Alternative to GPS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Alternative to GPS?

My wife got me a Garmin GPS for Christmas. I then went on line and printed out the users manual. 49 pages. Are you kidding me? I cannot imagine the need for anything so complicated. It will be returned. Alternative? A map. A plain, old, map. That fits nicely in the map pocket of my tank bag. A map that doesn't need to be programed or have a specific address to go to or tell me when to turn. Or needs a visor for sunny days. Or have to worry about power supplies, what type of mount to use and taking it with me so someone doesn't steal it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Globe, Atlas, Map....but there will be some reading and you will be better served if you have the address of where you want to go and sunglasses/glasses to read it which you usually can only do while stopped.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #3 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Smile

i guess if you got a new car, you would not be interested reading that manual either......just take the car back

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT

post #4 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Talking

Sam,
You really don't need to read any manual Sam. Just look at it out of the box and figure how to power it. And, turn it on. It will find itself and from that 30 seconds you'll always know where you are. Don't even think about putting a route in it. Use it, as is................... it will tell you the road your on and what x-roads your crossing and most will convert that into speech so you don't have to look at it at all. Place it in your car or truck first and see what it is like to know what road it is that you can barely see a mile out in front of you..................... you'll know because it will tell you. And most will tell you in speech................ "driving north on XXX XXXX rd. crossing XXX XXXXX Boulevard etc".

And, all this and you never "cracked a book". Pretty neat!

Sam, I have used navigation systems that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and my Garmin 2720 (300 dollars) still brings a big smile to me everyday! (Used in our car, truck, motorhome and on 2 Beemer m/c(s).

Bet, you do like I have said (simple) and you will love it!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #5 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascaLT
My wife got me a Garmin GPS for Christmas. I then went on line and printed out the users manual. 49 pages. Are you kidding me? I cannot imagine the need for anything so complicated. It will be returned. Alternative? A map. A plain, old, map. That fits nicely in the map pocket of my tank bag. A map that doesn't need to be programed or have a specific address to go to or tell me when to turn. Or needs a visor for sunny days. Or have to worry about power supplies, what type of mount to use and taking it with me so someone doesn't steal it.
STOP! You don't have to use all those features.
But trust me on this - once you get used to rolling with that GPS, knowing where you are, how to get back to the trail when you wander off sightseeing, seeing your TRUE speed and the thing managing your expectations on how long it will take to get somewhere, you will be spoiled and feel naked without it. This from a former KISS and anti-GPS guy. My first brush with GPS was on my LTE. It came with it so maybe I'll try it. Why not? I now have one installed in the wife's car and my Tahoe.

GPS... never leave home without it.
post #6 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:41 am

Not to mention trying to plunk your way thru a strange city with traffic thicker than fleas on a rabid goat. It will tell you which way to go without taking your eye's off of said traffic. Some of the exits can be weird, and trying to navigate them while looking at a map and dodging the destruction derby can be suicide.

I've been in cities that have these weird median thangs, and if you get off the highway to get gas, you have to go thru all kinds of contortions to get to a filling station. Now, if it's raining to beat hell, you get turned around, can't see the sun and there's no tree's to read the moss off of, you're one lost pup.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:58 am

I know that GPS has it's place. I have seen it in my niece's car and it is cute watching the car move along the road. I have no need or desire for one. If I am out on the bike I have plenty of time to stop and check maps. As for cities, I go way around normally with the bikes or the cars. I won't buy one for the bike or car. If my next car comes with one I will probably watch it but I doubt that it would be much use. I am sure once you get used to it it wouldn't be that hard to use. Remember some people had a hard time programing their VCR.
post #8 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Not to mention trying to plunk your way thru a strange city with traffic thicker than fleas on a rabid goat. It will tell you which way to go without taking your eye's off of said traffic. Some of the exits can be weird, and trying to navigate them while looking at a map and dodging the destruction derby can be suicide.
Grif's right. The main reason I bought a gps is so I could hear the directions rather than looking at a map. It's more of a safety thing with me than anything else.

As far as the book goes, unless you're planning a route with mapsource, you really don't need no steenkin' book with a Garmin.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #9 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 8:20 am

I was one of those Rand McNally kind of guys who did not want to go to the trouble of a GPS on the LT!

I debated this for two years before I bought the Garmin 2720.

Depending on which model you have (hopefully it is one of the waterproof units), I would keep it and have it installed on your bike.

Don't let the manual scare you off. Play with it in the house (like I did) and get used to it! If you still have questions about using the Garmin, there are several TECHNO GEEKS on this forumm that can help you!

Merry navigating.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:24 am

How many pages does the manual for your bike have?

too many! return the darn thing...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #11 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Now, if it's raining to beat hell, you get turned around, can't see the sun and there's no tree's to read the moss off of, you're one lost pup.
You can read moss ??? Will you teach me???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:43 am

Quote:
Aw, don't bother with all that after holiday store traffic, waiting in line at the return desk, etc. Send me your address, I'll send you a pre-paid shipping box, so you can just put the unit inside and send it to me. I'll handle all that nonsense for ya. :-)

Seriously, the MapSource software is pretty easy, really. And trying to find some nice, quiet back road route to ride on using road maps? Unless you're willing to carry hundreds of maps with enough detail to show them, you'll be missing out on some very nice riding. Oh, and if you ever find yourself in the middle of nowhere with no landmarks nearby and no road signs, and want to know where the nearest gas station or restaurant is, good luck with your road map. All that info is in your GPS.

But, if all that reading really overwhelms you, I've got a box ready to ship!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #13 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
You can read moss ??? Will you teach me???
Yes and you betcha. You walk up to a tree, find the mossy side, give it a big ol' lick, spit into the wind and where the spit lands is which direction you take. You must keep your lips moving during this process to count as reading.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:00 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All I can add is it is really hard to read a map while doing 80 mph down the highway and as it take both hands to fold it up and I might end up with a highspeed wobble.

Seriously I too was a map guy and still carry one as they do some things better than a GPS does - like give you the "big picture" view. But I love the ETA function. Going for an exploratory ride and need to be back at 4:30? Then just press "route home" and when ETA sez 4:30 follow the route. I always get home on time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
As far as the book goes, unless you're planning a route with mapsource, you really don't need no steenkin' book with a Garmin.
I was given one of the monochrome Street Pilots in 2000. I used it a lot just to know where I was. Never learned how to route, or any of the fancy stuff.

Then I got a 276C and played with it in the house till I learned it. That's the trick, reading comprehension isn't needed. Just fool with the dayem thang, you'll learn it and find it invaluable.

Saying you don't need GPS is much like saying you don't need ABS, cruise control, heated seats and grips..... once you have it, you can't live without.

As far as avoiding big cities, there are times that time is needed and beating feet is the only way to do it. I hate cities, and the slab for that matter, but it is an evil necessity.

As far as sitting and watching the purdy leetle car on the screen, one must learn something more productive, like twiddling thumbs, or humming a leetle ditty that drives everyone kwazy.

In the meanderings across the United States and even when trying to find the location of that new client in Somewherville, TX, it's a necessity for moi.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:22 am

Maps vs. GPS

Most maps will not tell you where to find the nearest gas station, hospital, Wal-Mart, Chinese restaurant, bank branch or motel, complete with phone number and directions to the specific location.

Besides, real men NEVER ask for directions!

As others have said, the 2720 that I use is pretty intuitive but to understand all of the many features of these units, reading a manual will enhance one's ability to get the most out of the product.

Progress be damned.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #17 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:16 pm

I used maps for decades in a clear plastic envelope on a tank bag. I moved to a GPS when I made move to progressive lens glasses. Took too much time to focus on the map then find and read the details basically at the time I actually needed to have the most attention to the road...

For me the GPS is basically an added safety factor.. How it is big time convenience and would not want to be using maps on any trips.

Since you have retired at a very early age and have very good eyesight you probably would be better off using maps.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #18 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 1:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
There's always this option:

I love my gps and use it every time I ride. Nothing like being able to wander aimlessly then push a button and find gas, or food, or the quickest way home. And when I'm doing competitive road rallies, I need to know down to the minute how far away something is, or exactly when I'll reach my destination. Paper maps are useful for overall planning, but just don't cut it while actually moving.

I just wish I could get a bigger screen to show more detail and more area. In fact, I'm trying to fit a second gps to the bike so I can have one zoomed in close and one with a larger overview.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Talking

Come on Ken you havent figured out how to replace the pesky speedo with a laptop screen, that the only way your getting bigger than the Lowrance.
Ed

Ed & Dovie Crum
99 K1200lt
2002 R1150RT
post #20 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

You can always trust they guys in the forum to help you along. Thanks for all your input but I will have to say that the GPS is resting in it's box in preparation for a possible (and likely) return. I did tinker with it today after a read of the manual and basically I can describe it as a PITA. It remains counter-intuitive for me and the learning curve on this is going to be pretty darn long. I guess it's the same thing that keeps me out of BMW automobiles; that gizmo iDrive or itune or whatever that controller is in between the seats. Please. I would never go through all that programming to change the temp on the A/C or a radio station. If you don't see me on this forum soon, you'll know I returned it. If I keep it, see you tomorrow!
post #21 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 5:10 pm

I can't figure out how the hell he figured out how to get on the internet, track down this site and manage to type out a sentence on these here confusing computer do-dads with all the buttons 'n stuff. I would have thought he may use a telegram.
post #22 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Sam it's your ride so do whatever you damn well want to,
but you don't have to read 49 pages to use and enjoy a GPS,

Garmin sent me a manual printed in German,
don't matter I wouldn't have read it anyway,
I learned it one step at a time, now I love my GPS,
they really are a lot of fun and their use kinda "grows on you"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #23 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:03 pm

You can drive a BMW 7 series and never touch the I drive. There are redundant simple controls for radio, ac, and all the other basic functions.

Same with GPS systems, you can get a lot of use with only using a few functions.

Ignoring technology does not make it go away... You are not amish by chance??

Quote:
You can always trust they guys in the forum to help you along. Thanks for all your input but I will have to say that the GPS is resting in it's box in preparation for a possible (and likely) return. I did tinker with it today after a read of the manual and basically I can describe it as a PITA. It remains counter-intuitive for me and the learning curve on this is going to be pretty darn long. I guess it's the same thing that keeps me out of BMW automobiles; that gizmo iDrive or itune or whatever that controller is in between the seats. Please. I would never go through all that programming to change the temp on the A/C or a radio station. If you don't see me on this forum soon, you'll know I returned it. If I keep it, see you tomorrow!

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #24 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Cat Herder

But all y'all missed the most important point. HOW in gods name CAN this new fangled GPS thingy work in the first if there is no steam? It's all a trick. Now where do I have that foil hat?

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #25 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
But all y'all missed the most important point. HOW in gods name CAN this new fangled GPS thingy work in the first if there is no steam? It's all a trick. Now where do I have that foil hat?
I'm now cleaning my keyboard

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #26 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 7:49 am

Quote:
Ok, you convinced me. Don't mess with it. Out of your league. Relax ol' timer, the young 'uns will take it from here.
post #27 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 8:03 am

325i

Quote:
Hey, this ol' redneck is still figuring out all of the doodads on this car!

It doesn't have the iDrive but it has plenty of other stuff; we refer to that blessed manual often and it is kept handy!

It is like learninig a new trick, you think wow man, I didn't know this car would do that! Now I am trying to figure out if the car has any 007 features

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #28 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Hey, this ol' redneck is still figuring out all of the doodads on this car!

It doesn't have the iDrive but it has plenty of other stuff; we refer to that blessed manual often and it is kept handy!

It is like learninig a new trick, you think wow man, I didn't know this car would do that! Now I am trying to figure out if the car has any 007 features
Have you found that thang that makes it go forward and backwards yet?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 8:46 am

We recently got a Magellan Crossover for $300 on Ebay, 2 yr warranty. Instructions were terrible, spent hours on the phone to India with customer support, they were not much help either and we still have a few questions they can not answer.

BUT, we used this yesterday for a trip that would normally have taken 3.5 hrs. Traffic in Delaware was bumper to bumper, going nowhere. We instead took a ferry to NJ, totally unplanned, and headed back to PA, trusting the GPS would do the job.

I went through completely unknown cities to me, including Philadelphia, just listened to the voice command, and it took 2 hrs, 10mins, in the rain with poor visibility, and very high volume of traffic, at 75+ mph. We LOVE this technology! I would not have attempted that route with a map, under any conditions.

A great deal more difficult to use on the LT (it was not purchased with that intent) using this particular unit, but I am convinced a GPS is the only way to go.

Learn to use it.
post #30 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 9:39 am

Wink

Andy,

I thought that you knew this: Elecricity is really steam like. To be specific it is more like smoke. This becomes evident when electrical wires are damaged. You can see the smoke escape from the wires and electrical motors or lights quite working.
I learned this in trade school in Germany when we covered electrics in british cars made by Lucas. I have always assumed that it applies to all electrical contraptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #31 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:57 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Andy,

I thought that you knew this: Elecricity is really steam like. To be specific it is more like smoke. This becomes evident when electrical wires are damaged. You can see the smoke escape from the wires and electrical motors or lights quite working.
I learned this in trade school in Germany when we covered electrics in british cars made by Lucas. I have always assumed that it applies to all electrical contraptions.
Actually my statement was more a try to translate the German "Und das alles ohne Dampf!"

But yes you are right, in the old british Morris there was smoke escaping from the electrical systems every now and then.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in