Tom Tom Rider 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Tom Tom Rider 2

I haven't seen too much discussion on the Tom Tom Rider 2. I bought my wife a Tom Tom One XL for her travels (she is a sales person) and it has been a good unit - easy to use, efficient, etc. Any experience with this one? It seems that a touring, long-distance, backroad-seeking bike like the LT demands a good GPS device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:03 am

I have a TomTom one LE (the Best Buy version of the V3) and I just went to New Mexico for three days. It worked very well, even with my getto mount to keep it on the bike. In the bright sun I had a hard time seeing the screen but it was a fun little unit. My buddy that I met has a 2610 and it did not show the WalMart in town.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:09 am

TomTom Rider

I have the first version of the TomTom Rider that I use on my K1200RS. I don't know if the design of the electrical contacts is the same on the new TomTom Rider 2, but on my unit there are 4 spring loaded pins in the cradle that push against 4 contact points on the GPS.

I've found that the pins will wear away the contact points so that eventually there's no contact between them and the unit fails to charge. So far I've had 2 units replaced for the same problem. I bought the original unit from Fry's in March 2006, took it back for repair/replacement in October 2006, finally received the replacement in Jan 2007, (Frys is off my list for future purchases of anything over a few dollars), sent this one back to TomTom in August 2007 and received a replacement within 2 weeks. I've only ridden 5000 miles with the latest one, the others lasted about 20,000 each. So far it appears to be OK, but I won't buy another TomTom with this type of connection. I like the functionality of the unit, its ease of use, but not the design of the pins.

3 weeks ago I bought my LT. My son now gets to ride my RS when we go out together, so the TomTom will probably stay on it and I'll eventually have to buy a new one - but it will be a Garmin product.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:13 am

I travel A LOT!

Budget and Avis have Garmin and Hertz has the Magellan.

I got my TomTom from Marriott Rewards.
Hands down TomTom has the BEST GPS out there!

Unfortunately, My tochscreen died and it is being RMA'd now.
But TomTom support is very easy to work with.

I would not hesitate buying a TomTom. IF I had to.
Thank God for reward points.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 4:11 am

Re: Tom Tom Rider 2

Hi Folks,
I have a Tomtom rider (very good unit).. My problem is the volume in the helmet mounted speaker (or lack of).. Has anyone else had this problem??
Can the bluetooth unit be HARD wired to my existing helmet speakers??
Many thanks in advance,
Col

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in