Taking the Zumo inside - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Taking the Zumo inside

My wife brought up a good question the other day. I was telling her of my intention to purchase a Zumo 550. I described all of the things it could accomplish with one device, such as, the XM and MP3 features. She said "well, does that mean you could take it off the bike and use it indoors to receive XM or play songs by hooking it up to our home stereo"?

Those of you that have smart wives like me have, no doubt, experienced this deer in the headlights look when they ask such a question. I was speechless for a few moments and my final answer was, I don't know...

Normally, we discuss the merits and issues surrounding high dollar purchases and this is no different. I sense an opportunity here to get a piece of motorcycle gear that could serve the good of both of us.

How bout it, anybody out there ever tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Nope

can't use the XM feature "unless it's in powered mode."

meaning, it has to be connected to the XM external antenna, AND in the cradle, AND the bike or car has to be sending power to the cradle via the charger plug or permanent ac wiring.

and unless you're next to a window, you won't be able to get a satellite signal for plotting courses, either.

HOWEVER...XM right now has a deal where if you pop an extra $6.95 a month (one year commitment), you get a free radio that you can plug into any stereo aux jack, including your car (if you don't have an aux jack in the car, you can get an FM modulator).

Sorry, I thought the same thing

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 3 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Pete !

That's sorta what I was thinking but I wanted to be able to answer that question with authority, as if I knew what I was talking about....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in