Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2007, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo

Yesterday I picked up my wifes new BMW F800ST and it came with a free BMW Zumo GPS Since I already own a Garmin Zumo 550 I thought it would be fun to compare the two units. I started out by downloading the same Custom POI files into the BMW that I have in my 550 so that ever thing would be identical. I then put the BMW unit in my truck and the very first thing I noticed is that the BMW Zumo the icons from the custom POI file right on the main screen while youre driving. This has always been one of my complaints about the Garmin 550 so Im glad to see they are doing it with the BMW unit and maybe we can expect a firmware update for the 550 so it also displays the icons.
When I got back home I had some free time on my hand so I sat down and went through each unit comparing packages, tools and Where to. Here is what I found:
The contents of the packages are similar; except that the Garmin Zumo includes a vehicle suction cup mount with built in speaker, dashboard disk and a vehicle power cable. The BMW Motorrad Zumo includes a GTM 12 FM TMC traffic receiver which only works in selected cities where coverage is available.
TURN ON
The boot up process is the same
TOOLS
The Map page is exactly the same with the same options
BMW Motorrad v2.00
The System options are the same as is the Locale options and the User Data
Both have the same Volume and Bluetooth settings
Under Navigation the BMW unit does not offer the option to change the Recalculation Mode
The Display options are the same as is the Keyboard
BMW does not offer FM Traffic or XM subscriptions
Im assuming the Traffic button on the BMW is the same as the Traffic Source under Garmins Service option. From what I can tell, since Im not in a service area, the GTM 12 FM TMC traffic receiver ties into BMWs Traffic option.
Both units offer Proximity alerts
WHERE TO?
They both include Address, Go Home, Food Lodging, Recently Found and Favorits.
BMW sticks in a button called BMW Motorrad with the BMW icon which list all of the BMW dealers
Then we continue with Routes, Extras, Intersections, Cities, Browse Map and Coordinates

VIEW MAP

The map screen is the same except on the BMW the POI icons from Custom POI are visible on the map screen. I really like having the icons visible on the screen.
The BMW unit fits right into the Garmin vehicle mount and the all black unit blends in very nicely with my dark dash and does not stand out as much as my Garmin unit. When I noticed this I put the two of them on the BMW and the result was the same with the BMW Zumo quietly blending in.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I will be using the BMW Zumo in my car for the next few weeks to see what other difference there are between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:06 am

Re: Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo

Thanks!
Any idea if the GXM30 XM radio and traffic antenna/receiver disc will work with the BMW as it does with the Garmin?
Is there any reason to get the BMW or the Garmin for the K1200LT?
Garmin seems to be cheaper by 1/3.
post #3 of 24 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Personally I would get the Garmin Zumo over the BMW Zumo. My wife's BMW Zumo is at least one update behind my Garmin version and since BMW uses there own version of software you cannot use the Garmin updates. You can only use BMW and they don't seem to be as up to date. On the plus side, the BMW Zumo is preloaded with all of the BMW dealers and when you download an update it includes the most up to date list of BMW dealers. But then again I can download the same list into my Garmin, I just have to update it once or twice a year. As for the GXM30 XM radio and traffic antenna/receiver disc, I would recommend you contact Garmin. There seems to be just enough difference between the two it would be a gamble to assumed they would be interchangeable. Good Luck.

post #4 of 24 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmanwheeler
The map screen is the same except on the BMW the POI icons from Custom POI are visible on the map screen. I really like having the icons visible on the screen.
I don't know if it will resolve the issue but and you may have already been down this path:

Is the custom POI database turned on in your Garmin unit?

Page 56 of the Zumo 550 Manual.
Wrench -> Proximity Points -> Proximity Alerts

Are the Map detail settings the same on both units?

Page 41 of the Zumo 550 Manual.
Wrench -> Map -> Map Detail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #5 of 24 Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I have it working now, the only problem with the BMW version is you can only use there software updates and they are about an update behind the Garmin version.
post #6 of 24 Old May 23rd, 2008, 1:57 pm

As I understand it, the BMW device does not support XM Radio, due to an exclusive agreement between BMW and Sirius radio.
post #7 of 24 Old May 23rd, 2008, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
As I understand it, the BMW device does not support XM Radio, due to an exclusive agreement between BMW and Sirius radio.
I forgot about that but you are absolutely correct.
post #8 of 24 Old May 24th, 2008, 9:52 am

Question Re: Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo

Thanks for the info.
Here is my conclusion so far:
No XM for BMW Zumo. It is only for Garmin Zumo.

Reference:
Link to BMW Zumo Owners manual: www.garmin.com/BMWzumo
Link to Garmin Zumo 550 Owners Manual: www.garmin.com/products/zumo550

Detail:
On one hand...
My BMW parts guy called Garmin and they said "Yes, the GXM30 XM radio/traffic receiver will work on the BMW Zumo".

On the other hand...
Page 7 of the Garmin Zumo 550 Owners Manual shows the Menu Page with 2 large icons:"Where to?" and "View map" and 5 small icons: Phone, Traffic, XM, Media Player, Settings.

Page 3 of the BMW Zumo Owners Manual shows the Menu Page with 2 large icons:"Where to?" and "View map" and 4 small icons: Phone, Traffic, Media Player, Settings.

Question: Is there any reason to pick the BMW Zumo over the Garmin Zumo 550?
The Garmin costs a third less and you can add XM radio.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by eggert; May 24th, 2008 at 11:46 am.
post #9 of 24 Old May 30th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Found on Garmin's FAQ
Question: Does the BMW Motorrad zūmo have XM capability like the zūmo 550?
Answer:

Unlike the zūmo 550, the BMW Motorrad zūmo is not compatible with the XM service. BMW has an agreement with another satellite radio provider.

Last modified on: 04/21/2008

2005 K1200LT

2006 BMW Xenon (HID) headlight (worth the $1,000!)
2006 VOICE2 comm system (with the big round knob)
Garmin (not BMW branded) Zumo 550 GPS/MP3/XM/audio book
Garmin GXM-30 XM music/traffic data pancake receiver siliconed near helmet plug
BMW branded CB, they are made by J&M and integrated with the comm
Kenwood TK3131 Freetalk XLS Walkie Talkie (that is what the 2 jacks on the comm are for)
BMW MOA #141483
post #10 of 24 Old May 30th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Having JUST received a Garmin Zumo 550, this is good stuff. Thanks for sharing it. Now, if I could just get my LT out of the shop...

The question on my mind at this time is: Can any SD card work in the Zumo, or do you have to purchase Garmin SD cards? They are much more expensive than your typical SD card; too bad if the answer is "yes".

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 24 Old May 31st, 2008, 6:17 am

Hi, Howard. You don't have to use a Garmin brand SD card. I wasn't even aware Garmin made SD memory cards.

If you have a Zumo, check out www.zumoforums.com for loads of information about the unit. There has been a lot of discussion over the sizes of memory cards that the Zumo will accept. I bought a 2G card but others have tried larger ones.

I am told that the latest firmware allows the Zumo to read high capacity SD cards even up to 16G but the Zumo has a limit of 1000 songs regardless of the size of the card. I use the XM radio more than the MP3 player so I haven't tried to put all of my music on the SD card and am nowhere near the maximum.

The songs must be in MP3 format for the Zumo. You will have to convert them otherwise. If you purchased songs from the iTunes store they are in a protected MP4 format. Lots of discussion on the Zumo forum for converting the files, though.
post #12 of 24 Old May 31st, 2008, 10:41 pm

Smile Re: Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo

I just bought the BMW zumo POWER CABLE from the BMW dealer for about $90.
There is a BMW part number on a flag of the BMW zumo cable in the BMW box.
The parts guy may have a hard time with it, so have him look at the cable.

SD cards are not brand specific. There are 2 kinds: the older regular ones go up to 2GB. The newer high density ones have a different memory access scheme and the device must be ready for that. The zumo is. Max is 32GB, the garmin tech support said 4GB and 1000 songs.

2005 K1200LT

Kenwood TK3131 Freetalk XLS Walkie Talkie (that is what the 2 jacks on the comm are for)
BMW MOA #141483

Last edited by eggert; May 31st, 2008 at 10:47 pm.
post #13 of 24 Old May 31st, 2008, 11:28 pm

I think the Zumo has problems utilizing anything above about 4GB. I don't mean that it can't have larger cards put into the memory slot. I have 8 GB cards that it reads just fine. The problem I have found is if I load nearly 1000 MP3 files, about 3GB, on an 8GB card I can't seem to get very much map data loaded on the card before the unit hangs up on boot. The map data I have been loading is Garmin Topo maps. If I don't put any music on the card I can load tons of map data. Maybe it can only keep track of a limited number of files. Just a wild guess. I suppose I could make some very large MP3 files or load some very large picture files to test the theory out but I just haven't been that motivated to diagnose it any further.

So from my experience anything larger than a 4GB card doesn't seem to be all that usable unless you have lots of very large files.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #14 of 24 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:21 pm

Please notice that BMW does not offer zumos on bikes that have a comm system. BMW does not have any interface cables for them.
OK, enough of the whining. I will spend the money and get this:
Baehr SILVERLINE Series K1200LT
Plug and Play Installation with Original BMW K1200LT Audio System
http://www.baehrusa.com/Specs_K1200LT.html
It is my understanding that Baehr are the ones who made the VOICE 1 and 2 systems for BMW. This better be good...
Does anyone have this thing?

2005 K1200LT

BMW MOA #141483

Last edited by eggert; Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:02 pm.
post #15 of 24 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the tips on the SD cards for the Zumo. I just came back from the barn, where I put the Zumo on the bike for the first time. I'm not going to worry about MP3 files at this time; I'm just happy to have a GPS on board!

I've never worked with MP3 files so don't know what is required yet to get these going. It would be a lot cheaper than buying the antenna to get XM radio through the Zumo

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 5:03 pm

I just ordered The Garmin Zumo 550...Thanks for the tips.....I should get it next week I hope it is as great at it seems
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 5:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
I just ordered The Garmin Zumo 550...Thanks for the tips.....I should get it next week I hope it is as great at it seems
I'm sure you'll like it. The Zumo is so intuitive (maybe they all are) that it's very easy to get up to speed with it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 24 Old Nov 12th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Its been a while since anyone visited this thread, but I have a 2009 K1200LT and opted out of the $1100 GPS from BMW, tho it still came with the mount and wiring for it. How do I know what GPS's are compatible to use with it? The manuals don't include that info and I am getting to the point where getting lost just to ride isn't all that fun anymore!
post #19 of 24 Old Nov 12th, 2010, 5:15 pm

I do not know where all the talk about the difference between the Garmin and the BMW really comes from. I have the BMW 550 unit and it receives all the garmin updates without any problem at all.
post #20 of 24 Old Nov 12th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin
Its been a while since anyone visited this thread, but I have a 2009 K1200LT and opted out of the $1100 GPS from BMW, tho it still came with the mount and wiring for it. How do I know what GPS's are compatible to use with it? The manuals don't include that info and I am getting to the point where getting lost just to ride isn't all that fun anymore!
Would it be possible for you to post a pic of the mount that you have, or connector(s) that plug into the GPS? From there, we can tell you what Garmin devices will work with that mount and wiring.
post #21 of 24 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

I have one of this Garmin 550 on KLT that I have outside of the US. How do I load the google map on to it so that I can use there when I ride? Thanks for any help.
post #22 of 24 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:54 am

Smile Re: Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo

Hello.
The short answer:
You need to buy a map "City Navigator NT" for your country or region on DVD, SD card, or as download. The SD card goes into the bottom of the GPS. You may need up to 4 GB for the map, they give the size on the download page. I have a 32GB SD card for music, and it works fine.
Here is more detail:
Google maps cannot be used on a Garmin GPS. The first step is to register your GPS with Garmin. Go to www.garmin.com. Click on the rightmost tab on the top titled "myGarmin". Click on the underlined blue "Register". After you have registered your GPS, you can use the "Garmin Account Sign In" to get to your account home page. You will see the tabs named: Home, myDashboard,myProducts, myMaps, myExtras, mySupport. Open the tab "myMaps". You will see a section for each of your devices with a link named "Shop for more maps". Open that and then click "View additional maps for this product", there are many choices for "City Navigator NT", just pick your country or region.
NOTE: Their support has always been very helpful to me with any question.

2005 K1200LT

BMW MOA #141483

Last edited by eggert; Jan 1st, 2012 at 12:03 pm.
post #23 of 24 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 12:58 pm

The BMW Zumo does not support loading the european map via the SD card sold by Garmin or any other way. I went thru two month of back and forth with Garmin in the US and than with Garmin Europe in the UK. The final verified answer is that you can load the regional European maps, but not all of Europe. The Garmin website and the US support people say otherwise. I finally sold mine and will get a TomTom rider before the season starts here.

The "support" I received from Garmin in the US was very incompetent and downright insulting. Like: Did you insert the card correctly? Is the unit charged? "You need to send the unit in for repairs". (It was just returned from Garmin rebuild at my expense because water entered it) and so on.. Finally I was told to contact the european operation. I did, and within seconds I was told that they are very familiar with the issue and irregardless of what the documentation or US office says you can not load the full European coverage.

So I paid to rebuild the unit and I bought the euromaps and still did have a nav unit that works in Europe. I finally sold it via e-bay in the US and Garmin lost a customer. I also replaced my garmin in the car with a TomTom. Their European maps and routing are far more accurate than Garmins.

This is disappointing since I have used and really liked Garmin products long before GPS was mainstream. At least in Europe, I think TomTom is now well ahead of Garmin.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #24 of 24 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 10:05 pm

Wolfgang, just as a side note, you cannot load the whole U.S. map either on the zumo 550. The memory is not large enough. I presume that the next generation zumo 600 series may be better in that respect.

2005 K1200LT

BMW MOA #141483

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in