Gps - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Gps

Looking for a GPS what do you guy's recommend. Something worth the money but not to expencesive....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 10:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Lightbulb

Garmin 27xx series. They are waterproof and can be had on eBay for just a tad over $300.00. Plus there is a wide choice of mounts for them. Also a lot of us on this forum have experience and documented the installation, wiring, and connecting to a variety of communication systems for the LT.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 5:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock
Looking for a GPS what do you guy's recommend. Something worth the money but not to expencesive....
Quest 2 if you do not want anything too big.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 6:10 am

Marriott gave me a TomTomOne.
I have seen them for sale just over 100.00.

It is not the fanciest GPS on the market, but it does everything that I need a GPS to do.
I have also found it to be very accurate for speed and when to make turns.

I have blown many turns using Garmin and Magellan provided by rental companies.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 9:27 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Gamin 2820 with XM option

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 9:58 am

Gps

Ditto on the Tom Tom One. Ive seen them new for $125 and they do the basics that you want a GPS unit to do.
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Is there a concern regarding the weather with the TomTom One? Is it safe for the rain?
If not, which one would be good?
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Is there a concern regarding the weather with the TomTom One? Is it safe for the rain?
If not, which one would be good?
Garmin is the answer for motorcycle riding in the rain...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2007, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
Ditto on the Tom Tom One. Ive seen them new for $125 and they do the basics that you want a GPS unit to do.
How do you have the Tom Tom mounted?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 7:01 am

Hey BONES,

Re your question on mounting the TomTom One, its the same as mounting the Garmin, etc. On the BMR shelf, on the handlebar mirror mount, on the radio stingray, on the tank bag, I've even seen them mounted on the BMW cup holder. Several pictures are around this site.

I also asked Pete Van Dyke to post his TomTom One mounting information, as he is well versed in it and the fella who suggested the TomTom as a great (low cost) alternative to the Zumo. THey are advertised in the $125 to $149 range. Talked to Pete yesterday. He recommends the BMR shelf (list $135), which you can get sometimes used from LT Parts (seems to be out of them right now), one of the vendors on the BMW site. Pete will be posting information with pictures shortly. (I know, please dont call me "shortly").

Hope this helps.

Dan
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 7:04 am

PS. Re the TomTom One in the rain, it is not waterproof so you need to carry a plastic bag in your glove compartment for a rain/snow period.
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 7:19 am

I just picked up a Tom Tom One and have been very impressed with the satellite acquisition time and the fast recalculations of routes. So far I have only used it in my truck but I don't see why it won't work on the LT using the suction cup applied to the stingray on a temporary basis. I picked mine up at Best Buy for $139.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #13 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I just picked up a Tom Tom One and have been very impressed with the satellite acquisition time and the fast recalculations of routes. So far I have only used it in my truck but I don't see why it won't work on the LT using the suction cup applied to the stingray on a temporary basis. I picked mine up at Best Buy for $139.
Hey, Alan - did you by chance take a look at the Tom Tom Rider model? I saw a placard at WallMart with that name on it, butt when I axed the clerk about it, there wuzn't anybody home!! Just wonderin' if you know anythang about it?

BTW - WallMart had the Tom Tom One on display for $178; locked in the display case. None in the store for sale tho!! Chock full of Garmins at 350+ bones. I don't think Boerne's WallMart is in step with Bentonville!
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Alan - did you by chance take a look at the Tom Tom Rider model? I saw a placard at WallMart with that name on it, butt when I axed the clerk about it, there wuzn't anybody home!! Just wonderin' if you know anythang about it?

BTW - WallMart had the Tom Tom One on display for $178; locked in the display case. None in the store for sale tho!! Chock full of Garmins at 350+ bones. I don't think Boerne's WallMart is in step with Bentonville!
Hey Dick,

I had a hard time finding the unit that I bought what with the Christmas season and all. The TomTom Rider looks like a water resistant version of the TomTom One. The version that I bought has the maps preloaded in memory but also has an SD slot. The more expensive versions have the maps on the SD card and also come with a Bluetooth headset. I really wanted a unit that I could use in my truck and the $139 price was right. It seems to acquire the satellites very quickly and will recalculate routes in just a few seconds.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #15 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:26 am

Thanks, Alan. I think Santa and I need to have a chat before she loads up the sleigh, and fills up the stocking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Hey Dick,

I had a hard time finding the unit that I bought what with the Christmas season and all. The TomTom Rider looks like a water resistant version of the TomTom One. The version that I bought has the maps preloaded in memory but also has an SD slot. The more expensive versions have the maps on the SD card and also come with a Bluetooth headset. I really wanted a unit that I could use in my truck and the $139 price was right. It seems to acquire the satellites very quickly and will recalculate routes in just a few seconds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in