Using a handheld GPS on bike and for hiking? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Using a handheld GPS on bike and for hiking?

Hi folks,
Has anyone used one of the hand-held GPS units both on the bike and for hiking? I am buying a GPS and would like to be able to use it both for hiking and driving. I am thinking about the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and was wondering how it would do on the bike.

Thanks,
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:53 am

With all of the products and features available in a GPS today you shouldn't have any problem finding one that serves all of your needs.

My first GPS was a small Garmin unit that I used on my K75RT it had a versatile little quick release mount that enabled me to use it on the bike, as a back-up unit in my boat and I even had a little mount on my bicycle.

That was before the availability of Ram mounts etc.

I would suggest you look for one that has a power cord and battery only capability,
once you get used to having one you'll never want to be without it.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:08 am

I have the 76CSX and I use it mostly on the bike.
I have it wired to the bike for power and the 2GB card for maps and a ram mount.
I works great on and off of the bike.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:44 am

We have the Garmin eTrex Legend CX and the only thing it doesn't do compared to the regular Streetpilot GPS is voice commands. Other than that it does far more. If you can live without the voice prompts any of them will be fine - mine does 'beep' when a direction command comes up though.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 4:30 pm

I use a Magellan GPS in a Motorcycle mount that I bolted to the dash.

I also use it in my car, (used to use it in my boat when I had one) , and for geocaching.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 6:55 pm

After numerous GPS purchases (about 7 over the past 4 years), we ended up with a really nice, inexpensive Magellan Crossover purchased on Ebay for $350, with either a 2 or 3 yr warranty. Cabela's gets $425 for the same unit, not including the warranty.

Great voice command when used in the car, waterproof, long battery life, AC/DC power. Other than having a difficult time seeing the display on the bike in daylight, I have no other complaints with this unit. There was a great independent review on this GPS, which was one reason I got it.

I bought a pack of screen savers and a touch pen at Staples for a few bucks. We use it all the time in the vehicles, will be working on a better mount for the bike next year.

Overall, we've been very pleased with it. Here is the link:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/02/m...ps_indepth.php

Last edited by yechave; Nov 22nd, 2007 at 7:27 pm. Reason: ad hyperlink
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Garmin GPSmap 60CSx Fits the Bill!

All,

As an update, I ended up getting a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx handheld GPS unit. This is a great unit and I recommend it heartily. I think the Magellan Crossover is definitely one to check out, but I already had a Nuvi 350 in the car so I thought it would be wise to stay "in the family".

Things I love about this GPS:
- Compact, easy to carry, esp. hiking (comes with swivel belt clip)
- Excellent Battery Life
- VERY sensitive GPS receiver - can get a fix ANYWHERE even indoors
- Highly customizable user interface
- SUPER bright transreflective TFT display - actually brighter/clearer to see in direct sunlight!

Things I don't love as much about this GPS:
- No speaker/audio output for spoken directions - does beep loudly when approaching a change so you can check the display)
- Small-ish screen (but has not been a problem, very legible and sharp)
- Text entry is somewhat difficult (rocker switch and enter key for each character)

I am attaching a few pics for grins.
Take care, OB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5257.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	15579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5269.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	15580  

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #8 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I used to do this

My first GPS was an Eagle (Garmin) MapGuide Pro, which was a handheld GPS that I mounted on the bike. It was useful for both hiking and riding. It was one of the first downloadable map units, and having moving maps was pretty handy.

I've got the Nav III (Garmin 2820) on the bike now and use it in the car. It would be totally unsuitable for hiking. You don't need all the route finding and waypoint stuff, and you do need better UI for getting direction to waypoints.

After having gotten used to a street driving GPS I don't think I'd be happy with a hiking oriented GPS on the bike any more either. While driving the turn by turn directions and auto route-finding are super useful.

If you're doing adventure or trail riding, a hiking GPS might be just the thing. But I don't think I'd consider one for street riding, you miss out on too much useful stuff.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Has most road stuff

Not sure of the definition of turn by turn directions and auto route-finding, but with City Navigator NA 2008 I get all the same directions (including street names) and auto-routing as our more auto-oriented Nuvi, there is just no audio output for the directions.

I thought I would dislike the GPSmap 60 for the road but it is actually pretty easy to live with on the bike. I definitely needed a GPS for hiking and I also wanted it to do double-duty on the LT. We have the Nuvi for car trips too.

I'll probably eventually get a Zumo for the bike, but at present the dual-purpose nature of the GPSmap fit the bill "like a glove".

Have fun,
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #10 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 7:27 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I am late on this but I bought the 60CSx a few years ago. It rode on my Road Glide on a Ram bar mount, with a 3" extension and quick mount and was very satisfied.

I also hung it in my car on a suction cup.

Also used it off the bike/car and as you was my major criteria for my first GPS. It is very rugged, well built, with a card holds more map area then you need, and is waterproof to 3'. I even had the magnifying glass on the goose neck and it was very cool. The Fishing and lake area is a nice feature and is one great GPS for hiking, fishing, and boating.

I guess you can tell I am very high on the unit.

As I have learned 2800 mAh rechargeable batteries power it forever, and one of the best but pricey things you can do for it, and any battery powered device. The higher mAh you can find the better. I don't know where the technology is now maybe 3200? I use a brand called POWEREX. I have 16 of them and they LOVE to work.

Then came the LT with that damn mount sticking out calling for something in there. Thus a 2820 was born.

I love it, the screen size is nice, the OEM mount is nice but it may find a BMW Round el covering it, and a shelf will be born. I can get the XM antenna next to it then.

Anyway enjoy your new 60CSx it is a very nice unit for sure.

You going to use a clutch/brake ball mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
Not sure of the definition of turn by turn directions and auto route-finding, but with City Navigator NA 2008 I get all the same directions (including street names) and auto-routing as our more auto-oriented Nuvi, there is just no audio output for the directions.

I thought I would dislike the GPSmap 60 for the road but it is actually pretty easy to live with on the bike. I definitely needed a GPS for hiking and I also wanted it to do double-duty on the LT. We have the Nuvi for car trips too.

I'll probably eventually get a Zumo for the bike, but at present the dual-purpose nature of the GPSmap fit the bill "like a glove".

Have fun,
OB

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 8:18 am

Thumbs up Roger that...60CSX

I use it on my KTM, BMW, mountain bike, hiking and cage. Check out ktmtalk.com to get more info.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 8:20 am

Basspro

I think Basspro has it on sale and you get a $50 rebate fro Garmin.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
Not sure of the definition of turn by turn directions and auto route-finding, but with City Navigator NA 2008 I get all the same directions (including street names) and auto-routing as our more auto-oriented Nuvi, there is just no audio output for the directions.....

OB
My NUVI 350 and 360 have audio out for headphones and also has mp3. The 360 has bluetooth so I can use my phone with it. I use them interchangeably in my cars and my bike. On the bike, I use earbuds and the directions overide the music when needed.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in