Zumo Mounting Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Zumo Mounting Advice

I'm getting a Zumo 550. Planning on getting the Ram clutch reservoir mount. Anybody have any advice on running the power cable?

This will be the first time I take this bike apart at all. I'd like to keep it to a minimum, but it's more important to do the job right.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:47 pm

The good news is that the Garmin motorcycle power cable is very long so you shouldn't have any trouble routing the wiring where it needs to go.

Lots of folks have tapped into the map light at the top of the dash to power a GPS. You can hide the wire inside the left handlebar cover to get it to the bike, but from there you may have to take off the side panels, the stingray and perhaps the upper cowling to route the wire up to the map light. You may be able to find another place to connect up that is a little easier to reach. The parking lamp in the front is a possibility although that is a switched circuit, unlike the map light which has power unless you lock the handlebars. Some folks like being able to use the GPS with the bike shut off.

You might want to install a fuse block in a convenient location. That way adding additional gizmos will be easier later on.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Thank You

I do like the idea of being able to use the GPS when the bikes off. I can see where that could be very useful.

Something I forgot to ask about is the cable for the XM antenna. Since the Zumo has XM already built in I was going to also mount a GXM-30 antenna. After talking to a guy at Sierra BMW I think the best spot is probably just under the windshield in front. It sounds like I could route the antenna cable the same place I run the power cable.

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:25 pm

Garage
First question, what year BMW? From about 05 on they are prewired for connection of a GPS. Just need to get a BMW plug for the GPS end.

Second, resourvoir mounts are questionable. If involved in a mishap, the added leverage on the resourvoir could damage the seal or worse. If that should happen, bike might not work.

On my 05 RT I just mounted next to the clutch res. using the handlebar clamp. Not elegant but more than functional. For power, I had an extra accessory outlet mounted near the tach, facing down. It was wired direct to the battery with fuse, so it was always hot. Personal preference was to keep the GPS alive when I stopped for fuel etc.

GXM 30. This is really a self-contained unit. It is the radio and antenna. RAM makes a mounting bracket which fits neatly behind the Garmin mount. The GXM can be mounted to this bracket with with two screws or using the magnetic base in the GXM. Makes for a very clean install.

Ron
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Ron, thanks for the tip about the Ram mount for the antenna. I'll look into that.

My LT is a 2002.

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:09 pm

If you are not set on installing the Zumo on the clutch side, you might consider mounting it atop the dash, either using the older BMW OEM Navigator mounting kit, or by using a BMR Co-Pilot Shelf. That makes placement of the XM antenna on the dash easy, and wiring the power cable to the map light is drop dead easy.

Just a thought.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

I considered mounting on the dash. My feeling is that it would be too far for a comfortable reach to use the phone functions of the Zumo.

I've seen pictures of installations just in front of the sound system buttons. I'm trying to avoid cutting holes though. It looks to me like you'd need to mounting it there.

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in