Thank you, and sorry all for the post in this section of the forums. I did not realize there was a separate section for "GPS." On a long trip, most will be interstate, so no need for the latest maps, but I agree that some of the quarter-country rolls (the three- or four-day stuff that can take advantage of backroads) would benefit from the latest mapping. I don't think I would "rely" on one of these in the near future for anything other than interstate and major roads, but maybe someday. Thank you for your response. I'm sure I will go with it as is for some time, and just do the route planning and dead reckoning the old fashioned way.

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC

1980 Harley Superglide

post #4 of 29 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:59 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Spiii

I am still using the SP III that came from the factory on my 2002LT. It will get you were you want to go. If you are going to keep it get the newest maps.
2008 maps only work on the newer units, so look very carefully at the package to see if it works on that unit. You can always order it from Garmin.

The newer units have a lot of new features that make it easy to find food and fuel, etc. with phone numbers... the SPIII has a real hard time with that.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #5 of 29 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:35 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Thank you, and sorry all for the post in this section of the forums. I did not realize there was a separate section for "GPS."
No worries, I'll move it

I wouldn't worry about the newer maps for back roads. In my experience they really don't change much. Out here in CA they're building new neighborhoods and whole cities faster than you can imagine. None of that is going to be in the older maps but I could care less...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:26 am

I'm still using mine. Thought a few times about upgrading but it works. I use Version 7 Maps and a 256 MB data chip. There real limitation is the data chip and the size of the newer maps.

It works but it is slow. If you buy a bigger data chip it will get slower. To combat the sluggish performance I turned off automatic recalculation. I expect that I will upgrade when I have a reasonably priced stereo Bluetooth solution to the intercom. I've been looking at piecing that together.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 2:44 pm

I still use mine...Route recalculating speed is slow and sunlight on the screen makes it hard to see.....othere than that I like it a lot..very tough unit.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #8 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 3:54 pm

BMW Garmin helpline

As I reported on another thread, I too acquired a Garmin with my 2003 LTthis summer.
The guy who answers the phone at the BMW Navigator Helpline (866-455-7012) was quick to answer, infinitely patient, and utterly helpful.
post #9 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 4:52 pm

I had one on my LT for three years, many, many happy miles ridden behind it. Unfortunately, I totalled the LT in 2004, moved the SPIII to my car, since sold that car and bought a Tundra truck, it now resides happily on the dash of it.

Yes, a little dated, but the only real down side is that it is slow to calculate routes, but other than that it is great. Also, entering addresses is a little slow, the newer units have much faster touch screen.

It is one TOUGH unit! Was never removed from my bike for nerly 100,000 miles, went through two bad crashes, bike nearly totaled in first one, fully totaled the second time, Garmin never hiccuped.

I recently upgraded the mapping software, and it has the latest available firmware for it.

I MAY finally retire it, as I am looking at one of the in-dash navigation systems for the truck so that I will have nav, blue-tooth, back-up camera all combined in one unit. So far, Eclipse seems to be my choice.

The Garmin will be kept around for backup, or when going somewhere where I will be using a rental car etc..

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 7:36 pm

After 4 years, mine bit the dust in a rainstorm last fall (even though it's supposed to be waterproof). They're great units, even if a bit dated. Rather than rewire the bike and cars, I got another one for $140 on ebay, and sold my toasted one for $60 (yes, they knew it was inop).

I'm still fat and happy with mine.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #11 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 1:20 pm

A little "incedental" tip regarding that GPS!

If your GPS is mounted in the stock position (above the map light)
one of the things you might notice is a wind "whistle"

I "hunted" for that "whistle" for quite a while
until somebody on this forum told me to put a little silicone in the screw holes,
sure enough that did the trick.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #12 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I still use an SPIII+ I bought as a refurb on ebay. As has been said a little slow to recalc,etc, but bullet proof. I like the routing options available on the desktop MapSource software that can be fine tuned there before hitting the GPS. My problem with it is after swapping my PC for a 'newer' one with Win XP SP2 the download of routes to the unit doesn't work.

Hear my email Garmin tech suport.

Motor On ,/'

post #13 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
I still use an SPIII+ I bought as a refurb on ebay. As has been said a little slow to recalc,etc, but bullet proof. I like the routing options available on the desktop MapSource software that can be fine tuned there before hitting the GPS. My problem with it is after swapping my PC for a 'newer' one with Win XP SP2 the download of routes to the unit doesn't work.

Hear my email Garmin tech suport.
I recently upgraded my Garmin Map software to V8, and downloaded new maps to my SP III with no problems. I am using Win XP Pro with SP2.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure my problem isn't with the Garmin software, but the PC. I 'upgraded' from a Win98 box to the XP that my daughter regifted to me after she got her new laptop. I suspect four years of college downloads have the bowels of the beast in a tangle.

Motor On ,/'

post #15 of 29 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all very much for your replies. I'm loving my SPIII more every time I sit behind it. It kinda matches me, old but still doin the job. I'm in the process of hooking up with Garmin and getting some help from them for the necessary updates, both OS and maps. The guy that had this before me never used it, it is virgin. On a related note, I just bought my wife a nuvi 350 today! Wish it was waterproof!
Thanks again, everybody!

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC

1980 Harley Superglide
post #16 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Still using mine too! SPIII. Straight wired and mounted it on my shelve, took the voice out. Went to the Garmin and ordered the upgrade and it works great!

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #17 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 2:51 pm

I too still use the one I got several years ago. It works well but is slow. Cruising at 80ish, you can easily miss a turn and be in a nowhere place before 'Bitchin Betty' gives you the "off route" notice. The SP III likes the cars better for some reason. It has only gone into LaLa land once and that was when we had to turn onto a newly constructed interstate ramp off I-77 in Charlotte. It hung up for a little while but suddenly came back alive so we were good to go.
For all it's slowness - it has gotten me to places I would have never found with a map or directions - and that's the truth.
When I upgrade - I may just keep it as a backup.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #18 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 3:16 pm

I have had my StreetPilot since they first came out. It still works wonderfully well on the K1200LT and in my Lexus coupe. I just updated the maps in December this year. Cost about $75.00. Called Garman and they were great help. I have never had any problems with it. Althought the newer units are 3D and have music and XM, unless you really like that stuff and havae to have it, I think you are better off with just what you have. I wouwld not change it.

So, for my money, I would keep that unit, update it and use it!!! It will perform just the way you want and I believe you will be more than happy.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #19 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I too still use the one I got several years ago. It works well but is slow. Cruising at 80ish, you can easily miss a turn and be in a nowhere place before 'Bitchin Betty' gives you the "off route" notice. The SP III likes the cars better for some reason. It has only gone into LaLa land once and that was when we had to turn onto a newly constructed interstate ramp off I-77 in Charlotte. It hung up for a little while but suddenly came back alive so we were good to go.
For all it's slowness - it has gotten me to places I would have never found with a map or directions - and that's the truth.
When I upgrade - I may just keep it as a backup.

Did you try setting it to the motorcycle position in the setting? That may have something to do with it being slow. I have had mine since they came out without any slowness as you have discribed.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #20 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUIII
Did you try setting it to the motorcycle position in the setting? That may have something to do with it being slow. I have had mine since they came out without any slowness as you have discribed.
Not sure I understand what the 'motorcycle position' is. If you are talking about the routing : car / motorcycle choice - yes that has been chosen. If there is another setting, please share. The term slow is in comparison to the newer units that calculate and re-calculate almost instantaneously. They are so fast a couple of my techno riding friends seem to compete via their units.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #21 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 5:24 pm

I've been using mine for 5.5 years. I have upgraded the software every time there was an upgrade available. Just like any older CPU it's gets slower and slower because the software gets larger and larger. Eventually, the number of calculations gets to great for the CPU to manage and you have to chunk it for a newer faster CPU. Mine works fine but is very slow recalculating. If I miss a turn in a large city, I have to stop and wait for it to catch up. Otherwise, it just keep recalculating, off course, recalculating, etc. I have a 2002 with the BMW COM system and the newer Garmin units will not work with the Com system. I'm just waiting until Bluetooth get's better, then I 'll probably get a Zumo or 2820 (probably a new bike too). Anyway, it works, it's just old and slow like me.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #22 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:52 pm

I'm still using my SPIII on my bike. I haven't broke down and bought a cable and mounting bracket for my 2820. The SPIII is a great unit and has served me well for over 5 years.
post #23 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2008, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Re: who's got a StreetPilot III?

By the way, and this is probably known by everybody with an SPIII besides me, it will not take a 256 MB card. I talked with a guru at Garmin yesterday, after I bought a 256 last week (ouch) who said in the beginning, G made the 256 outta two 128s and they worked fine, but now, a single 256 chip, no go. SORRY they said. It blows me out. The first unit listed on the box for the 256 compat list is the SPIII. G assures me no, will not. So...ordered a 128 MB last nite. Live and learn. I hope this helps SOMEBODY avoid the same waste of money.

On the other side, I have a brandy new 256 MB genuine Garmin chip on eBay, if anybody wants it for a later unit!

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC

1980 Harley Superglide
post #24 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Quote:
By the way, and this is probably known by everybody with an SPIII besides me, it will not take a 256 MB card. I talked with a guru at Garmin yesterday, after I bought a 256 last week (ouch) who said in the beginning, G made the 256 outta two 128s and they worked fine, but now, a single 256 chip, no go. SORRY they said. It blows me out. The first unit listed on the box for the 256 compat list is the SPIII. G assures me no, will not. So...ordered a 128 MB last nite. Live and learn. I hope this helps SOMEBODY avoid the same waste of money.

On the other side, I have a brandy new 256 MB genuine Garmin chip on eBay, if anybody wants it for a later unit!
And to add to that 256MB alert, Darryl at TVNav told me that my old Streetpilot 1's card/chip size limit is 64MB. So, I didn't waste moolah there, thanks to Darryl. The 8mB chip I use just barely covers the county wherein lies Boerne!!! Guess I can't get lost around here, huh!!!
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 12:37 pm

Quote:
By the way, and this is probably known by everybody with an SPIII besides me, it will not take a 256 MB card. I talked with a guru at Garmin yesterday, after I bought a 256 last week (ouch) who said in the beginning, G made the 256 outta two 128s and they worked fine, but now, a single 256 chip, no go. SORRY they said.
Pretty interesting.

I have been using a 256 MB chip in my SP III for two years. Maybe they have a new chip that isn't compatable. My SP III came with a 128 MB chip as the default.

It's sloow with a 128 MB chip and twice as sloooow with the 256 MB chip..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #26 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I have a 2002 with the BMW COM system and the newer Garmin units will not work with the Com system.
Dick, how've you been my friend? I'm sure you know this, because it seems I remember a couple of years ago you entertaining the notion of upgrading to a NAV II, but there was a small time window at that time when a wiring harness was available to retrofit a NAV II to the COMM System like you and I have, because I did just that. In fact, I just went to a NAV III as well. Now that the VOICE has been out for a while, naturally that harness is ancient history I am afraid. Bring on the new LT!!

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #27 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 6:11 pm

I've used my SPIII for many years with 256mb card.

I'm looking for an unused or broken SPIII from which to salvage the screen since mine has developed a big translucent yellow splotch in the middle.

But I've always found it to be an excellent machine for motorcycling.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #28 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarry
I've used my SPIII for many years with 256mb card.
Barry:
There are TWO 256s (at least). The early one, composed of two 128s worked fine. The newer one, came out in about 2004, was a single 256 chip, later format and will not work. Or at least will not work in mine. Garmin immediately says nope, it won't. It's the new chip versus the older one, or so they say. You were fortunate to have the older one, I guess. Either way, it won't work in mine. Back to 128! and functional!

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC

1980 Harley Superglide
post #29 of 29 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Just an update for any SPIII owners out there. The 128mB chip works great, the latest maps work great, the old unit works GREAT. For anybody that needs basic nav, not all the music, etc, of the newest gizmos, don't toss your SPIII just yet. Even the POI stuff works just fine. Very complete and pretty much up to date. Happy motoring!

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC

1980 Harley Superglide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in